Shorty's favorite under-appreciated titles.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Alan Wake
Un necessary criticism of UT2003, UT2004 and UT3
Last Call
Sim Tower
Age of Empires 3 wasn't as popular as it should have been
Urban Chaos
Age of Mythology
FutureCop
Road rash
Virtuacop2
Sega Bike racing

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
-RPG-
Septera Core - A fun Final Fantasy-ish game that came right at the end of the Win98 era and wouldn't run right on Win2k or XP without heavy community patching.

-RTS/TBS-
Castles II: Siege and Conquest - This one fills both strategy slots. It plays a like a primitive version of Medieval II: Total War. Turn based map and castle building and real time battles

-FPS-
Heretic - While being little more than a Doom clone with fantasy/magic weapons instead of guns it was still quite fun.

-Racing-
Burnout 3: Takedown - While Paradise is bigger and flashier I enjoyed Takedown a quite a bit more. Plus there was Crash Mode, where making a mess was never so much fun.

-Platform-
Blackthorne - One of Blizzard's earlier games, think of it as Prince of Persia with a shotgun and gore.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Old school game I enjoyed was Outpost2. I never met anyone else that has played it. It had an interesting twist in the RTS genre since you had to keep moving your base. The planet was falling apart and you have to build up a base then do a mission and then plan to pack up your critical buildings and move out for the next mission. Really gave you a sense of urgency.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Great post that'll give folks some new games to try. I sure am gonna watch Anachronox, look really interesting. I have some games, mostly in RPGs, that are and still are memorable to me. Here they are:

-RPG-
DIVINITY 2: DRAGON KNIGHT SAGA/DEVELOPER'S EDITION
My best RPG in a long time. Best for it's unique feel, non hand holding questing, big and beautiful world to explore, funny and weird and some believable NPCs, clunky combat but good leveling system.

LIONHEART: LEGACY OF THE CRUSADER
Another one hell of a great RPG from Blask Isle back in the days. I really enjoyed this unique title filled with great NPCs (Don Quixote to name one), cool quests and RPG elements.

SEPTERRA CORE
Awesome and unique RPG. It was that time when I nought game simply by reading the back of the box. I visited a local PC store, roamed the game section, read the back of boxes and bought what game I thought looked great. Septerra Core was really fun. A Sci-fi theme mixed with RPGs elements. It was pretty well done, combat was cool and the game looked simply awesome at that time.

ARCANUM: OF STEAMWORKS AND MAGICK OBSCURA
Steampunk+RPGs is one mix we don't see often and Arcanum did it right for me. Great RPG with a rare setting that should be used more often. I miss this game a lot and being used to today's graphics I have a hard time getting back into those games. But it's sure is one of my top RPGs.

-RTS-
Can't think of any...

-TBS-
Can't think of any...

-FPS-
SINGULARITY
On hell of a surprise when I played this game. Bought it off Steam when it was at $10...which I didn't see it at that price since (still sells for $30). Great gameplay, atmospheric and frightening, nice story.

-Sports-
Can't think of any...

-Racing-
Can't think of any...

-Platform-
Can't think of any...

-Puzzle-
Can't think of any...

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
LIONHEART: LEGACY OF THE CRUSADER
Another one hell of a great RPG from Blask Isle back in the days. I really enjoyed this unique title filled with great NPCs (Don Quixote to name one), cool quests and RPG elements.

Fair warning - it's that great game up to a point, and then the developers were apparently told 'ship it now' and the last part is a highly criticized grindfest.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Pretty sure that was intentional - at the end of Persephone's last mission, Eldred mentions that his contact with Persephone wasn't restored upon his victory. General implication is that Marduk got her while you were away.

Somehow I didn't make that connection. I wish they had made a Persephone specific ending.

Actually I would be happy if they make a graphical overhaul of the game to take advantage of today's hardware. Plot, script, and voice acting were excellent.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
You know one game that I really liked (rpg) that truely got a raw deal was Wizadry8.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
You know one game that I really liked (rpg) that truely got a raw deal was Wizadry8.

Damn I just remembered the RPG I played the most: Crusaders of the Dark Savant.

Brilliant game where making your party before actually playing was long and damn fun. Rolling till you get the Dwarf Lord or the Ninja/Bishop/other rare classes was so fun!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
RTS:

Age of Mythology. Still gets bashed by some when you bring the game up, but what other game do you have set your plebs to pray to the Gods for powers? lol.

Also, SimGolf was excellent and different. Probably Sid Meier's biggest sales dud, but I think it's more to do with the niche of the game not the gameplay itself.

Last underappreciated RTS: Blitzkreig - what I consider the pre-cursor to Company of Heroes

I love Age of Mythology, but it got plenty of press and hype and tons of people bought it. I think thats why theres so much hate for it.
But it doesnt truly qualify as under-appreciated.