Shoplifting a problem in San Francisco Walgreens.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So THAT'S the response from the "security guard", I'd drag that punk off the bike and swift-kick him right in the nuts, WTF are you paying this person for if they can't protect the merch?.
Security guards do not have law enforcement powers; they'd have to call the real law enforcement over.
At least in my local area, it's very common for West Africans to occupy such a job. It is slightly above minimum wage work although since San Fran's min wage is already 15, the delta between min wage and their actual pay may not be that much.

Thievery is one of the most systemically advantageous crimes for the perpetrators, so if someone is actually convicted for theft or pleads guilty, warning bells should ring loudly in one's head if a record is discovered doing a background check.
It's systematically advantageous for the thief because even if they do get caught, the trial is so far away the witnesses can have conflicting testimony due to memory being faulty and thus that would lead to an acquittal(I literally witnessed such a case).

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Agreed, I have never known a retailer to want anyone confronted inside the property by an employee or guard or even a cop. These people are solely there as a viable deterrence.
Solution is always either more staff and/or shorter hours (to condense staff) or smaller foot print or simply close and move somewhere else.
"More staff"?, existing staff saw the scum stuffing the bag full of merch, would more be there to give him a high-five as he careens out the door?. Fuck that, I'd grab anything with a pole and clothesline that scumbag even if I was not a security guard. Followed by a robust skull-cracking if he tries to flee.

Feb 4, 2009
"More staff"?, existing staff saw the scum stuffing the bag full of merch, would more be there to give him a high-five as he careens out the door?. Fuck that, I'd grab anything with a pole and clothesline that scumbag even if I was not a security guard. Followed by a robust skull-cracking if he tries to flee.
All the businesses I have worked at would fire you for that behavior it is risky, disruptive and god forbid you were wrong.
I guess one shitty family owned business may have been okay with it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Best case you'd get fired, possibly convicted of assault. Worst case he (or the guy covering him while he snags the loot) pulls out a cheap shit .38 and shoots you for pissing him off.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Key is to make it look like an accident. ;) "I don't know officer, he fell down the stairs and slid in to the wall several times then a bunch of stuff just kept falling on him. It just happened so fast!"

Just make sure you're not still holding the baseball bat when you tell that story.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
At least in my local area, it's very common for West Africans to occupy such a job. It is slightly above minimum wage work although since San Fran's min wage is already 15, the delta between min wage and their actual pay may not be that much.

$16.32 is minimum wage in SF currently. It's been over $16 for a year or so.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Best case you'd get fired, possibly convicted of assault. Worst case he (or the guy covering him while he snags the loot) pulls out a cheap shit .38 and shoots you for pissing him off.
So if I'm stealing your car AND you catch me in the process you'd be guilty of "assault" if you intervened and kicked my ass?.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The cops might give some attention to you if the evidence is strong enough. The first thing they care about is money and if the shop's camera catches you being the aggressor, the states' attorney will likely try his darndest to extract a plea bargain of some sort out of you, put you on probation, and the legal system can enjoy easy money because you went vigilante justice.

They also might put the other guy through the system also because they have money as well.

Maybe, the prosecutor may offer some clemency due to avoiding bad press and a media firestorm.

Law is basically a set of axioms with conditions waiting to be triggered. You are fair game if logic dictates that you met the conditions, and discretion is not necessary for the states' attorney to adhere to. Legality and illegality is not morality. Law is blind to intentions.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So if I'm stealing your car AND you catch me in the process you'd be guilty of "assault" if you intervened and kicked my ass?.
No, but that guy wasn't stealing your car, he was stealing shit from a Walgreens. If Mr Walgreen rolled up in there with a baseball bat, sure, it's his shit I guess. Not one person who works in that store owns that stuff.

As an added bonus, he hasn't stolen anything until he leaves the store. You'd just be plain old assaulting him at that point.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's ridiculous how thieves are more protected than we are. The laws need to change. It's not any better here in Canada either. Heck even if someone is about to assault you, you're not allowed to defend yourself until they throw the first hit, stab, or gun shot. You're also not allowed to use or have anything on you for the purpose of self defense. It's absurd. We need more rights when it comes to protecting ourselves and our property. With the laws as is, you're better off just killing the person and getting rid of the body. Not like anyone is going to miss them or even be looking for them anyway.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
No, but that guy wasn't stealing your car, he was stealing shit from a Walgreens. If Mr Walgreen rolled up in there with a baseball bat, sure, it's his shit I guess. Not one person who works in that store owns that stuff.

As an added bonus, he hasn't stolen anything until he leaves the store. You'd just be plain old assaulting him at that point.
OK, lets see this bucket of scum try and explain in court how he was gonna empty that bag at the register and pay for everything, of course state law varies, but I doubt it would be viewed as a groundless "assault"

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
OK, lets see this bucket of scum try and explain in court how he was gonna empty that bag at the register and pay for everything, of course state law varies, but I doubt it would be viewed as a groundless "assault"
Right, so he'll get hit for attempted petty theft, and you'll be hit with assault with a deadly weapon, possibly attempted murder depending on the case and how good the lawyers are. Yay for your side?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's funny though when you hear people that voted for a huge criminal in Trump, super concerned about shoplifting crimes.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
His head should be split with an axe too. I don't discriminate based on income ;^)
I'm down with punishing shoplifters. Compared to the last president, when you put things into context, they should be treated quite well comparatively.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It's ridiculous how thieves are more protected than we are. The laws need to change. It's not any better here in Canada either. Heck even if someone is about to assault you, you're not allowed to defend yourself until they throw the first hit, stab, or gun shot. You're also not allowed to use or have anything on you for the purpose of self defense. It's absurd. We need more rights when it comes to protecting ourselves and our property. With the laws as is, you're better off just killing the person and getting rid of the body. Not like anyone is going to miss them or even be looking for them anyway.
Lol liberalism. Embrace it.

😀

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Pretty much. The issue is there is no middle ground it seems. It's either extreme liberalism or extreme conservatism. Both are bad in their own ways.

Most liberals want reasonable punishments for crimes with rehabilitative prison for a lot of crimes such as non violent crimes or low level violent crimes. Most conservatives want to elect criminals to office, at least in this country as we have seen by the last two presidential elections, and put blue collar criminals in for profit prisons for as long as possible while serving harsher justice to minorities especially, and letting white collar criminals get away with robbing people of millions and tens of millions.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Aussie gave up the guns...history has many examples if,this,not ending well.

Australia is quickly turning into some kind of dictatorship, it's insane the stuff going on there right now. Sadly I think we're not far behind here in Canada. This whole vaccine mandate stuff is not even about a virus anymore, it's some weird agenda that I don't quite understand the point of. Just some kind of punitive thing now. There are more than enough people vaccinated at this point that we should have moved on from this a long time ago.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Australia is quickly turning into some kind of dictatorship, it's insane the stuff going on there right now. Sadly I think we're not far behind here in Canada. This whole vaccine mandate stuff is not even about a virus anymore, it's some weird agenda that I don't quite understand the point of. Just some kind of punitive thing now. There are more than enough people vaccinated at this point that we should have moved on from this a long time ago.
Government control. Keep your shotgun close.

Seriously, look at history. What happened to Venezuela? The recent example.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Here in various redneck states we still have some hospitals overwhelmed, and we just recently as a month ago had non Covid patients dying because they couldn't receive care due to unvaxxed idiots taking up too many resources in a lot more hospitals. The point of getting people vaxxed is to avoid mutations and variants hitting us hard down the road. It's not rocket science.

You support a party that tried to overthrow democracy and you think you have room to talk shit about government overreach with phantasmagorical comparisons to Venezuela? You people are insane.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah we are in for a rough ride I think. It's one of the reasons I bought off grid land, hoping I can get myself to a point of being mostly self sufficient before things get really bad. I will need to get decently equipped to defend it though.