Should Democrats take Manchin's small ball deal?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
I'm quite interested in seeing if this bill passes or not.

I am on the fence about installing solar panels on my house. I have the perfect roof for it, but my electricity rates are so low that it just doesn't quite make financial sense. There is a 26% federal tax credit and everything needs to be installed by Dec 31, 2022 to get that credit (the credit drops to a value that makes this a bad idea on Jan 1, 2023). Thus, I realistically have about a month to get the panel installation going if I want it installed this year. Looks like this compromise has upped the federal credit to 30% and that lasts until the end of next year. That change, while small, just barely puts the solar panels into the good idea column and eliminates any rush.
Would the 30% federal credit apply retroactively? We signed up for installing solar panels a few weeks ago. It's a small percentage increase but considering the cost of a PV system the dollar amount is still significant.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Would the 30% federal credit apply retroactively? We signed up for installing solar panels a few weeks ago. It's a small percentage increase but considering the cost of a PV system the dollar amount is still significant.
The text can always change before the bill has passed. But at the moment, it appears that the 30% is for any system that was placed in service (i.e. turned on for the first time) from Jan 1, 2022 to Dec 31, 2032.

See page 344, lines 23 to 25. https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/22122281/inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So thread title should now be Manchins big ball… but… you know…. there is levels of comfortable

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
My question was more about what qualifies them to be a Dem? They dont seem to have many affiliations to the party platform. Does the DNC get to decide who is a Dem, or does each person get to just say "hey im a Dem, vote for me" when in reality they dont have anything in common with the Dems on policy.

Has the DNC tried to primary him out with an actual Dem candidate?
At the very least, they should remove him as chairman of the Energy and Natural Resources committee.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Yep, this is what I was talking about before. McConnell seems to have been beaten at his own game for a change. :)
If/when this passes and signed by Biden, I hope Democrats give McConnell a big fuck you address to the public and say "here's what we can deliver. All Republicans could do was try to take away healthcare and give tax cuts to the rich"

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Some might look at that as enabling addiction. How many times have we seen this act repeated by Democrats. The problem with America is that it is a right wing nation and the American people in their utter brainwashed ignorance won't let the left fix it.

Democrats should be talking about little else than that in my opinion. If they pass crumbs they should announce them as that, not as political compromise victories.
Are we really a right wing nation? Looking at polling on actual policy issues like expanded health care, combating climate change, legalizing marijuana, and other policies, it seems a majority of the public favors a left wing approach.

akenbennu

Jul 24, 2005
Are we really a right wing nation? Looking at polling on actual policy issues like expanded health care, combating climate change, legalizing marijuana, and other policies, it seems a majority of the public favors a left wing approach.

Our system tends to favor minority rule, so the Republicans get to gerrymander their way into office and just say "No." to everything that their 30% base won't go with.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
You just have to do a search on the internet for pictures of goats. I leave the rest up to your imagination. But no matter which you pick to be Manchin you won't be far wrong. Look for one with a goat hair suit and direct deposit into his savings account from the coal and pharmaceuticals.
Just make sure you don't have a typo - goatse.

• Haha
Reactions: Lezunto

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
The text can always change before the bill has passed. But at the moment, it appears that the 30% is for any system that was placed in service (i.e. turned on for the first time) from Jan 1, 2022 to Dec 31, 2022.

See page 344, lines 23 to 25. https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/22122281/inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf
Document says after Dec 31, 2021 and before Jan 1, 2033. Is that a typo in the document or on your part? If it's true that the 30% federal tax credit expires end of 2032, that's another decade away!

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Our system tends to favor minority rule, so the Republicans get to gerrymander their way into office and just say "No." to everything that their 30% base won't go with.
The lack of competitive races isn't good. There's no incentive to really do anything when the party knows it'll still be their party in power if the current politician is voted out. There for a while it seemed like the republicans would manage to get control of the state houses during the census years (10 yr) and proceed to redistrict in their favor.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Document says after Dec 31, 2021 and before Jan 1, 2033. Is that a typo in the document or on your part? If it's true that the 30% federal tax credit expires end of 2032, that's another decade away!
Looks like I made a typo. Solar power will be cheaper for a decade. Although, I do wonder if the solar panels/installers will just jack up their prices accordingly.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
HomerJS is giving us a warning about Sinema agreeing to this. I would not ignore it.

I am impressed Schumer and Manchin agreed to a deal. If this deal goes through, then the Dems have a fighting chance.

Maybe Joe Manchin fancies goats wearing make-up that dance by the flickering flames of coal fires.

At any rate if this passes, who is buying the beer? Liquor? Xanax? Condoms?

I'm a senior citizen. Don't know what else young folks imbibe today.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I hear Sinema no showed for the dem caucus meeting today. Not a good sign.

The SALT guys are backing down so if she wants to step out and block this she'd be all on her lonesome.
Making one's self the sole target of all intra-party anger and angst is probably not the move she'll decide on.

Reactions: hal2kilo

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The SALT guys are backing down so if she wants to step out and block this she'd be all on her lonesome.
Making one's self the sole target of all intra-party anger and angst is probably not the move she'll decide on.
That might be exactly why she does it :D
She gets to feel important then.