Shots fired at GOP Congressional baseball practice

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This is all before Republicans have passed their health care abomination which is really going to be life and death for tens of thousands of people. I don't expect things to get better after shit starts hitting the fan, but hope springs eternal. Good health and safety to everyone.

I think you're right. Probably not a good time for Mitch McConnell to decide on jogging or joining some of these congressional sports groups.

He really could use the cardio though...

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
What, ol' "Turtlehead" Mitch, the guy who looks like he's barely holding in a massive shit from both ends? If you so much as bumped into him he'd erupt. Jogging would be...messy.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
...shit, that's not good. "Blood vessels, bones, and organs" were affected. In addition to infection control they'd damn well better be watching out for DVT.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Sepsis is bad news.

Indeed it is. And if there was ever a time my forum handle was appropriate it's right about now. All the media say shot in the 'hip' translated that means it's a pelvic injury which have stupidly high mortality rates. Tons of important stuff in that area and it can be incredibly difficult to get bleeding under control and then thanks to it being near your body's waste control systems, infection risk is super high afterwards. So this slide is extremely applicable:

New+Bimodal+Trauma+Death+Distribution.jpg

I use this slide in the trauma education classes I teach, with the notes for the slide saying this:

With advances in trauma systems, the deaths have now assumed a largely bimodal distribution, with a vast majority of deaths occurring within the first few hours.
Patients who survive beyond that are likely to live, with a dramatic decrease in the number of late deaths.
At the same time, large numbers of immediate and early deaths emphasize a persistent need for ongoing efforts in injury prevention and control.
The data shows a shift to the left, suggesting that patients who made it to the hospital were actually dying earlier than historical controls. This is believed to be the result of efficient prehospital providers bringing sicker patients to the hospital who previously died at the scene.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Sounds like his bowels got hit, poor guy. I hope he managed to avoid damage to his genitals, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Damage to the pills, just not kosher.

I still expect him to pull through. A friend of mine, an ex sheriff, had a really close call with MRSA a few years ago. Affected area was close to an artery, they had to excise things. His Dr said later they had him on an antibiotic cocktail so burly that 'Wade could be dunked into a septic tank and he wouldn't die.' I bet they're breaking out similar for Scalise.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Sounds like his bowels got hit, poor guy. I hope he managed to avoid damage to his genitals, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Damage to the pills, just not kosher.

I still expect him to pull through. A friend of mine, an ex sheriff, had a really close call with MRSA a few years ago. Affected area was close to an artery, they had to excise things. His Dr said later they had him on an antibiotic cocktail so burly that 'Wade could be dunked into a septic tank and he wouldn't die.' I bet they're breaking out similar for Scalise.

Just one thing to remember, sepsis is a indiscriminate. Hopefully they caught it early because if so his chance of death is roughly 15-25%....if they caught it late mortality is much much worse approaching 50-60%. I'm sure they're pulling out all the stops for him as we usually do for septic patients but his initial injuries will serve to further complicate his treatment course

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
And to be clear, I'm only *assuming* sepsis. There's no official word on that. I just assume that the "serious condition" + ICU + infection = sepsis.

I've lost one grandparent to it, and almost lost another. It can take a life in what seems like a matter of hours if it has been festering for a while.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005

It's promising but still needs large scale replication. So many promising therapies have fallen flat once large multi center randomized control trials started up. But with that said it certainly can't hurt to give it a try.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
He didn't go home. Inpatient rehab is shorthand for Nursing Home.

You're right. I've known many people who have had a stroke or a hip/knee/whatever replacement and who have gone to inpatient rehab in a rehab hospital.