Should buyers of "essential supplies" (TP and hand sanitizer) be required by the store, to show ID, to prove that they live locally, and limit qty?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that they should, it would cut down on "hoarding", if people were afraid that their name might get out there as a hoarder/reseller/scalper, and I think that stores ABSOLUTELY should REFUSE to sell things like TP, to people from out-of-the-area (more than a few towns over, and especially not if out of county or state), and "get tough" on limiting qtys.

I mean, when this all started to go down, I ordered some cases of essential supplies, from an online retailer, before store shelves started to get emptied, and people started hoarding stuff. I only bought enough for myself, not to resell.

"Want to buy that TP?" "Yes, please." "I'll need to see some ID." "..."

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
If they have a cart full of (insert product here) that's one thing but if someone from out-of-town wants to bye 1 package of TP & 2 sanitizer bottles, i don't see a problem.

Quantity limits would solve this though.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Any store is free to impose quantity limits on any item at any time. But carding someone for address to sell hand sanitizer? If a symptom of Covid-19 is massive brain damage quarantine yourself because you've got it. That is far more asinine than anything that's come from Trump in the last two weeks.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As a temp measure, yes I think so. The hoarding is ridiculous and it's hurting everyone. Some stores are also setting up special hours for only the elderly and disabled I think that's a great idea too.

Feb 4, 2009
Impossible to enforce so why bother.
stores should put reasonable limits on these purchases for the time being.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A company in my city managed to buy some TP from a supplier outside of Ontario and is making a few rolls available to whoever is in need. Nice of them. I just hope the hoarders don't feel the need to go get some...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Stores already have a "return check database" that they all use, to find out if people are serial returners, especially without a receipt.

Why not re-jig that database, to also track serial "hoarders" of TP, sanitizer, etc? So that Joe Blow can't hit up 12 stores in the region, and buy them all. Preventing that guy that bought 17,000 bottles of sanitizer, and people that want to emulate him.

In that case, even if you're out-of-state, or whatever, you could buy maybe 2, maybe 3 sanitizers at the first store, but by the time that you got to the 3rd, 4th, 5th store, they would start to deny you.

Of course, there should be "time-out period", in which you can buy more, either at the same store, or other stores, after some determined limit.

BestBuy and other stores on ebay function like that already. Buy too many items off of ebay from BestBuy, they will tell you that you've reached your item purchase limit for the week.

Edit: And for those that oppose this idea - do you also oppose the idea, of the return-check database, that is cross-store? People that are serial (and even fraudulent!) returners, drive up costs for everyone else. Just like hoarders do, that buy out stocks of needed items. (Especially out-of-state or out-of-county people on "buying sprees".)

Edit: Some of you may think that this is anti-American, and anti-capitalist, but it is very much in line with existing thinking against monopolies and unfair competition, and profiteering, and yes, there are even laws against it in certain (how many?) states. (*We know from news articles, that TN is one of those states.)

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Jerem

May 25, 2014
And what of the 10+ million undocumented living in the U.S. No TP for you!

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Why not re-jig that database, to also track serial "hoarders" of TP, sanitizer, etc? So that Joe Blow can't hit up 12 stores in the region, and buy them all. Preventing that guy that bought 17,000 bottles of sanitizer, and people that want to emulate him.

I now truly believe you are the stupidest person on Earth. The first post of this thread got me going down that track, but that right there clinches it. A database of people who buy hand sanitizer? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? In your world a person must submit to a fingerprint check, submit ID and undergo a body cavity search when they buy hand sanitizer so that if they buy some somewhere else the same tests will identify them as a hoarder? Seek help. Seriously. Seek help now. Whatever meds you're on the dosages are off and you're a danger to yourself and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerem

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Weren't you the person DEFENDING that guy that bought 17,000 bottles of Hand Sanitizer, to hoard/scalp for $70 a bottle? Sure, bro, keep defending people like that.

I might ask you the same question that you're asking me.

People like you, that hoard and defend hoarding of essential supplies (**), in times of Pandemic, are far more more dangerous to the general population than I'll ever be.

Edit: Btw, I don't know how it is in your state or country (if you're not American), but you need ID to buy Sudafed, even though it's an OTC medication.(*) Stores are free to set those policies, and participate in those databases, and people are free to talk about that, and to not shop there.

(*) Why? Because of ABUSE. Which you seem to be "fine" with.
(**) I specifically mean, "hoarding", to re-sell at a ridiculous profit. I'm not against personal preparation for these issues.

The hoarding is ridiculous and it's hurting everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I mean, if you have to show ID for, what was it, balsamic vinegar, then you should have to show ID for "canyon cleaners" as well.
It was just white vinegar. Dave would not use balsamic, that is too capitalist.