Should GM/Ford/Dodge be worried about the Nissan Titan? **UPDATE 2** New article @ TheCarConnection

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm thinking YES!! Sure, Nissan is only planning on selling a bit over 100,000 the FIRST year, but the sales have to come out of someone's ass. Toyota has a 4-door Crew-Cab Tundra coming out for '04 along with a new 5.5 liter V8 (I've been saying 5.4 for the past few months, but I've been corrected; it's 5.5).

The one thing that sticks out to me (at least compared to the new '04 F-150) is the Titan's standard 300HP/375lb-ft V8. Ford standard V8 is 238/293 while it's OPTIONAL V8 is 300/365. Back that up with the Titan's 9400 lb towing capacity and people start talking.

UPDATE!!!

Pickuptruck.com article
TheCarConnection article

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4
I'm thinking YES!! Sure, Nissan is only planning on selling a bit over 100,000 the FIRST year, but the sales have to come out of someone's ass. Toyota has a 4-door Crew-Cab Tundra coming out for '04 along with a new 5.5 liter V8 (I've been saying 5.4 for the past few months, but I've been corrected; it's 5.5).

The one thing that sticks out to me (at least compared to the new '04 F-150) is the Titan's standard 300HP/375lb-ft V8. Ford standard V8 is 238/293 while it's OPTIONAL V8 is 300/365. Back that up with the Titan's 9400 lb towing capacity and people start talking.

I personally think, being a Nissan fan-boy and all, that Nissan will sell LESS than 100k the first year. I don't think that people will embrace the new-comer. Most of the truck owners are die-hards and fan-boys of their respective make. It'll tkae time (more than few years) for Nissan to become a strong contender. As well, they provbably have to sort out the first year production bugs which will pop-up, and they will add improvements.

Rumour has it that in a year or so, they'll release a S/C 5.6L and a Cummins diesel in their line-up.

And dammit NFS4, stop making these car-related/NIssan threads..I have to study you know! :p

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I don't think they should worry but I think it will be well on par with them and if Toyo refines that 4.7 abit and increases the Tundra size an extra 1/10 it'll be well on par also.

I think if Nissan can prove themselves with their drivetrain Dodge better really watch out when they use a Cummins and back it with a better Transmission :Q
Time for them to hop on the 5 Speed Auto bandwagon.

While the big 5 speeds from Ford and GM are far less efficient then the 4 speed Auto's (30%-35% loss to the wheels over 15-20% from the 4R100 and 4L80-E) they are proving to be very durable.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

pics?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
I don't think they should worry but I think it will be well on par with them and if Toyo refines that 4.7 abit and increases the Tundra size an extra 1/10 it'll be well on par also.

I think if Nissan can prove themselves with their drivetrain Dodge better really watch out when they use a Cummins and back it with a better Transmission :Q
Time for them to hop on the 5 Speed Auto bandwagon.

Well Nissan's strong points is their drivetrain. All their models (from the very beginning) have had great drivetrains. I know their Hardbody's were used extestively all around the world (from India to Nigeria to Australia to the US/Canada) and many are still running with over 250k on them.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

pics?

scroll down

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

pics?

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/naias2003/nissan/titan1.html

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
If Nissan and Toyota can get truck buyers into their showrooms and take their vehicles for a spin the domestics are in for a battle. People who buy trucks b/c they need a truck are unlikely to gravitate to the imports anytime soon.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

pics?

i've said it before and i'll say it again, it looks like a dodge in profile

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

pics?

Very nice.

Feb 24, 2001
I dunno about elsewhere, but no real man drives anything other than a domestic full size pickup here. Not to say it's not a damn fine vehicle, I just don't see how it would sell here. I've only seen women driving Tundras around these parts. Maybe cause it's redneck city :p

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
I dunno about elsewhere, but no real man drives anything other than a domestic full size pickup here. Not to say it's not a damn fine vehicle, I just don't see how it would sell here. I've only seen women driving Tundras around these parts. Maybe cause it's redneck city :p

Even little trucks are more manly than cars.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As for specs, here they are:

2004 Nissan Titan King Cab

The all-new 2004 Nissan Titan King Cab brings an exceptional combination of powerful performance, bold styling and a new level of innovation -to the full-size pickup market. Among Titan's unique design features are the King Cab's Wide-Open rear doors that open nearly 180 degrees for almost unlimited interior access, an industry-first factory-applied spray-in bedliner, a lockable climate-resistant bedside storage compartment and Nissan's exclusive Utili-track bed channel tie-down system that provides ultimate cargo hauling flexibility.
The Titan is built on an all-new rugged pickup platform, featuring a newly designed Nissan Endurance 5.6-liter DOHC V8 with over 300 horsepower and more than 375 lb-ft of torque, standard 5-speed automatic transmission and a towing capacity of up to 9,400 pounds. The Nissan Titan will be available in both King Cab and Crew Cab models, with a choice of 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive.
The new Titan, which was conceived, developed, styled and engineered primarily in North America, will be assembled at Nissan's new $1.43 billion manufacturing facility in Canton, Mississippi. The Titan is scheduled to go on sale at more than 1,100 Nissan dealers nationwide in late 2003. Highlights of the 2004 Nissan Titan King Cab full-size pickup include:

Body

Available in King Cab and Crew Cab (to be shown in April 2003) configurations
Innovative Wide-Open rear doors that swing open nearly 180 degrees (King Cab models)
6.5-foot bed with available high-utility bed features:
Factory-applied spray-in bedliner
Utili-track bed channel system with adjustable aluminum-alloy tie-down cleats and available accessory racks, trays, dividers and modular storage systems
Unique lockable, climate-resistant bedside storage compartment located immediately behind the driver's side rear wheelwell, with two-position adjustable tray and removable rubber mat
Cargo area light with first-in-segment tailgate illumination and bed-mounted 12-volt utility powerpoint
Enhanced bed reinforcement design (bed corners and upper portion of header panel, 22 additional structural reinforcements with Utili-track bed channel system)
Chrome-plated steel front bumper with available body-color side fascias, integrated chrome-plated rear bumper finisher for enhanced scratch protection

Engine and Driveline

Standard Nissan Endurance 5.6-liter DOHC V8 producing over 300 horsepower and more than 375 lb-ft of torque
Aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners, forged steel crankshaft, microfinished crankshaft and camshaft, molybdenum-coated pistons, 6-bolt main bearing caps, Super Silent single-stage timing chain
Standard 5-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with manual shift and tow/haul modes for enhanced fuel economy and towing capacity

Available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Brake Activated Limited Slip Traction Control (includes deactivation switch)
Standard Dana 44 front and rear axles
Tire Pressure Monitor System

4-Wheel Drive Features

Available shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive system with 2WD/4H/4LO modes, electronic control part-time transfer case; best-in-class 4LO crawl gear ratio
Class-exclusive electronically controlled locking rear differential (switch operated)
7.5x17 brushed aluminum-alloy wheels and 285/70R17 tires (off-road package)
Skid plates for lower radiator, transfer case and fuel tank
Available Rancho gas shocks

Suspension, Steering and Braking

All-steel double wishbone front suspension
Rigid leaf (dual rate) rear suspension with shackles mounted along frame sides for maximum ground clearance
Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
Standard 7.5x17 painted steel wheels and 245/75R17 tires
8.0x18 aluminum-alloy wheels and 265/70R18 tires (SE and LE)
4-wheel disc brakes with Bosch Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

Interior Features

Power-adjustable front seats with available driver's seat memory system, available heated front seats
Full-size door handles, knobs and steering wheel specifically designed for operation with work gloves
Flip-up rear seat cushions for added cargo space and flexibility, grocery hooks on bottom of seat cushions (King Cab)
Center console (except on front bench seat models) with 12-volt adapter
Ample rear storage, including door storage bins and rear door bottle holders in armrests
Oversize assist grips and coat hanger system
Power front windows with one-touch up and down function
Sporty instrument panel with six gauges

Safety and Security

Zone Body construction with front and rear crushable zones and occupant zone
Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and a front occupant classification sensor), 3-point front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
Supplemental front side-impact air bags with available supplemental side-impact curtain air bags (the first time available in a full-size extended cab pickup)
3-point seat belts for all rear seat occupants, including center position
LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren) child seat safety system

Models and Manufacturing

Available in 4x4 and 4x2 King Cab and Crew Cab body configurations
Assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Canton Mississippi Plant

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
As for specs, here they are:

2004 Nissan Titan King Cab

The all-new 2004 Nissan Titan King Cab brings an exceptional combination of powerful performance, bold styling and a new level of innovation -to the full-size pickup market. Among Titan's unique design features are the King Cab's Wide-Open rear doors that open nearly 180 degrees for almost unlimited interior access, an industry-first factory-applied spray-in bedliner, a lockable climate-resistant bedside storage compartment and Nissan's exclusive Utili-track bed channel tie-down system that provides ultimate cargo hauling flexibility.
The Titan is built on an all-new rugged pickup platform, featuring a newly designed Nissan Endurance 5.6-liter DOHC V8 with over 300 horsepower and more than 375 lb-ft of torque, standard 5-speed automatic transmission and a towing capacity of up to 9,400 pounds. The Nissan Titan will be available in both King Cab and Crew Cab models, with a choice of 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive.
The new Titan, which was conceived, developed, styled and engineered primarily in North America, will be assembled at Nissan's new $1.43 billion manufacturing facility in Canton, Mississippi. The Titan is scheduled to go on sale at more than 1,100 Nissan dealers nationwide in late 2003. Highlights of the 2004 Nissan Titan King Cab full-size pickup include:

Body

Available in King Cab and Crew Cab (to be shown in April 2003) configurations
Innovative Wide-Open rear doors that swing open nearly 180 degrees (King Cab models)
6.5-foot bed with available high-utility bed features:
Factory-applied spray-in bedliner
Utili-track bed channel system with adjustable aluminum-alloy tie-down cleats and available accessory racks, trays, dividers and modular storage systems
Unique lockable, climate-resistant bedside storage compartment located immediately behind the driver's side rear wheelwell, with two-position adjustable tray and removable rubber mat
Cargo area light with first-in-segment tailgate illumination and bed-mounted 12-volt utility powerpoint
Enhanced bed reinforcement design (bed corners and upper portion of header panel, 22 additional structural reinforcements with Utili-track bed channel system)
Chrome-plated steel front bumper with available body-color side fascias, integrated chrome-plated rear bumper finisher for enhanced scratch protection

Engine and Driveline

Standard Nissan Endurance 5.6-liter DOHC V8 producing over 300 horsepower and more than 375 lb-ft of torque
Aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners, forged steel crankshaft, microfinished crankshaft and camshaft, molybdenum-coated pistons, 6-bolt main bearing caps, Super Silent single-stage timing chain
Standard 5-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with manual shift and tow/haul modes for enhanced fuel economy and towing capacity

Available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Brake Activated Limited Slip Traction Control (includes deactivation switch)
Standard Dana 44 front and rear axles
Tire Pressure Monitor System

4-Wheel Drive Features

Available shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive system with 2WD/4H/4LO modes, electronic control part-time transfer case; best-in-class 4LO crawl gear ratio
Class-exclusive electronically controlled locking rear differential (switch operated)
7.5x17 brushed aluminum-alloy wheels and 285/70R17 tires (off-road package)
Skid plates for lower radiator, transfer case and fuel tank
Available Rancho gas shocks

Suspension, Steering and Braking

All-steel double wishbone front suspension
Rigid leaf (dual rate) rear suspension with shackles mounted along frame sides for maximum ground clearance
Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
Standard 7.5x17 painted steel wheels and 245/75R17 tires
8.0x18 aluminum-alloy wheels and 265/70R18 tires (SE and LE)
4-wheel disc brakes with Bosch Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

Interior Features

Power-adjustable front seats with available driver's seat memory system, available heated front seats
Full-size door handles, knobs and steering wheel specifically designed for operation with work gloves
Flip-up rear seat cushions for added cargo space and flexibility, grocery hooks on bottom of seat cushions (King Cab)
Center console (except on front bench seat models) with 12-volt adapter
Ample rear storage, including door storage bins and rear door bottle holders in armrests
Oversize assist grips and coat hanger system
Power front windows with one-touch up and down function
Sporty instrument panel with six gauges

Safety and Security

Zone Body construction with front and rear crushable zones and occupant zone
Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and a front occupant classification sensor), 3-point front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
Supplemental front side-impact air bags with available supplemental side-impact curtain air bags (the first time available in a full-size extended cab pickup)
3-point seat belts for all rear seat occupants, including center position
LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren) child seat safety system

Models and Manufacturing

Available in 4x4 and 4x2 King Cab and Crew Cab body configurations
Assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Canton Mississippi Plant

Hmm it is missing an 8 foot bed option and an option for a smaller v8/v6.

Other than that, nice.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Engine power is simple to add truck guys just want a good foundation, it's the durability of the drivetrain thats the b!tch, and if like you said is true they will do very well.

Last edited:

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001

What's it really put down to the wheels though? Crank power ratings are good for bragging.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
You prolly won't find that on the net for awhile, and when you do it'll be on a Nissan forum by a private owner.

Last edited:

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Personal taste. It looks very... unappealing..... that is the best word I can find to describe it. It won't compete with the big three. Or Little ol' Toyota for that matter.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

Even little trucks are more manly than cars.

Says the yuppie.