Shots fired at GOP Congressional baseball practice

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
You never watched that series, did you? The main theme was forgiveness. Even of the worst villains. There is some heavy, heavy syncretized Shinto/Christian symbolism like the sword, mirror, and jewel combining into the literal Holy Grail and two separate characters being referred to as "Messiah." Pretty heavy stuff for something aimed at young teenagers in Japan (ignore the dub, I'm told it is an utter abomination).

It's also the single gayest thing I have ever seen outside of a Pride Parade. My first girlfriend directly credits it with forcing her to admit her own bisexuality to herself. There are maybe two exclusively straight women in the entire main cast and the title character is not one of them (if you're curious, I'm thinking Venus and Pluto, and even then...).

So...what does any of this have to do with the discussion here? I would rather have you sane and mentally healthy than dead, but I'm less forgiving than Queen Dumpling Head--it comes with actually having graduated high school--and I recognize that some people are beyond saving. Are you one of them? Maybe. And that's sad.

Jul 9, 2009

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/22...op-baseball-shooting-couldnt-be-more-bizarre/

"
The FBI admits that Hodgkinson:

• vociferously raged against Republicans in online forums,
  • had a piece of paper bearing the names of six members of Congress,
  • was reported for doing target practice outside his home in recent months before moving to Alexandria,
  • had mapped out a trip to the DC area,
  • took multiple photos of the baseball field he would later shoot up, three days after the New York Times mentioned that Republicans practiced baseball at an Alexandria baseball field with little security,
  • lived out of his van at the YMCA directly next door to the baseball field he shot up,
  • legally purchased a rifle in March 2003 and 9 mm handgun “in November 2016,”
  • modified the rifle at some point to accept a detachable magazine and replaced the original stock with a folding stock,
  • rented a storage facility to hide hundreds of rounds of ammunition and additional rifle components,
  • asked “Is this the Republican or Democrat baseball team?” before firing on the Republicans,
  • ran a Google search for information on the “2017 Republican Convention” hours before the shooting,
  • and took photos at high-profile Washington locations, including the east front plaza of the U.S. Capitol and the Dirksen Senate Office."

"
The Associated Press reported the FBI:

• believes the gunman “had no concrete plan to inflict violence” against Republicans,
  • “had not yet clarified who, if anyone, he planned to target, or why,”
  • believes he may have just “happened upon” the baseball game the morning of June 14, and that the attack appeared “spontaneous,”
  • are unclear on the “context” of Hodgkinson’s note with six names of members of Congress,
  • does not believe that photographs of the baseball field or other sites “represented surveillance of intended targets,” and
  • “painted a picture of a down-on-his-luck man with few future prospects.”
In fact, USA Today went with “FBI offers portrait of troubled Alexandria shooter with ‘anger management problem’” for their headline, since that’s what the FBI emphasized in the briefing."

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

WOW

In the recording, Montag, referring to Scalise, says “this (obscenity), his whole job is to get people, convince Republicans to (obscenity) kick people off of (obscenity) health care. ... I’m glad he got shot. I’m not gonna (obscenity) say that publicly.”

“Well then what are you saying it to us for?” Gentry-Tipton’s friend asks in the recording.

I wish he was (obscenity) dead,” Montag says as the recording continues.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Gonna be hilarious watching the dems spend all the overtime this weekend doing damage control on this one! It's already trending to the top story in the US.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The right just has one presidential candidate telling his frothing 2nd amendment supporters that they can "do something" about another presidential candidate. Where was the concern trolling there?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

hey, at least you aren't black and going to church, or a woman walking in to PP for any reason, or a government worker in Oklahoma, or rancher that happens to be a neighbor of psycopathic southwestern militia shitholes, or just some person at the Olympics, amiright?

Obviously, these are all awful people, but the more you try to claim that democrats and left-wingers are some terrifying violent threat to you, I'll continue to remind you of the actual real, and actual present scourge of the right wing terrorists that have actually murdered people in this country for the last 3+ decades.

the dude in that article is angry. I wonder if he's had to listen to a political party call him poor, unworthy, useless, a communist threat to democracy, etc etc for the last several years? Crazy, right?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
the dude in that article is angry. I wonder if he's had to listen to a political party call him poor, unworthy, useless, a communist threat to democracy, etc etc for the last several years? Crazy, right?

And more excuses.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
The right just has one presidential candidate telling his frothing 2nd amendment supporters that they can "do something" about another presidential candidate. Where was the concern trolling there?
They did, they voted to keep her out of the office.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
WOW

In the recording, Montag, referring to Scalise, says “this (obscenity), his whole job is to get people, convince Republicans to (obscenity) kick people off of (obscenity) health care. ... I’m glad he got shot. I’m not gonna (obscenity) say that publicly.”

“Well then what are you saying it to us for?” Gentry-Tipton’s friend asks in the recording.

I wish he was (obscenity) dead,” Montag says as the recording continues.
Wanting to starve children and destroy the planet are just the cherry on top. If they believe this stuff about us why wouldn't they have this view?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I know, I'm wondering why you keep making them for your party. It's not just exhausting, it's terrible for this country.

So you make excuses for a progressive shooting a republican congressman. Then you make excuses for a democratic party official saying he's glad Scalise got shot. You evade and redirect at every opportunity, and then accuse me of making excuses when the roles are reversed. That doesn't strike you as dishonest?

A perfectly honest and respectable response to these sorts of things is, "Not cool. This goes too far. That guy should know better." Et Cetera. WITHOUT a subsequent "but they had it coming." THAT is what is NOT terrible for this country, and you know why? Because it shows respect to the opposition and a willingness to act like an adult, not a zealot.

On the subject of right-wing terrorism, I don't excuse it. If you want to make a topic when a republican shoots a democrat because of partisan differences, I'll happily denounce it, as I have abortion clinic bombings despite my pro-life position.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hey, if your president, Phynaz, can publicly endorse "2nd Amendment solutions" for political issues, y'all shouldn't be surprised when someone takes him up on his offer, even if it's the "wrong side" that does it.

Or are you saying it's only okay when Drumpf-fluffers do it?

Reactions: xthetenth

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
So you make excuses for a progressive shooting a republican congressman. Then you make excuses for a democratic party official saying he's glad Scalise got shot. You evade and redirect at every opportunity, and then accuse me of making excuses when the roles are reversed. That doesn't strike you as dishonest?

A perfectly honest and respectable response to these sorts of things is, "Not cool. This goes too far. That guy should know better." Et Cetera. WITHOUT a subsequent "but they had it coming." THAT is what is NOT terrible for this country, and you know why? Because it shows respect to the opposition and a willingness to act like an adult, not a zealot.

On the subject of right-wing terrorism, I don't excuse it. If you want to make a topic when a republican shoots a democrat because of partisan differences, I'll happily denounce it, as I have abortion clinic bombings despite my pro-life position.

Their reaction is predictable. You make a liberal look in the mirror and they are so horrified by what they see that they lash out in fear.

Nov 25, 2013

Guy says something stupid and the party removed him from his post and reports him to the police.

"On Thursday, Kleeb acted immediately upon hearing the recording.

“This is the first I am hearing this,” Kleeb said by email Thursday morning. “As soon as I heard it, I sent it to the (party) officers and then sent an email to Phil Montag informing him I am removing him from his appointed position as Co-Chair of the Technology Committee. ... Wishing a Member of Congress or any individual dead is disgusting and has no place in our party.”

Kleeb said she reported the recorded conversation to the police because she viewed Montag’s remarks as a possible death threat."

Yes, clutch those pearls tightly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Jul 9, 2009
You mean vote? We did and we elected President Trump. Thanks.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Let's not pretend obedient degenerates are the type to ever criticize their watering tree of liberty peers, certainly not like they typically mouth off about more ethical people.

Their reaction is predictable. You make a liberal look in the mirror and they are so horrified by what they see that they lash out in fear.

For example this one has to pretend the congressional degenerate's colleagues like Rand Paul weren't just emphatic that guns are for watering said tree. No surprise these degens are dishonest as shit.

Reactions: Azuma Hazuki

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
@Phynaz, Trump has publicly called for "second amendment solutions." This means shooting people. You never opened your fat bootlicking mouth about that I notice.

So when someone takes him up on his offer, why are you surprised? Is it because it's the "wrong team" that shot someone?

Go to Hell. Go directly to Hell. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, but go straight to Hell.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This is all before Republicans have passed their health care abomination which is really going to be life and death for tens of thousands of people. I don't expect things to get better after shit starts hitting the fan, but hope springs eternal. Good health and safety to everyone.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
This is all before Republicans have passed their health care abomination which is really going to be life and death for tens of thousands of people. I don't expect things to get better after shit starts hitting the fan, but hope springs eternal. Good health and safety to everyone.

Just like the 2nd amendment solution they probably only meant for liberals or black people to die. When some of their own starting dying from lack of healthcare, they'll predictably try to blame liberals or black people for not meeting their expectations. Degens gonna degen.

Reactions: Azuma Hazuki