Should GM/Ford/Dodge be worried about the Nissan Titan? **UPDATE 2** New article @ TheCarConnection

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
Pickuptruck.com article

9400-pound trailering capacity, the highest of any full-size extended cab

The Ext. cab 4WD NYS GMC does 9600 ;) and the Crew-Cab HD does 10,200lbs[/quote]

Are those both 1/2 ton trucks? The Titan is 1/2 ton IIRC

Feb 10, 2000
Wow - the more I read, the more impressed I am. It sounds as though they have really focused on trying to build a serious machine (as opposed to just rushing out a full-size truck), and for the most part the features they have included actually sound smart and well-thought-out. I just wonder how the truck will be priced versus the competition.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Yeah 4WS is only available in the 1/2 tons right now and the 1500HD is crew only.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2000
Nissan expects to sell 100,000 Titan's in its first fiscal year of availability (August 2004 - March 2005) after the truck goes on sale December 1, 2003

A year is quite a bit of turn-around time for the Big 3 to "get on top of things" so to speak. And considering they have half a year to enter the market, 100,000 seems feasible. (The Tundra hit right around that mark on it's first full year right?) I just think the Titan is going to be battling the Tundra for 4th place, simply put. Look at the Frontier - better than any of it's domestic competition, but pretty much last in sales.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Nissan expects to sell 100,000 Titan's in its first fiscal year of availability (August 2004 - March 2005) after the truck goes on sale December 1, 2003

A year is quite a bit of turn-around time for the Big 3 to "get on top of things" so to speak. And considering they have half a year to enter the market, 100,000 seems feasible. (The Tundra hit right around that mark on it's first full year right?) I just think the Titan is going to be battling the Tundra for 4th place, simply put. Look at the Frontier - better than any of it's domestic competition, but pretty much last in sales.

Damn, you're right. The Tacoma is in 2nd place behind the Ranger; even still the Toyota sold twice as many Tacomas as Nissan did Frontiers.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

doesn't help that the front of it was designed in socal where people have no clue about what a truck is used for.

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4

Damn, you're right. The Tacoma is in 2nd place behind the Ranger; even still the Toyota sold twice as many Tacomas as Nissan did Frontiers.

If you think the Tacoma is better than the Frontier you're wrong - my friends was a total POS, just traded it for a Mazda Protege5.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

If you think the Tacoma is better than the Frontier you're wrong - my friends was a total POS, just traded it for a Mazda Protege5.

Umm, where did I say anything about it beting better than a Ffrontier. Lay off the booze my friend ;)

Apr 5, 2000

Umm, where did I say anything about it beting better than a Ffrontier. Lay off the booze my friend ;)

I dunno, didnt know if you were serious or there was sarcasm :)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
the only thing that is weird to me is the swing doors... they need to get on the true 4 door Crew Cab bandwagon.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
the only thing that is weird to me is the swing doors... they need to get on the true 4 door Crew Cab bandwagon.

Crew-cab model will be shown at the Chicago auto show.

MowSow

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2001
The truth is that .. sooner or later import trucks will take over the market, it has already taken over 40% of the market, at the same time that Ford have registered record lost, GMC is still doing OK.
The only reason why the switch is slower in the truck domain, is because most of truck buyers are located in red neck america, and it will take a little longer for them to make the switch ..
on the long term, I do not see any domestic auto manufacturer surviving this battle, there will either be bought up, like Chrysler, or they will just simply go out of business...
The better product is the only product that will survive in a free market..

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Yeah but the 4.7 in the Tundra is a joke in it's current shape and the axels look like they will snap at the sight of a real gooseneck.

Before they become a threat they have to become fully functional and proven.

Last edited:

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember back then, the model life for a full size truck was like 10+ years. Ever since the debut of the new Ram in '94, there's been a flurry of new products. Seems like they now get changed as quickly as passenger cars in the model cycle. Competition is good. :)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Yep the days when parts grew on tree's, now you have to know your VIN number by heart and $h!t costs up the wazoo.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MowSow
The truth is that .. sooner or later import trucks will take over the market, it has already taken over 40% of the market, at the same time that Ford have registered record lost, GMC is still doing OK.
The only reason why the switch is slower in the truck domain, is because most of truck buyers are located in red neck america, and it will take a little longer for them to make the switch ..
on the long term, I do not see any domestic auto manufacturer surviving this battle, there will either be bought up, like Chrysler, or they will just simply go out of business...

What makes you think it's a free market? And what makes you think the better product is the only one that is surviving? I could name off plenty of sub-par or products that are worse than it's competition, yet outsells it's better competition by a 2:1 margin, if not more. The fact that you used the term "red neck" means you're obviously an import fanboy with nothing to base your statements on but your opinions.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MowSow

What makes you think it's a free market? And what makes you think the better product is the only one that is surviving? I could name off plenty of sub-par or products that are worse than it's competition, yet outsells it's better competition by a 2:1 margin, if not more. The fact that you used the term "red neck" means you're obviously an import fanboy with nothing to base your statements on but your opinions.

buuuurnn!