Short Term memory

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I have to remember 200 or so drinks and 10 types of wine in 3 weeks.

This is of course for bartending.

Could you do something like this or for something similiar?

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
That's 10 a day. Surely you can do that.

If not, lay off the pot.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Or you could practice making the drinks (and drinking them). If you can't remember them, who cares! I will be a great 3 weeks!

Mikey

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2006
Originally posted by: misle
That's 10 a day. Surely you can do that.

If not, lay off the pot.

Yeah, lay off the pot if you're having trouble remembering. It worked for me. :)

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
one trick is to make little stories up about the drinks. for example, for a mudslide--think of a russian guy in a big fur hat (vodka) trying to wrest a 1000 lb shamrock (bailey's) away from a fat mexican dude (kahlua) while sliding down a hill.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You should be able to memorize that in 3 weeks. Just make flash cards and study them everyday for a few times a day.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Yossarian
one trick is to make little stories up about the drinks. for example, for a mudslide--think of a russian guy in a big fur hat (vodka) trying to wrest a 1000 lb shamrock (bailey's) away from a fat mexican dude (kahlua) while sliding down a hill.

Nice...

I can just see myself in a drunken stupor trying to explain how to make a mudslide using this analogy alone, with nary a mention of the actual liquors involved.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
See significant, lasting changes in auditory and visual sequential processing skills and short-term memory capacity. Psychologists and educators call it "sequential processing." It is essential to

yelo333

Dec 13, 2003
I've been using Mnemosyne almost exclusively for the past couple of semesters. Worked great!

See this page for some tips on how to make flashcards.

Note that it focuses more on long-term retention than the I-need-to-know-this-stuff-tomorrow type of thing. So you may want to supplement it with some "normal" flash-card practice, to make sure you remember every last one...

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
lmao @ lay off the pot.

I learn that tall drinks are 5 oz, two-once cocktails are (duh) 2 oz, martini's and manhattans are 2 oz, and sours 3 oz.

Once I learn all the ingredients and proportions...I forget about what garnishes I have to use or the ones that can be served "up or on the rocks". Some of the more obscure ones anyway.

I work full time and go to school between 6-10 each work day. So maybe I just have to find more time to study.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: yelo333
I've been using Mnemosyne almost exclusively for the past couple of semesters. Worked great!

See this page for some tips on how to make flashcards.

Note that it focuses more on long-term retention than the I-need-to-know-this-stuff-tomorrow type of thing. So you may want to supplement it with some "normal" flash-card practice, to make sure you remember every last one...

I'll try this when I get home.