should EMS have to be phisically fit?

skateallday

Apr 1, 2003
I think so cause my brother was in a snowboard accident and broke his neck and was at the bottom of the hill where the ems had to walk done the hill just to get him. then when they got him on the strecher they could hardly get him up the hill cause the were so not phisically fit. so my bros friends grabed him from the ems and ran him up they hill like no tomorrow then they had to wait for the ems to get up the hill to take him to the hospital. thank god for my bros friends.

Kemosabe1447

Mar 6, 2003
I think they should have to be fit because in order to execute their job correctly, they need some physical strength and endurance.

Jan 31, 2002
That sucks. 98% of EMS/paramedics are physically fit. I don't think ski resort medics are subject to quite the same requirements though.

- M4H

skateallday

Apr 1, 2003
whether its at a ski resort or not ems should all be phisically fit. oh and where my brother got hurt wasent at a ski resort.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
That sucks. 98% of EMS/paramedics are physically fit. I don't think ski resort medics are subject to quite the same requirements though.

- M4H

In my experience ski resort medics are in better shape than most regular EMTs. They are skiing all day, and if that's the case they are usually outdoor junkies meaning they'll rock climb/bike in the summer and always be doing physical activities.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Yes. So should cops and firemen. There are a lot that are fit but, there are quite a few who aren't. If a persons life depends on you getting to them quickly, then you should be fit.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999

Perhaps we should raise taxes and send all rescue personnel whom are not fit to a fat farm :)

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I've seen plenty of out-of-shape EMS. One of my friend's former partners was like 5'8" 275, totally out of shape.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
this is a no-brainer question...

it's like Firefighters or Police.... they should HAVE to be in good condition in order to be one..