Should have had more fun with UT2004 when it was fresh

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Theres about 40 games running and only 6 of them actually have people playing.

I recall a time when there were hundreds of games with thousands of people.

And the bots are either way too easy for me, or way too hard. Still havent found a perfect level even with what is it, like 9 difficulty settings?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
such is the life of old games. Sad, 2k4 was great fun. But now it's impossible to play outside of lan parties.

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
I've been meaning to reinstall it for quite sometime now, but have been too lazy to sift through my game boxes to find the CDs (DVDs?), lol.

I'll get to it someday... I swear!

Of all the thousands of people playing "duck, aim, shoot" games (looking at you, COD/ BF3), I wonder how many actually miss the whole arena-genre.

Urtho

Feb 9, 2000
Clan DW --> http://www.clandw.org/ still runs a bunch of very popular servers for UT2K4 depending on what you're looking for. Invasion RPG and ONS are still heavily populated in the prime gaming times, sometimes completely full up. Omnipotents ONS is usually nearly full up as well if you're looking for some heavily modded ONS vehicle action.

You can also still find some DM/Team DM/TAM action at times on some servers if that's your thing with TAM seeing the most traffic. Don't know about CTF, never got into that for 2K4 after burning out on it coming from UT but I'm sure there's still some server action for it if you look around a bit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont like Onslaught and I dunno what Omnipotents onslaught is.

Since I didnt play the crap out of it like other people I still get joy from basic CTF and DM. I dont like Double Domination much. Regular Domination was a crapload better in my opinion.
Assault is good but people are tired of the default maps and not many folks have made good, fun user maps.

Oh, and I miss the good old days when you could have up to 4 teams.
In fact I think 2003 was just a visual and physics update and did nothing for gameplay, other than Invasion but I think UT had that eventually.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Assault is good but people are tired of the default maps and not many folks have made good, fun user maps.

Man, you missed some good fun back in the day. I played Assault non-stop on the same server that had a cycle of about 50 fan made maps; same server was almost always full too. Easily some of my greatest times in gaming was in that very mode.

Now I'm playing BF3, which really pales in comparison.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
I remember playing with a community that focused on Invasion and all it's various mods. Those were some good times...

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I remember that game. Loved playing the demo so bought the full game about 3-6 months after release. Then found out that except of a few over seas servers, the only servers with people playing on them was servers running the demo maps.

what a waste of money buy at that point in time was.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
We had a LAN recently with about 12 people, we loaded up UT2004 for fun, and daaaaaamn that game holds up well. Bombing Run is seriously the greatest game mode ever created, I think we had a 3-hour match! =D

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Of all the thousands of people playing "duck, aim, shoot" games (looking at you, COD/ BF3), I wonder how many actually miss the whole arena-genre.

I play BF3 like I was playing Q2/CS. Just rush around and shoot people. I die a lot because of it, but its more fun that way.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I dont like Onslaught and I dunno what Omnipotents onslaught is.

Since I didnt play the crap out of it like other people I still get joy from basic CTF and DM. I dont like Double Domination much. Regular Domination was a crapload better in my opinion.

Oh, and I miss the good old days when you could have up to 4 teams.
In fact I think 2003 was just a visual and physics update and did nothing for gameplay, other than Invasion but I think UT had that eventually.

How can you not like Onslaught? That was the whole game!

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Epic should re-make UT again with an updated graphics engine. But make the game mechanics exactly like the original UT. That was the best. Capture the Flag with instagib shock rifles and low grav was fun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Epic should re-make UT again with an updated graphics engine. But make the game mechanics exactly like the original UT. That was the best. Capture the Flag with instagib shock rifles and low grav was fun.

The have instagib CTF in UT2004, and low grav is a mutator.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
The have instagib CTF in UT2004, and low grav is a mutator.

I enjoyed UT2004 as well when it was new. Like you said now the community just isn't there anymore, they've all moved on to newer games. and UT3 was a flop. I played the demo and it was terrible. Mostly because the UI was bad. They also managed to screw up the server browser. I tried to offer constructive criticism on their forums but their stupid heavy handed moderators just banned anyone that didn't spew blind praise for their immense foul up of a demo.

That's what sold UT and UT2004 was a great demo that played perfectly and was lots of fun making you want more (gametypes, maps and mods)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
TF2 and CS and L4D are way too popular. They killed all the other team shooters.
Granted, they have superior matchmaking and the engine allows almost anybody to play (even integrated Intel graphics) so I understand why.

But I still miss my Unreal. In fact because Gears of War took over it doesnt look like we will ever get Unreal 3 or anything else out of Epic.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I've been meaning to reinstall it for quite sometime now, but have been too lazy to sift through my game boxes to find the CDs (DVDs?), lol.

I'll get to it someday... I swear!

Its to the point I'd rather torrent the game than dig through my old CD's. How freaking lazy is that?

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I got banned from an invasion server for "aimbotting".

Seriously ignorant admin, who writes an aimbot that targets monsters?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What's truly sad is that one of the main centers for the Unreal community, PlanetUnreal forums, is now Spam central. There hasn't been a serious Post there in 3 or 4 years.

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
I play BF3 like I was playing Q2/CS. Just rush around and shoot people. I die a lot because of it, but its more fun that way.

TBH, I'm only playing BF3 to unlock all the gadgets and whatnot.

Aside from the awesome eye and ear-candy, I can't say that I'm actually having any fun at all...