Should Democrats take Manchin's small ball deal?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Sounds like the parl has cleared most of the legislation except for once part on private insurance drug pricing limits. Though if Medicare is negotiating dramatically lower pricing big insurers are going to squeeze too.

Insulin price cap still outstanding.

Dem senators are starting to put statements out that they won't vote for amendments even if they favor the policy in question because it would help the Republicans derail the process.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Dem senators are starting to put statements out that they won't vote for amendments even if they favor the policy in question because it would help the Republicans derail the process.
Good, stay focused and ignore any poison pills GOP is attempting to gift wrap

Reactions: Ken g6

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I sure hope this bill passes. Too many darn fits and starts, defections and reflections.

Give Joe a win, Dems!

I can't wait to find what Alex Jones' messages reveal.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I’m watching the senate process on cspan going well into Sunday morning and watching the rants by little Lindsey and by other republicans. Frankly I’m shocked at how so openly against the working people, against the working class, and against the elderly republicans admittedly are. They have no shame and they don’t care if the world is watching. Republicans actually said on the floor of the senate that by giving corporations and the wealthy more money with no taxes will make a better America. Would uplift the poor, and is good for everyone because the corporations and the super wealthy create the jobs and the growth. Talk about trickle down on steroids…

Then, Bernie Sanders proposed an amendment to give seniors eye care, hearing aids, dental access and naturally little Lindsay rebutted by calling that idea as free stuff to seniors and that seniors don’t deserve it. DONT DESERVE IT….

Add to that Donald trump at cpac, where trump actually said that people receiving social security and government money of any kind OF ANY KIND… should be evaluated, EVALUATED… and forced to work and forced back into the workplace IN ORDER to continue to receive social security and security security disability. Yes folks, for those paying attention, republicans will end social security and social assistance unless those receiving such benefits are returned bank into the workforce. Remember those 80 year old greeters at Walmart? Donald Trump wants them back, by force, thus holding their social security checks hostage. Trump said that… you can’t make this stuff up.

I know the trumpies simply LOVE Donald trump and simply LOVE his republican agenda as well as all the Q’s out there love it all, however…. they damn well had better be paying attention to republican plans and Donald trump plans for America should they get back into power.
Seriously, people had better wake up and especially trump republicans had damn well better wake up and be paying attention to what their messiah plans for them and our country.
Better wake up and pay attention NOW folks, rather than wake up under a trump presidency and under republican rule and then ask themselves WTF HAPPENED???
A little too late for questions at that point.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But one point GOP pushed, corporations are just going to push the taxes to consumers. Like is there a way to prevent them from doing this? Moving to inflation, imagine the good will a company could get if they didn’t raise prices to offset their increase in costs? More customers would flock to that store than their competitors.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But one point GOP pushed, corporations are just going to push the taxes to consumers. Like is there a way to prevent them from doing this? Moving to inflation, imagine the good will a company could get if they didn’t raise prices to offset their increase in costs? More customers would flock to that store than their competitors.
As these are taxes on profits they have no increase in costs - they would have lower returns on investment though.

Also increasing taxes lowers inflation, it does not increase it.

Reactions: Lezunto and dank69

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Sanders, stop wasting time. Your amendment about shutting down oil leases... I think you were the only yes vote between both parties. Such an effective legislator.

Reactions: Lezunto and dank69

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sanders, stop wasting time. Your amendment about shutting down oil leases... I think you were the only yes vote between both parties. Such an effective legislator.
Who can sell a stupid idea. We need to drill baby drill and I'm going to need oil money to finance, not to wipe me out, in my next campaign.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The $35 cap on insulin was removed.

Now put it in a single bill, and let the cowards vote against it during the run up to the midterms. Quit fucking playing tiddly-winks.
I heard seven Republicans voted for the general cap. Maybe they could negotiate a way to get three more. Maybe a slightly higher cap would help?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I heard seven Republicans voted for the general cap. Maybe they could negotiate a way to get three more. Maybe a slightly higher cap would help?

If you put in a standalone bill they will change their vote. Remember the vote change in the burn out bill

Reactions: Ken g6 and dank69

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
But one point GOP pushed, corporations are just going to push the taxes to consumers.
Assuming the corporation is attempting to maximize profits, then they have no ability to push taxes onto consumers. This is because a maximized profit sets prices based on supply/demand. It is supply/demand that sets an optimum price to sell your item--whether the tax rate is 0% or 50% that optimum price is unaffected. Put the price higher or lower than the optimum and your profits go down. Meaning if they try to push higher prices that are not justified by supply/demand then they will lose profits AND still be subject to the higher taxes.

What could happen is corporations can choose to stop selling the item. But, that means that they stop selling something that is profitable. This requires a corporation to drop a product out of spite. It certainly can happen and probably will in a few cases. Then the supply side of the supply/demand curve is impacted and prices can go up for the remaining corporations.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
WTF??? Josh Hawley was one of the 7 Repugicans that supported the $35 cap on insulin?????

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
WTF??? Josh Hawley was one of the 7 Repugicans that supported the $35 cap on insulin?????

Probably has a diabetic relative or something. :rolleyes: That's the only way Republicans ever care about anything other than greed/themselves.

That pathetic excuse for a "man" is still just a waste of skin.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Missouri is one of the least healthy states. Dare I say he is doing a good thing out of self-serving-interest rather than being genuinely interested in reducing the costs of healthcare for everyone, for a drug that was first patented a century ago

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Missouri is one of the least healthy states. Dare I say he is doing a good thing out of self-serving-interest rather than being genuinely interested in reducing the costs of healthcare for everyone, for a drug that was first patented a century ago

Insulin should be as expensive and difficult to obtain as asprin. o_O

Every single participant involved in insulin price-gouging is a criminal from the greedy drug companies to the toadies in Congress that accept bribes from them in the form of "lobbying" to the pharmacies that refuse to import cheaper versions from Canada and elsewhere.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Insulin should be as expensive and difficult to obtain as asprin. o_O

Every single participant involved in insulin price-gouging is a criminal from the greedy drug companies to the toadies in Congress that accept bribes from them in the form of "lobbying" to the pharmacies that refuse to import cheaper versions from Canada and elsewhere.
It is more challenging to manufacture but there's no reason the price should be rising on this decades old drug. Same with the epi pen.

I personally would love to see the US government simply manufacture at cost critical generic drugs like insulin, epinephrine, etc just so we can stop the round robin of this or that random drug suddenly costing a billion dollars for no reason.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
This is a good read on how fucked up insulin pricing is. Apparently some states, maybe only one state, Colorado, has a price cap on insulin.

Reactions: Captante