Shorty's Big list of Modern Games

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I was walking around and Target a few weeks ago and noticed a crapload of cool looking games and realized this year might not be the worst for PC Gaming. Made a list of the stuff I like and wanted to share it with you guys. Was hoping I could get a consolidated review thing going here on AT.
I welcome input on any and all games. Maybe this could even be the official thread for cool games of the year 2007.

Gears of War - I liked the Xbox version, nothing special but a lot of fun.

Call of Duty 4 - Seems to be a big favorite here and around the web.

Supreme Commander EXPANSION - GOT IT! I loved the original and the add on makes it even better. Lots of new interface features and an additional faction to play. Also a few extra units for each original faction.

Tabula Rasa - This looked pretty good until I found out its an MMO.

Hellgate: London - Despite the great potential many places arent giving it excellent reviews. I think I will pass it up.

Timeshift - Looks interesting and has decent reviews.

The Witcher - I didnt think much of it at first but it seems to be a pretty good RPG and lots of places rate it well.

NWN2 EXPANSION - I GOT IT! Loads of good stuff.

Jerico - Havent heard too much but I havent looked into it either.

Quake Wars - Seems like folks either prefer Battlefield 2 or Team Fortress 2 to this. Though it does have lots of fans.

World in Conflict - This is the one I am most serious about getting right now. Its been a while since we had a really good modern RTS, Act of War was the last one and I am finally tired of it. This game has a buttload of excellent reviews all over the web.

Company Of Heroes EXPANSION - One exapnsion pack I just dont seem to be too keen on aquiring. I thought the original game was OK, but not as much fun as other similar THQ titles (Warhammer and such) and even with a 7900GTX the game wont run at max settings with decent framerates.

FEAR: Perseus Mandate - Looks like a stand alone. I liked the first one and its add on. Doesnt seem like anybody who hated the first one is enjoying this. But hardcore fans seem to love it.

Empire Earth 3 - I loved the first one but part 2 was a big letdown for me. Hopefully this will be much better.

CRYSIS - I think we all know about this baby by now. I am waiting to get an 8800GT before I buy it.

Team Fortress 2 - Looks to have excellent reviews all around. But I have seen a number of folks here complain its overrated.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Gears of War - never played
Call of Duty 4 - SP is ok, not as good as CoD1 and 2's SP. MP is pretty fun.
Supreme Commander - Didn't like it
Tabula Rasa - boring grindfest
Hellgate: London - boring as hell
Timeshift - never played
The Witcher - never played, sounds cool though.
NWN2 - didn't care for NWN1
Jericho - looks cool but got horrible reviews
Quake Wars - crappy BF2 clone
World in Conflict - If you think getting people to play an FPS together (as in a team) is hard, imagine gettign people to work as a team in an RTS where each person controls a separate type of units.
Company of Heroes - SP is fun up until the vehicles start arriving. then it just becomes hard and a vehicle spamming game. 1 play through was enough. never played MP or the expansion.
FEAR: Persues Mandate - FEAR sucked, can't imagine this is any better
Empire Earth 3 - never played
Crysis - far cry with better graphics.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
GoW - If you already played the 360 version, I don't see any reason to play this.

COD4 - Great game, fantastic SP AND MP, GOTY candidate in my opinion. Best in the series.

SupCom - I have mixed feelings about this, haven't gotten the expansion but that supposedly addresses a lot of my gripes with the original game.

TR - Hated the beta, but I'm done with MMO's so I'm biased.

Hellgate - was fun for a while but I think I got burned out on it, I'm pretty close the end and can't bring myself to finish because I'm not at all interested in seeing what happens, the story just isn't doing it for me.

Timeshift - haven't played.

The Witcher - I'm going to pick this up soon, supposed to be great.

Jericho - I was really really looking forward to this but it's actually not scary at all and a big disappointment.

NWN2 Expansion - I thought NWN2 was ok and loads better than NWN but I just don't have the time for it right now.

QW - Haven't played the full version but I played the beta a lot, it was fun but I could see myself getting bored with it very quickly.

WiC - I love this when it first came out, but MP is frustrating when you are on a crappy team where everyone wants to be air and arty and noone wants to take ground or provide AAA which is HOW YOU WIN THE GAME.

CoH - The xpansion is good, if you liked the original that is. Problem with this game in MP is that matches are normally decided at the beginning and you spend the next 20 minutes playing a match that you know you already lost.

FEAR - I liked the original but I didn't play any of the expansions, which to me means that I didn't like it THAT much. For what it's worth.

EE3 - I've never played any of these games, can't comment.

CRYSIS - Haven't played it or the demo. But I will say that most reviews I've read heap tons of accolades on the game but then don't justify their claims. Read the Gamespot review where they say it revolutionizes almost every aspect of the genre and then provide no evidence for their assertion.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I was walking around and Target a few weeks ago and noticed a crapload of cool looking games and realized this year might not be the worst for PC Gaming.

Ehh errmmm...one of the best years in PC gaming that I can recall ever IMHO.

Gears of War - Console port and really nothing special.

Call of Duty 4 - Why didn't I pick this up on release day! My God the SP is extraordinary. I can forgive the length due to the quality of the experience. I am amazed! Heard a lot of people like the MP as well or better than CS:Source...I really need to get around at playing the MP portion of the game.

Supreme Commander - I still prefer Total Annihilation, but this is a good game. Sold my copy awhile back, but the expansion has me intrigued. Will wait for a "Gold" edition that's well priced and includes both games before playing this again most likely. MP holds no weight with me, so I can wait for the SP campaigns.

Tabula Rasa - MMOs are not for me.

Hellgate London - Bugfest and don't like the grinding games, which have no point once you've seen the storyline (for me anyway). Might pick this up in the bargain bin someday once it is patched sufficiently.

The Witcher - Will have to look up info about this one.

NWN2 Expansion - Still haven't loaded up NWN2 ;). No comment.

Jericho - Highest number at Gamerankings is a 65% = dead to me.

Quake Wars - Large number of maps, MP is quite fun, and it supports native Widescreen resolutions out of the box...unlike some unnamed EA games (cough..BF2). Somewhat cartoonish, but not nearly as much as TF2 (which is also a great game BTW).

World in Conflict - Very pretty under DX10 and a lot of fun. Might make me get back into Online RTS MP. Patches with bug fixes and rebalancing are fairly frequent.

Company of Heros Expansion - Original was great, but I still haven't picked up the expansion. Too many other great games out right now.

FEAR Perseus Mandate - If you've never played the original and expansion, the Platinum edition is an awesome value. However, none of these games properly support widescreen and thus they don't get my money. I did play FEAR and the expansion prior to getting a WS monitor and I have to say they are both excellent games though.

Empire Earth 3 - Didn't even know this was out. No comment.

Crysis - SP is good and the game is beautiful. I really want to wait to finish this when there is hardware beefy enough to run it on Very High everything @60FPS with 4xAA and 16x HQAF. Will probably finish it around 2020 :).

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I can only comment on a few.

Call of Duty 4 - Excellent very short game.

Quake Wars - Not into the whole team based multi-player for a shooter. No SP? Hell no.

World in Conflict - Maybe if it was in the arcade

COH Expansion - I love the COH series. The add-on was excellent but also a little on the short side.

FEAR - Christ, talking about this game is like talking about the Old Testiment.

Crysis - It's beautiful. The suit adds a little functionality with the gameplay but the guns are pretty much tactless in stealth. A knife would of been fine to counter-balance the lack of stealth-ability to kill .

I have about 1,000 little gripes with every game so I'll just keep this short.