Should Democrats take Manchin's small ball deal?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The more the party can get weighted down with its old social conservatism that people don't really like the better. They don't want to vote on this but should be made to.
Indeed. The majority of Americans do not want to oppress women or to oppress gay people for just loving each other anymore.

Including moderate Republicans. While it's very scary that the Republicans have decided catering to the crazies is what they have to do, it could also help them lose elections.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Indeed. The majority of Americans do not want to oppress women or to oppress gay people for just loving each other anymore.

Including moderate Republicans. While it's very scary that the Republicans have decided catering to the crazies is what they have to do, it could also help them lose elections.
I think it is like fundamentalism everywhere. There is only one truth, their truth, and if it can't be made universal with all subjected to their conception of it, the universe falls apart and the forces of evil win. These people are engaged in an internal dialog with their own inner madness. The only thing that keeps them from their internal agony is the war with evil. But the battle must go on forever with no victory because the evil they struggle against is internal and of their own making. It is being at war not victory that counts.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004

The scary part is the Christian Nationalists like MTG.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There is attention seeking and there is having to disappear off the face of the earth. I think this falls into the latter category. This is a career ender.
Sinema is already going to get primaried. I suppose if she doesn't block this it might go a way toward reversing that though.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
There is no way she'd survive a D primary. They are already pissed at her and Gallego would almost literally drown in cash.

She could try for the R slot I guess but lol.
As esky has pointed out, she doesnt have manchins leverage. You cant get another dem senator out of WV. You absolutely can get another dem senator out of AZ.

What if I told you that ... being a D senator from "Desert Florida" wasn't really her end goal?

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Yea IIRC someone Koch? has convinced her that she is future POTUS.
I could see how she may fall for that and there is potential there if she follows Trump's playbook. I may regret saying this but I hope the Bernie bros and independents have learned their lesson.

Reactions: Lezunto

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Republicans don't need the majority of Americans, they only need ~30% of them.

I would not bet on that. What are those moderates going to do vote for a Democrat? I think not! Oppressing women and gays is just what they have to put up with to secure their right to be openly racist and transphobic.

Reactions: dank69

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I could see how she may fall for that and there is potential there if she follows Trump's playbook. I may regret saying this but I hope the Bernie bros and independents have learned their lesson.

Yeah, she's delusional if she thinks it'll work. But I can definitely see her going for it.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So when will she come out?

A coin flip as to whether she fucks the deal over…

This is of course why left leaning media is banging this news out 24 hours in the day, so that if she kills it she will take on ALL the heat.

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Like it’s been repeated ad nauseum how Dems are bad at messaging. But stupid that Schumer wouldn’t talk in private with others before making any public announcements.

Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So when will she come out?

A coin flip as to whether she fucks the deal over…

This is of course why left leaning media is banging this news out 24 hours in the day, so that if she kills it she will take on ALL the heat.

Last possible minute in order to drag out the attention getting. Hell, she may wait until the vote and do another fucking stupid "thumbs down" thing again.

• Wow
Reactions: Lezunto and cytg111

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
This is just unbelievable. Everybody demands adulation. Duchess Sinema, your side is trying to get something done here. It's a start.

Your Tiara is on order. It will be made by the Russians from gold they stole from Sudan.

HomerJS did caution us, indeed.

Reactions: hal2kilo