Should hearsay be acceptable evidence in a court of law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
article about petersen's arrest
Text

hearsay law article
Text

Cliffs:

Guy's third wife dies, ruled accidental. Guy's 4th wife goes missing, guy is a suspect. 3rd wife's remains are exhumed, and new law is passed allowing hearsay from murdered victims. 3rd wife told her sister "If I ever die, it's because Drew killed me"

I don't know about this... what would be a legitimate reason for allowing this? that's a pretty big nudge of the law. But they do use it in other states apparently.

according to wiki:

One major misconception about the hearsay rule is that hearsay is never admissible in court. While the general rule is that such evidence is inadmissible, there are many exceptions.

maybe this is one of them.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
I heard from a buddy of mine that Daveymark killed Drew's 3rd wife.

Now me saying that doesnt make it true. ;)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If it's allowed under certain circumstances already, this seems an appropriate situation. Of course Conviction on that alone should not be allowed, but given 2 Wives of 1 guy meet(potentially) similar fates is a little too much to be mere coincidence.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Heresay is allowed all the time.

The thing is this is the Presses favorite technique. According to unnamed sources . . . Whenever the press uses this technique they should get a fine.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
He is a murdering scumbag that deserves to be locked up. In this instance, I fully agree the ends justify the means.

This is how it'll work, they'll go to court, jury will convict him on the evidence, then an appellate court will decide if hearsay is truly allowable in this type of situation.

We're a very long way off before determining if hearsay is acceptable, so let's watch this unfold.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
People can testify via video uplink.

If they allow hearsay like this it is an erosion on our freedom as citizens.

D

Deleted member 4644

ha ha.. federal rules of evidence.. I hate them.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
From what I remember, the reason for barring hearsay evidence from trial is because juries may possibly grant that evidence greater weight than they should. In my opinion, this is rather paternalistic, but given the intelligence of the average American, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm kind of torn on this one.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Rather than allowing hearsay I would prefer Congress to pass the "Throw Drew Peterson in Fucking Jail Act of 2009". That guy is a menace.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, iirc, is there for a reason. Heresay evidence simply isn't reliable enough to allow into court, as it would easily contaminate a jury. However, rule 803, iirc, grants exception to the hearsay rule under certain conditions which allow hearsay to be much more reliable as evidence.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Rather than allowing hearsay I would prefer Congress to pass the "Throw Drew Peterson in Fucking Jail Act of 2009". That guy is a menace.

Bills of Attainer FTL. This guy is a total douchebag though, and I wouldn't be opposed to watching him get tarred and feathered on C-SPAN, live.

Status
Not open for further replies.