Should Bush have gone to the Olympics?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
IIRC it is very unusual for a US president to attend any Olympics not held in the US. Bush going to China, to me, was the ultimate disgrace to principles of the US.
The Olympics is a big "coming" out party for China and is an attempt by the Chinese tyrants to show the world how great their form of government is.
And the leader of the "free" world shows up in what can only be seen as support for the Chinese tyrants.
While few people in the US still believe anything Bush has ever said, this is the ultimate betrayal of all his talk about bringing Freedom and Democracy to other countries around the world.
There was absolutely NO reason for Bush to go.
And he shamed all freedom loving people around the world.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
Why wouldn't he go?

It's the opening celebration of the Olympics?

I'm not seeing the problem with this at all.....is China supposed to be the next "evil empire" bogeyman?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Say what you will of China, if we were serious about disdain for them we wouldn?t have made them our greatest trading partner.

How many objects in your home are ?Made in China?? Quite a few I imagine, are you going to throw them out and boycott all those products? If not, then your actions don?t follow your words and you have formed a great deal of hypocrisy with this topic.

Moreover, isn?t it Congress who can cause a national boycott and/or end trading with them? Sounds like you should get your representatives to represent your disdain before you call on other parties to do the same.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Bush is the first president in US history to attend the Olympics in a foreign country. IMO, with all the "problems" in China, NO, he should NOT have gone, but...since more and more, the US is owned by China, (between corporate purchases and the HUGE loans we hold from them) he had to do what his bosses told him to do...:D

BTW Jaskalas, I do everything I can to avoid products Made in China. Some categories I have no options, especially electronics and computer parts, but in any category where I do have the option, Made in China is at the very bottom of the list, even if it means paying a bit more.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: techs
IIRC it is very unusual for a US president to attend any Olympics not held in the US. Bush going to China, to me, was the ultimate disgrace to principles of the US.
The Olympics is a big "coming" out party for China and is an attempt by the Chinese tyrants to show the world how great their form of government is.
And the leader of the "free" world shows up in what can only be seen as support for the Chinese tyrants.
While few people in the US still believe anything Bush has ever said, this is the ultimate betrayal of all his talk about bringing Freedom and Democracy to other countries around the world.

that's the type of attitude that will keep China a country of tyrant forever. Remember that if you want to change a country, it has to come from the people of that country. And if you keep the door closed, and keep doing things that give the people of the country an impression that you are against them, that change to a more democratic society will never happen.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: rchiu

that's the type of attitude that will keep China a country of tyrant forever. Remember that if you want to change a country, it has to come from the people of that country. And if you keep the door closed, and keep doing things that give the people of the country an impression that you are against them, that change to a more democratic society will never happen.

Oh. You mean eveyone except ... Cuba.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I think it's fairly 'libertarian' of him to go. Ignore their politics, enjoy the games. Trade with everyone; alliances with none.

We should let them figure out their government for themselves. We can frown all we want at how they do it - but we should ultimately not interfere.

As for trade.. it should only be done when principles of a free market economy are followed.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
If I could wrangle a free trip to the Olympics I'd sure go. It's not like they are the evil boogie man - or is it?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

I wouldn't expect anything less from the man that sold out America.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
China isn't near as bad as a "Tyrant" that it once was and much less than what the USSR was. I always felt that the USSR should have used the method that China is to get away from Communism. A more gradual moving away prevents the likes of Putin and a return to the same old policies under a new banner.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I thought you guys on the left wanted us to reach out to other countries???

Would you make up your mind already.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I thought you guys on the left wanted us to reach out to other countries???

Would you make up your mind already.

Hey for once I agree with Pro-Jo!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The only time the right is willing to reach out to other countries is if there's a large profit to be made, or if they have oil. Waidaminit...same thing...or if we want to bomb them back to the stone age.

I think we've "reached out" to the Chinese far too much. Look at how much of our debt they're rumored to hold; Look how many American jobs they now have.
IMO, not only should Bush not have gone to China, neither should our tourists nor our Olympic teams.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
It's interesting how so many people will criticize relations with China yet turn a blind eye to our relations with the UK, France, Germany, etc.

HaiBiss

Jul 26, 2008
Last time I checked the Olympics were about putting everything aside and try to come together through sports and friendship. He should have been there not showing support for the Chinese (you try to oppress 20 people in an office, now try 1 billion plus in one of the largest countries in the world, takes some work doesn't it) which he wasn't he was showing support for the US athletes.

HaiBiss

Jul 26, 2008
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Don't see the issue since we know Obama would if he was Prez.

He would not be there, he would at the Hilton's with Brit watching it on TV.

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
This is kind of off topic, but the couple times the camera cut to Bush he looked bored out of his mind. He was slouched in his chair barely holding his head up. It was hillarious...

HaiBiss

Jul 26, 2008
Originally posted by: villageidiot111
This is kind of off topic, but the couple times the camera cut to Bush he looked bored out of his mind. He was slouched in his chair barely holding his head up. It was hillarious...

He was upset and pouting, Laura told him he was going to get to throw out the first ball.

HaiBiss

Jul 26, 2008
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
It's interesting how so many people will criticize relations with China yet turn a blind eye to our relations with the UK, France, Germany, etc.

Heck yea them there EUROPEANS they don't do anything wrong ...... ever..... they do just what we tell them to do.....

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: villageidiot111

You mean sitting thru a 5 hour ceremony while countries you never heard of parade their token athletes might be kind of boring?

No wai!

DonaldC

Nov 18, 2001
I think it's good he went to cheer team USA. Might be nice to have him do something worthwhile for a change.