Should I block software communicating with Norton or Windows firewall?

boing

Sep 13, 2001
If I wanted to stop software communicating with anyone (legit software, nothing dodgy) and I have Norton installed should I do it with windows firewall or Norton?

Norton seems to override windows so that was my assumption but I just wanted to check it was the way to go.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yes, and the only way to get the windows one back is to uninstall Norton.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Hmmm I'm running Windows firewall (with Windowx 10 Firewall Control) and Comodo firewall at the same time...???

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Firewalls can run simtaneously, but they shouldn't (they will interfere, aka slow you to a crawl). Pick the one you want, uninstall the others. If you pick Norton or Comodo, you may need to re-install if they aren't signaling Windows to disable its firewall, since you can't easily turn off Windows firewall for more than one session.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
With both Comodo & Norton, on install, they both disable window's firewall, since they both hook into the same routines.
That means that, if you somehow managed to activate them both, you wouldn't know which one was the one that has actual control.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
At least for mine, Windows gets first call, then Comodo. Prehaps Comodo behaves better with the builtin one than another aftermarket. dunno *shrugs*

boing

Sep 13, 2001
Yeah Norton seems to have taken over from windows, that suits me as it's a faster process to block throught Norton anyway, thanks for the feedback all.