Shooting at the Empire State Building

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
Why do people go and shoot random strangers when they are mad at a specific person or place? Why not at least shoot those responsible for your problem? That way you (generic you) can rationalize it by saying you are saving others from your fate and teaching people an important lesson.

I have always wondered the same thing. If you're going to commit suicide (by cop, in this case) then why not eliminate the person(s) whom you think are responsible for your predicament? Maybe we will later find out that the guy he killed was a real dick and may have had it coming.

In this guy's case, he may have already decided that his life was no longer worth living and that he should seek out revenge before checking out.

Last edited:

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/justice/new-york-empire-state/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Wow, just wow. I can understand cops accidentally hitting one or two people in a crossfire but 9? jeez.

Out of 16 shots fired, 9 hit innocent bystanders. Not missed...actually hit someone?!

Honestly, I do not expect accuracy from a rural police officer who would be extremely unlikely to need to take a shot in a very crowded area. I expect a hell of a lot better from a downtown NYC cop.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Out of 16 shots fired, 9 hit innocent bystanders. Not missed...actually hit someone?!

Honestly, I do not expect accuracy from a rural police officer who would be extremely unlikely to need to take a shot in a very crowded area. I expect a hell of a lot better from a downtown NYC cop.

You have it totally backwards, a rural cop is probably more familiar with firearms and safe practices then your typical New York union thug cop will ever be.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
You have it totally backwards, a rural cop is probably more familiar with firearms and safe practices then your typical New York union thug cop will ever be.

i was going to say that. i bet rural cops spend more time with guns shooting. I know the county sheriff that lives in town shots often in the summer (we can hear it).

nto to mention all the hunting that goes on.

Feb 24, 2001

Google Glock and New York trigger.

The city requires something like double the trigger pull of a normal pistol. Keeps people from "accidentally" pulling the trigger. It also makes it impossible to aim accurately. The harder to squeeze, the more you shake.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have seen a video of the actual take down, it was nearly a point blank fire fight, with no chance of cover for the cops. All the cops could do was move, duck, dodge, and return fire. I would have done the same thing, and trust me, you're not gonna be all that accurate with all your return fire.
It was not a quick death for Johnson, he squirmed for quite a spell.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If these cops ACTUALLY hit 9 fvcking bystanders it's time to take their guns away--probably the entire police force, and do like they do in England where only the police who know what the fvck they are doing are allowed to respond with firearms.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
If these cops ACTUALLY hit 9 fvcking bystanders it's time to take their guns away--probably the entire police force, and do like they do in England where only the police who know what the fvck they are doing are allowed to respond with firearms.

1 of the bystanders says he was struck by Johnson. Others could have been hit with bullet fragments, or concrete. And again, these cops were in the open, taking fire at less than 10 feet. I doubt anyone's aim would be accurate under those circumstances. It's not like the old west gunfight, where you just stand there and hope to survive.
I'm no cop lover, believe me, but this time I can find no fault in their actions.

Oct 16, 1999

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
1 of the bystanders says he was struck by Johnson. Others could have been hit with bullet fragments, or concrete. And again, these cops were in the open, taking fire at less than 10 feet. I doubt anyone's aim would be accurate under those circumstances. It's not like the old west gunfight, where you just stand there and hope to survive.
I'm no cop lover, believe me, but this time I can find no fault in their actions.

I'm not an anti-Cop troll like Sandbeagle is, but these NYC cops completely fucked this whole thing up and wounded people when there was no imminent threat.

This dude was there to assassinate someone, he did that and was trying to simply melt away again. The cops went John Woo and injured 9 other people. There was no shootout, these cops just went nuts.

The city and those cops are going to get sued to hell and back. Rightfully so from what information has been released too.