SHot in the dark, but does anyone here play baseball?

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
If so, I was wondering if anyone was a pitcher and could help me out.

Anyone know how to throw a cutter (cut fastball)??

I've been experimenting, but havent found a grip that really works.

I'm asking here cause no one on my team knows and my pitching coach refuses to teach me because he wants me to throw a split-finger. That would be good and all, but my hand is a little too small to throw that pitch.

Now that I'm gonna be playing in college, I need some pitches with movement on it.

Current pitches:

4-seam fastball (minimal movement)
2-seam fastball (moderate movement into a right handed batter)
Curveball
Changeup

If it helps any my arm angle is between three quarters and over the top.

MY velocity on a 4-seamer is 86-87mph, consistantly 85mph. 2-seamer is 82-83mph.

Thanks for the help

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I'd say that site is going to give you more insight on how to throw a cutter than I can, but what I will say is don't give up on trying to throw a splitter. I started throwing this pitch this year, and it's been working great. I'm 19 and my hands are not very big either. The way I throw it is to take a 2-seam fastball grip and move my fingers to the outside of the ball. If you throw it right over the top, such that your thumb ends up between your fingers after release, it works great. I've gotten many a K with it so far!

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
I've been trying to throw the splitter for 6+ months now., I can't get any type of movement on it. It's basically a changeup that I cant control, no downward movement.

It also gives me a nasty blister on the inside of my index finger.

That website was a good find, but I've been using that grip and although it moves, I seem to lose a lot of velocity. More so than when I throw the 2-seamer. So I think I might just stick with the 2-seamer and see how it goes.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
If you don't have a big enough hand, don't waste your time on a splitter. You'll just end up throwing meatballs.
A cutter, or at least the way I threw it, was just a two seamer with a lot more pressure applied with my middle finger. This created enough cut to throw off many hitters. You need a lot of push with your middle finger to get enough cut, but throw it as hard as a fastball. Basically throw a regular 2 seam fastball with more pressure on your middle finger. If you want to try cutting it the other way, use your index finger for extra pressure, but this was a lot harder to do.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Real men throw knuckleballs.

Nothing like the expression on someone's face when you get him on 60 mph knuckler right down the pipe.