Should Christians be eating kosher food?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: madeupfacts
My new found Jewish friend told me that since I'm christian, and my religion stems from his, I should only be eating Kosher food. Is that true?

It shouldn't hoit.:D

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: dxkj
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: BMdoobieW
Originally posted by: jjsole
Mark 7:19: For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

How could some guy change what G-d very clearly said? Doesn't make any sense...

Jesus = God

Anyone who calls Jesus "some guy" really doesnt belong in a discussion involving the intricacies of religious laws.

But AFAIK, Jesus never said it. People (Paul?) said it later on and wrote it down and now all of the sudden G-d has changed his mind??? I don't think G-d would change his mind. He made all these laws and told everyone to follow them. I don't think He would have gone through all that trouble to just "change his mind" a 1000 or so years later.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: madeupfacts
My new found Jewish friend told me that since I'm christian, and my religion stems from his, I should only be eating Kosher food. Is that true?

Jesus = New Covenant

If you're Jewish, and reject Jesus, you must follow the old covenant.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Mark 7:19: For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

Activist interpretation of the bible!!!! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dxkj
Originally posted by: loki8481

Jesus = God

Anyone who calls Jesus "some guy" really doesnt belong in a discussion involving the intricacies of religious laws.

But AFAIK, Jesus never said it. People (Paul?) said it later on and wrote it down and now all of the sudden G-d has changed his mind??? I don't think G-d would change his mind. He made all these laws and told everyone to follow them. I don't think He would have gone through all that trouble to just "change his mind" a 1000 or so years later.

No, "God" didn't change "his" mind. God is merely who the authors of the laws said who was the originator of the laws. "God" is a device, not a Being. Now I know that this won't sit well with any Believer, be they Jew, Christian, or Muslim. So let's consider from a different perspective.

Is "God" an ***hole? :eek:

Think about it. Why would a superior being make rules for people to follow for the sake of making them follow them? That does not make any sense, unless "God" is an ***hole.

That said, perhaps there is another reason? That reason is that those Laws were implemented because there were Health issues surrounding certain foods. Science has pretty much confirmed that there are such issues surrounding most if not all of those forbidden foods. It seems logical to me that many of the Old Testament laws were because there were known issues around certain things(food, body functions, etc) , but little understanding as to why or how to avoid these issues. So they were simply just banned(food) outright for the sake of the people.

So, what happens when the "why's" and the "avoid's" are discovered and well known? Does "God" then become an ***hole and continue to force those people to adhere to obsolete laws? Again, I don't think so, because I don't think a being of "God's" purported nature ever intended for laws of that nature to be on the same level as say the Ten Commandments. They were laws that were best for the people of the time, but not meant to be universal.

IMO, this is the problem with all religions to a certain extent: They tend to forget the fundamental reasons of their Faith and gravitate towards the simple Do's and Don'ts.

For the Jew(from the Christian perspective, that's the best I know and probably overly simplistic or not shared by Jews at all ;)) it was to provide a Lineage from which "God" would bring a Messiah. For the Christian it was to Love God with all their Heart and to Love their neighbour as they Love themselves. For the Muslim I don't really know, so I won't try to guess(though I have a little theory in the back of my mind).

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
WTF ? it's just food everybody, live with it or die from starvation :roll:

Can you really tell the difference from kosher and non kosher food on a blind fold :confused: ?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: jrphoenix
Mark 7:19: For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared

all foods "clean.")

I agree.... Jesus was a Jew that observed the law. None of the gospels contradict that. Paul, who was never around when Jesus was on earth, wrote 2/3 of the NT and is the one saying eat what you want. I never saw once in the Bible where Jesus said that. Paul supposedly got all his materials because he saw a vision of Jesus on the road to Damascus.

Anyway, Jews & Muslims don't eat pork.... but, Kosher law is a little more stringent that what Muslims follow (Halal) (can't mix meat & dairy, etc...).

Christ fulfilled the Abrahamic covenant by dying on the cross, offering forgiveness of sin for the whole of mankind and thus creating a new covenant.

New Testament law > Old Testament law

Christ rebuked the Jews because they became legalistic and made a sh!tload of bogus laws. Jesus may have been born into the Jewish race, but he did *not* follow Jewish law.

However, since Jews don't believe that Jesus is the messiah, I guess it doesn't matter for them anyway. Silly Jews!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
god approved food is about the most retarded thing out there. the muslims have the same bullsh*t. same barbaric animal slaughter too.