Should I be concerned about this odd error?

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by computerbuildin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. computerbuildin

computerbuildin Senior member

Since last night, my PC has been completely fine, running how it usually does. Shut it down, its fine. So about 20 minutes ago, I got home, and turned my computer on. Normally id expect it booting up fine. But instead for some reason my monitors didn't come out of standby and my computer actually stayed on for maybe 10 seconds. Normally I wouldn't see that as a post failure. All computers ive had and any other post failures ive seen just turn on, then back off within like a second or 2. Mine did turn itself back on, like what happens when post fails, and then my computer said an error ive never seen before, without even going to the splash screen. From my memory, it said something like. "Due to recent changes in the BIOS, the computer has failed the POST test, would you like to go to BIOS to change things back, or boot in?" Im guessing this is part of the watchdog setting in bios? Anyway that was, well really random because you wouldn't even believe how paranoid I am about making changes to my computer. I never go into the bios, why did I get a K chip? well I figured id get out of my paranoia later on. I went into the bios and noticed everything is how it should be, so why did this happen? I just exited and my computer booted into windows fine. I was still confused, but I checked the system event viewer. I looked up within the last hour and all I could find that looked like an error said this. "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected." What?

2. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Sounds like somehow your system got infected with a Trojan or other malware.

3. computerbuildin

Hmm, well. You were right on the virus/trojan part. Just did a full scan and turns out I got a trojan dropper. According to norton, it says that its been fully removed along with any files it could have possibly created. You may have been right about the virus part, but how could this virus even mess around with the bios? I've heard of insane viruses that go real deep, but this wasn't one of them.

4. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

They do

5. mlc

mlc Senior member

look at it this way... if you can flash your BIOS from within windows, which we know you can, then it makes sense that virus can also access and attack your bios in the same way..

6. computerbuildin

Either way, i think it could be gone. But i just found it odd nothing changed. Or the bios was just corrupted. I hope not.