Should ESSENTIAL utilities be controlled by private companies.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Hmm, Enron?

Enron is an example of why proper regulation is needed. The nature of a utility is that it is a licensed monopoly, or close to it. Competition is scarce and separate infrastructures are wasteful, expensive and on the whole ridiculous. We do not need a return to the age of robber barons.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
My most recent electric bill is $121.00 (I participate in a program that rounds up the amount owed and contributes it to help provide electricity for the less fortunate) and the taxes and fees included in that amount came to $32.37.

so the Government is collecting a 25% profit?

and DCal wants to give them more :confused:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
How much of a pay raise would you like next time you get a review.

How much increase are you getting on your investments? How much do you want?

And he doesn't expect the utility to make any money that can be used later for infrastructure upgrades/improvements.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Similar to the fiasco in Illinois where the rates climb to pay for needed improvements ASAP.

Pay now a little at a time or pay later in one large chunk; which has the least pain?

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Please explain how this would be done. Have multiple electrical lines, sewer lines, water lines, etc? Streets constantly under construction to maintain all of this.

And why build infrastructure and provide service to remote areas or areas that wouldn't be profitable?

Since you can't think, ask someone for help before you post.

Not sure if you or the OP makes the more stupid threads.

Wow. Do you honestly think that there is no place on earth that has figured out how to have competing utilities use the same lines?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Similar to the fiasco in Illinois where the rates climb to pay for needed improvements ASAP.

Pay not a little at a time or pay later in one large chunk; which has the least pain?

Commonwealth Ed has a strangelhold on people. The government is not really looking out for the people with them either.

I'm not for state sponsored monopoly's.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Which I think speaks more to systemic issues, not public vs. private. This could be fixed by overhauling campaign finance and how lobbying works, which would fix a ton of other problems too. So I am not disagreeing, just that I think this is a symptom of how campaigns are financed, and how lobbying is allowed to work and what lobbyists are allowed to get away with.

Totally agree

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Of course they should control them. You want your basic essentials trusted by the corrupt government? I don't think so Liberals. The private businesses in contrast have your best interests at heart.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Totally agree

And yet when the bureaucracy has long had sole control over the issues I've mentioned they've failed, no bribes necessary, just complete unaccountability. When has that even proven a good idea?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Please explain how this would be done. Have multiple electrical lines, sewer lines, water lines, etc? Streets constantly under construction to maintain all of this.

And why build infrastructure and provide service to remote areas or areas that wouldn't be profitable?

Since you can't think, ask someone for help before you post.

Not sure if you or the OP makes the more stupid threads.
I have a choice for my natural gas provider and I have chosen an alternate provider both at my home and business. Their rate is less of course. They provide natural gas at a lower rate and feed it into the distribution system.

Electricity would work the same way. Feed the grid with lower cost electricity.

Now, concerning someone who can't think...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
National and State level governments tend to have lots of corruption, local government which is closer to the people tend to have much lower levels of corruption.

Really. Google Bell, California.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I have a choice for my natural gas provider and I have chosen an alternate provider both at my home and business. Their rate is less of course. They provide natural gas at a lower rate and feed it into the distribution system.

And who pays for the distribution system?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

/more facepalm

Did the original utility company that installed the infrastructure decide to allow competitors to use their infrastructure due to free market forces? Or did someone force them to?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Commonwealth Ed has a strangelhold on people. The government is not really looking out for the people with them either.

comed has a stranglehold on everyone. even the local unions have no leverage against comed.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Wow. Do you honestly think that there is no place on earth that has figured out how to have competing utilities use the same lines?

Feeder costs into the distribution system is the issue.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Change your state government to be of the people, for the people, by the people.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
These regulatory commisions are in the pockets of the big business. PUC, FDA, EPA, USDA, ect all in the pockets of big companies, this is well known.

Here is in Cali the State PUC has to approve all fee increases, but they haven't seen a fee increase they didn't love. They are in the pockets of the industry they regulate.

And the government wont get lobbied/bribed either?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Here's a nice article from 2009 highlighting how SF politico's basically siphoned off 700 million for decades from the maintenance fund for of the Hetch Hetchy dam and the aqueduct system that provides water to the city. All of course done to keep pet projects funded and their political cronies employed. Of course notice how then the tax payers are hit for more money with bonds to fix the mess created by government.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-12-16/news/the-worst-run-big-city-in-the-u-s/2/