Should I bite on this Fanatec wheel setup?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I got a Slickdeal notification on this thread, which shows the Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel at $199 (including shifter, pedals, and a Rennsport Wheel Stand v2. Total cost for the above plus a shifter adapter is $255 shipped.

Unfortunately this model cannot be used on a 360, and I can't really justify the $300+ for the GT3 wheel (which is 360/PC/PS3 compatible).

Amazon also has the G27 for $243, but again, no 360 compatibility.

Right now I'm leaning towards waiting until I can spend the money on a GT3 wheel so I can run it on a 360 as well, but this seems to be a really good deal and the wheel stand would be helpful in the future as well. I already have a Driving Force Pro, so I could theoretically run GTR2/etc with two players (with wheels).

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
No because Forza Motorsport 4 is coming out around October or November, and is a 360 exclusive. By all accounts it should be a pretty awesome game. Go for a wheel that is compatible with all 3 even if it costs a bit more.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
No because Forza Motorsport 4 is coming out around October or November, and is a 360 exclusive. By all accounts it should be a pretty awesome game. Go for a wheel that is compatible with all 3 even if it costs a bit more.

Yeah; the more I think about it, the more I realize I should just wait for an all-inclusive wheel. The GT3 is definitely a lot more expensive, but it's also a better wheel anyway.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Bah, so after a little looking, I've realized that the GT3 RS wheel isn't 360 compatible either. To get that, I need the GT2 which is $249.95 for the wheel alone. Add $199.95 for the Clubsport pedals and another $29.95 for the shifter.

I'm considering this again now, since I can always upgrade the wheel and pedals later. When I do want to upgrade, I can sell the Carrera wheel/pedals and replace them with the GT2 and Clubsport set. I could also do it in stages (wheel first for 360 use, then pedals later) but doing it together would save on shipping.

Hmmmm.

Sep 7, 2009
I've never had a console setup in a way that would allow for mounting pedal and wheels. So for me, personally, PC=mount to desk and done. 360=build racing setup complete with chair.

Downside is it's tough to play on PC with people over.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Well, I bit. Everything showed up yesterday, at which point I noticed that they didn't ship my pedals or shifter. :(

However, I also noticed that instead of them sending me their base model Carrera wheel (which I ordered), they sent me their flagship GT2 wheel. :awe:

I'm hoping their customer service department will send me my pedals/shifter and let me keep this...we'll see.

I also built my own playseat-style setup yesterday. I'll post pics once I've painted it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
are you sure you ordered the right set?

The deal comes with the fanatec stand as well.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
are you sure you ordered the right set?

The deal comes with the fanatec stand as well.

They sent me everything I ordered except the pedals and shifter, which are supposed to come with the Carrera wheel.

My invoice:

ClubSport Shifter Paddles for Porsche wheels 1 pcs 19.95

RennSport Wheel Stand Shifter adapter 1 pcs 19.95
for Porsche wheels and G25

Steel plate for standard pedals 1 pcs 14.95

Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel US - Final Edition 1 pcs 199.95

Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel US 1 pcs

RennSport Wheel Stand V 2 1 pcs

shipping charge USA 1 pcs 22.00

Last edited:

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
damn that is a good deal... much better then spending 200 bucks on a g25 like I did! (i've had mine for a couple years though)

shitty part is I never use it anymore... maybe i'll sell it

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
damn that is a good deal... much better then spending 200 bucks on a g25 like I did! (i've had mine for a couple years though)

shitty part is I never use it anymore... maybe i'll sell it

The G25 is not a bad wheel...not at all. If I had one, I wouldn't have bought this setup - but all I had was a Driving Force Pro, and I really wanted a clutch pedal and proper shifter.

Do you have a solid mount setup for your G25? Going from a wobbly computer desk/chair to a proper seat setup makes as much or more of a difference as going from a controller to a wheel on a wobbly desk does. IMHO, anyway. ;)

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
The G25 is not a bad wheel...not at all. If I had one, I wouldn't have bought this setup - but all I had was a Driving Force Pro, and I really wanted a clutch pedal and proper shifter.

Do you have a solid mount setup for your G25? Going from a wobbly computer desk/chair to a proper seat setup makes as much or more of a difference as going from a controller to a wheel on a wobbly desk does. IMHO, anyway. ;)

sort of.. the wheel and shifter were mounted (with bolts), and the pedals sat against the bottom of my desk so it would never move.

my problem was the damn chair. The chair would always move when I did anything aggressive. Kind of sucked. Hardwood floors don't help either

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
sort of.. the wheel and shifter were mounted (with bolts), and the pedals sat against the bottom of my desk so it would never move.

my problem was the damn chair. The chair would always move when I did anything aggressive. Kind of sucked. Hardwood floors don't help either

Yep. Plus the angles are all wrong if you're using a desk and sitting in a normal height chair with pedals on the floor.

You need to build something like I did. It's not the prettiest thing ever, but I'll post pics after I'm done painting it (first coat went on this morning). :D

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Still no luck with Fanatec getting my pedals/shifter shipped - I'm really tempted to order the Logitech G27 for $205 from Newegg (deal ends today), but then I'll have three wheels (and that's another $200 gone)...

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
I have the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel with the clubsport pedals. It works great with the PC and Xbox 360, but I could never get it configured how I like it with GT5 on the PS3.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I have the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel with the clubsport pedals. It works great with the PC and Xbox 360, but I could never get it configured how I like it with GT5 on the PS3.

Well, it's the last day of the G27 sale so I splurged and ordered a set. I can use it alone, or use my GT2 wheel with the G27 pedals until Fanatec decides to send me the parts I am missing.

I suppose I'll flip my Driving Force Pro on Craigslist to offset the cost a bit...but at least this way I'll be playing properly sooner than later. I have a (real) race coming up in October and I need to turn some laps on Nelson Ledges so I don't go into it cold. :D

Edit: Sooo, epic derp? I just realized that the plug on my DFP pedals plugs into the G25/G27 pedal adapter that came with the GT2...so it looks like they may work in the interim. Oh well...should be able to get $200 for a NIB G27 easily enough.

Last edited: