Shoplifting a problem in San Francisco Walgreens.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The financial wizards that stole hundreds of millions during the sub prime crisis. Pretty sure they didn't even get slaps on the wrists.

Those guys should be serving ten year prison sentences.

So people that steal a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff should be less, let's say.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yes this is a problem at our Dollar General stores too, they go in steal a ton of stuff then put it up on facebook yardsale sites. Sister in law just stopped one couple days ago. Had the woman hauled off by the police. Woman couldn't explain why she was stealing.
Our Dollar General now keeps Imodium AD behind the counter, they were being stolen like mad, I read that because it's some sort of low level opiate idiots take 10X the recommended dose to either get a buzz or stave off withdrawals. Must be fun trying to shit out concrete mix for the next two days, hope they don't close DG, it's convenient and cheap.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Actually -
The closures will bring to 22 the number of Walgreens stores closed in San Francisco in the past five years.
Roughly 50 will remain open once these next 5 are closed.

They are not closing due to OTC meds being used for illicit purposes - They are closing due to rampant theft and these folks selling the goods to some dude for 20% of retail and it ending up at the Swapmeet.

More on the rampant retail theft:
So THAT'S the response from the "security guard", I'd drag that punk off the bike and swift-kick him right in the nuts, WTF are you paying this person for if they can't protect the merch?.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
So THAT'S the response from the "security guard", I'd drag that punk off the bike and swift-kick him right in the nuts, WTF are you paying this person for if they can't protect the merch?.
And you get locked up.

Cool.

This is San Fran.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
brain pan
lkbagaxnlfzb.gif

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
At least I'd be left with a modicum of pride that I didn't turn into a jellyfish as a F-ing thug rode past with a trash-bag full of merch.
No amount of merch is worth risking your life over, especially for what security guards get paid, and there is no point to apprehending someone for theft when you have DAs enabling the behavior.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris
Feb 4, 2009
No amount of merch is worth risking your life over, especially for what security guards get paid, and there is no point to apprehending someone for theft when you have DAs enabling the behavior.

Agreed, I have never known a retailer to want anyone confronted inside the property by an employee or guard or even a cop. These people are solely there as a viable deterrence.
Solution is always either more staff and/or shorter hours (to condense staff) or smaller foot print or simply close and move somewhere else.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Is there any point in employing security guards if they are just going to let people walk out after filling a bin bag though?

Reactions: BUTCH1

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Is there any point in employing security guards if they are just going to let people walk out after filling a bin bag though?
Fair point, although the escalation to lethal responses for things like shoplifting is how we got to this point. The pendulum has now swung towards anarchy, which will of course cause things to swing back to where we started.

Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Fair point, although the escalation to lethal responses for things like shoplifting is how we got to this point. The pendulum has now swung towards anarchy, which will of course cause things to swing back to where we started.

maybe we'll swing back to the "bloody code" of the 1600s/1700s where they would hang kids and adults for lots of stuff, including stealing anything worth more than 12 pence (about 10$ today)

you could even get the death penalty for bankruptcy, though it sounds like they'd usually just put you in the stocks for that

george savile said it best:

"men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be stolen."

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse