Should China Lose the Olympics Over This?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Simple question.

Looks like the Chinese government couldn't sweep this one under the carpet fast enough. And yet the world is giving them the Olympic Games this year?

Story Link

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
No.

Looks like an extreme case "police brutality". It's not like we don't have that here etc.

Fern

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm not sure if the olympics should be used as a politicial or social weapon to enact change or merely find countries with a cool back drop to host some good sporting events.

This particular article doesn't phase me in a country that kills more in a year than the next several combined and mails family's a bill for the bullet. I almost wonder if that last part is an urban legend now, though :)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I'm not sure if the olympics should be used as a politicial or social weapon to enact change

well then what the hell is Romney supposed to run on, having great hair?

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
This isn't new for China - it's run by a Mafia and this is what they do. The IOC is pretty shakey too so don't expect any flak from them. US politicians and corps. are also in on the pig roast over there so don't expect much from them either. It's hard to boycott them to obviously but you can stay away from signature stuff like Lenovo which is mostly Chinese mafia -erm- gov owned.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
The London police executed an innocent Brazilian. They couldn't sweep it under the carpet either. And yet the world is giving them the Olympics in 2012?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
The London police executed an innocent Brazilian. They couldn't sweep it under the carpet either. And yet the world is giving them the Olympics in 2012?

Indeed, that would be your answer.

If we banned any country from hosting the Olympics that had mistakenly killed a civilian then we had better scrap the event.

pinktank

Feb 1, 2005
The US killed some pretty thousands for the last few years, This is just media hype and defaming China as they are raising to match the other 'powers' that rule the world

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it is too late, it takes years to get setup for the olympics, they can't change the venue in 6 months
at this point the only thing you can do it boycott and look at how the 1980/84 games went, that didn't do anything useful

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Days after Wei's January 7 death, a government official in Tianmen city, Wei's hometown, was fired, four others detained and more than 100 placed under investigation. Chinese authorities now appear to be taking these cases seriously.
we'll have to wait and see, but it doesnt sound like they're "sweeping this under the carpet" to me.

Then again, they should never have been given the Olympics to begin with...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Days after Wei's January 7 death, a government official in Tianmen city, Wei's hometown, was fired, four others detained and more than 100 placed under investigation. Chinese authorities now appear to be taking these cases seriously.
we'll have to wait and see, but it doesnt sound like they're "sweeping this under the carpet" to me.

Then again, they should never have been given the Olympics to begin with...

Dude, I'm British and I guarantee they make a better job of it than us.

Of course they will just imprison anyone who makes trouble but your Olympics will be on time and spectacular.

So ah heck human rights and on with the show :(

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Of course they will just imprison anyone who makes trouble but your Olympics will be on time and spectacular.

Yeah, I think it will go very smoothly because those who don't do their job properly will be sent to a village in a far off province to farm rice until they die. Or maybe just put in prison :D

The waterboarding is going to have an Olympic sized pool.

hehe

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No. China should be given the Olympics again for this. Let them squander their treasure on a rather silly but extremely expensive spectacle.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Hired gun killed someone? Heh, at least they were killing their own in their own home. Unlike some country with some company called blackwater.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
China should lose the Olympics over a lot of things.

yes, that's true...
as for this.. this happens all over the world.

No. China should be given the Olympics again for this. Let them squander their treasure on a rather silly but extremely expensive spectacle.

Taiwan pretty much took the cream of the crop in terms of national treasure when the nationalist fled china.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
No.

Looks like an extreme case "police brutality". It's not like we don't have that here etc.

Fern

Should have read the article...this stuff is STATE-sanctioned and puts "police brutality" to shame.

This is not brutality, this is the standard.

IT'S A COMMUNIST COUNTRY! What the f**k do you guys expect, Luxemberg?

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Originally posted by: Fern
No.

Fern

Should have read the article...this stuff is STATE-sanctioned and puts "police brutality" to shame.

Over react much?

There are many, many reasons much bigger than this to keep the Olympics out of China. This was an incident. Compare that to national policy... I feel bad for the guy who got killed but the incident in itself is not worth the outrage.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Over react much?

Overreact much?

There would be a 60 page thread if some cop tasered a kid running a red light. Lolz.

There are many, many reasons much bigger than this to keep the Olympics out of China. This was an incident. Compare that to national policy... I feel bad for the guy who got killed but the incident in itself is not worth the outrage.

Oh give me a break. This is just one of the many communist elements associated with China, and people tend to forget them. I'm sure you'd be screaming bloody murder if state-sponsored city inspectors were murdering citizens.

But yeah, the 500,000 eviction of working class citizens to make way for the Olympic Games is far more outrageous....

STILL!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

No. China shifted from communism to fascism in the aftermath of the Tienanmen Square massacre. It is still a brutal party dictatorship but China has not been a communist state in at least fifteen years.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: ironwing

No. China shifted from communism to fascism in the aftermath of the Tienanmen Square massacre. It is still a brutal party dictatorship but China has not been a communist state in at least fifteen years.

Ah, says you.

China possesses more characteristics of a Communist nation than Fascist one. It's policy economic and social equality are masked with a highly weighted social system, where the elite is significantly wealthier than the poor and the government knows it.

Let's not forget the many other properties that can be included in both Communism and Fascism.

Lest you forget, there has NEVER been a text-book Communist state.