shocking kerry edwards video.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: bozack
To Piano, Don, and conjur....just wanted to see what kind of answers you all would come up with regaring your labeling this as "homophobic"

I doubt I can do a better job explaining it than Happyhelper already has. The only comic value it has comes from the fact that it implies a homosexual relationship between Sen Kerry and Sen Edwards (which is just silly), and that such a relationship would be funny.

FWIW, I'm not offended by the animation at all - I just think it's completely juvenile and stupid, and plays on people's homophobia. I think it's fundamentally witless, and about as amusing as, and philosophically similar to, the Rush Limbaugh show.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: DonVito
[I just think it's completely juvenile and stupid

Okay, so you prefer sophisticated and enlightening humor?

Not necessarily. I like all kinds of juvenile humor. The Simpsons and Howard Stern are my favorite shows on their respective media. They, though, are witty, whereas that video is not. I'm not offended by it, I just don't find it funny. Obviously YMMV.

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
Wow, a national presidential ticket comfortable enough to actually touch each other in public? HOMOS!!
don't forget that Kerry is a jew. Nothing worse than a gay jew.
/cry

Are you serious? You should be banned for that...

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Mocking people isn't showing contempt?

Hmmmm

It's not, necessarily.

When Jon Stewart mocks Kerry or Bush, does it mean he's contemptuous towards both of them? Not necessarily. When I mock my friends, does that mean I secretly loathe them? Perhaps, they are assholes sometimes...but that's irrelevant.

Contempt and humorous ribbing do not necessarily go hand in hand. It's all about the intent of the person telling the joke, something that you cannot glean without actually knowing the person. Seeing the video on the web site tells you nothing about the author or his intent, so you cannot reason what his intent was.

And if it DOES show contempt, it shows contempt for those being mocked, not gays. I simply see no reason why this offensive to anyone for any reasonable reason, unless you're in the PC crowd and think sexual orientation shouldn't be the the subject of humor.

If there's someone on these boards that feels they can represent the opinions of the gay community on this matter, speak up.

In the meantime, I'll show it to my hair stylist next time I see him and see what he thinks.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
To Piano, Don, and conjur....just wanted to see what kind of answers you all would come up with regaring your labeling this as "homophobic"

I doubt I can do a better job explaining it than Happyhelper already has. The only comic value it has comes from the fact that it implies a homosexual relationship between Sen Kerry and Sen Edwards (which is just silly), and that such a relationship would be funny.

FWIW, I'm not offended by the animation at all - I just think it's completely juvenile and stupid, and plays on people's homophobia. I think it's fundamentally witless, and about as amusing as, and philosophically similar to, the Rush Limbaugh show.

this comming from someone who enjoys the simpsons and stern?? ok

Feb 10, 2000

this comming from someone who enjoys the simpsons and stern?? ok

I'm not sure I see what you're implying. As I said above, I'm not offended by the video, but it's clearly homophobic. My main objection to it is that it tries to be funny and fails. The Simpsons is, in my view, the most literate satire ever broadcast in the US, and while Stern is obviously a love-him-or-hate-him personality, I think he's a genius and one of the most gifted comedic minds in the world. That video, on the other hand, is witless and stupid IMO.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
God, looking at some of these posts explains why their is no tolerence in the world. Nobody can take a damn joke. Must be nice to run around all day long being bitter. Morons. :roll:

KK

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
First of all, I think the video was homophobic.

If you make fun of someone by calling him stupid, you are indirectly implying that being stupid is a bad thing. Even if it was just a joke to a buddy, you are still implicitly stating that being stupid is undesireable. By making fun of people who are not gay for being gay, you are implying that being gay is something mockable.

That being said, I thought it was kinda funny, and sometimes you can't take these things too seriously. No real harm was indended or done.

You can still be mindful of the negative stereotypes in our culture witout being a tightass. I am saying this generally, not directly to you conjur. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't say anything, just that your response should be balanced w/r/t the real magnitude of the bad. Homophobia is almost a dirty word to some people, and it doesn't really help anything to throw it around without some context.

Everyone has negative stereotypes, and we all have to acknowledge them. I have a heck of a time trying to convice my girlfriend that not all Christians are witch-burning, gay-bashing, sexist bastards.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not sure I see what you're implying. As I said above, I'm not offended by the video, but it's clearly homophobic. My main objection to it is that it tries to be funny and fails. The Simpsons is, in my view, the most literate satire ever broadcast in the US, and while Stern is obviously a love-him-or-hate-him personality, I think he's a genius and one of the most gifted comedic minds in the world. That video, on the other hand, is witless and stupid IMO.
Interesting, how, at the end of the day, we are all individuals here.

For instance, Don Vito is one of the select few here for whom I have almost unreserved admiration. And yet, on the touchstone of this video, we diverge. I just wouldn't simply label it homophobic. While I can instantly think of some militant (and somewhat humorless) lesbians I have known who would have been predictably outraged by it, I can also think of more than one gay guy I've known whose primary reaction to it would have been unreserved, unconscious laughter, and at least one diesel *** who would have guffawed and punched me (hard) in the arm in lesbian manly appreciation.

I admit that all of the above is speculation, because one of the factors about being out here in Bucks County, Pa with the cows and the Republicans (as I sometimes wryly put it) is that I'm no longer close day to day buddies with any gay folk (as opposed to earlier, more urban settings).

So I guess I'll stick to my own reaction, which is not one of any outrage. Granted, it's really not all that funny (C+ to a B-, at best), but the video also doesn't make me wince.

What's actually more interesting to me here is the Don's take on the Simpsons and Howard Stern. We are in full agreement on the Simpson's, definitely the most literate satire ever of US origin. But I never did cotton to Howard Stern, despite having many highly intelligent friends who loved him, chief amongst them one of my closest friends these last 17 years, Tom Heitzenrater, a card carrying LIBERAL.

How liberal is he, Johnny? Why, he's SO liberal he was the stand-in Green Party candidate in 2002 for Pa. State Representative in the 144th district. It was Tom's TV show that I wrote for and acted in for five years. Of the other two main writers, one was also at least as huge a Stern fan as Tom, and the other guy liked Stern as well. Not me. I've never found Stern funny, and I did try to listen to him. I found him one of those guys who wanted his "irony" both ways. I think he's something of a weasel. I found his humor cheap and predictable, AND UNFUNNY! I ate a lot of sh!t at our drunken weekly writer's meetings for my views. And folks, I'm pretty damn loose, pretty damn profane, and no prude!

I just don't like Howard Stern. My point? Chaque un a son gout OR De gustibus non est disputandum
oder Alles (ist) wurst. In English you could go with, "That's why they have horse races" (Each to his own taste).

So in the end, we're all individuals here, despite our stark, artificial and deeply depressing division into two warring political camps on this forum. Yet accross the wide, variegated purview of actual life, no two of us think exactly alike. There's something comforting to me about that fact.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose
Interesting, how, at the end of the day, we are all individuals here.

For instance, Don Vito is one of the select few here for whom I have almost unreserved admiration. And yet, on the touchstone of this video, we diverge. I just wouldn't simply label it homophobic. While I can instantly think of some militant (and somewhat humorless) lesbians I have known who would have been predictably outraged by it, I can also think of more than one gay guy I've known whose primary reaction to it would have been unreserved, unconscious laughter, and at least one diesel *** who would have guffawed and punched me (hard) in the arm in lesbian manly appreciation.

I admit that all of the above is speculation, because one of the factors about being out here in Bucks County, Pa with the cows and the Republicans (as I sometimes wryly put it) is that I'm no longer close day to day buddies with any gay folk (as opposed to earlier, more urban settings).

So I guess I'll stick to my own reaction, which is not one of any outrage. Granted, it's really not all that funny (C+ to a B-, at best), but the video also doesn't make me wince.

What's actually more interesting to me here is the Don's take on the Simpsons and Howard Stern. We are in full agreement on the Simpson's, definitely the most literate satire ever of US origin. But I never did cotton to Howard Stern, despite having many highly intelligent friends who loved him, chief amongst them one of my closest friends these last 17 years, Tom Heitzenrater, a card carrying LIBERAL.

How liberal is he, Johnny? Why, he's SO liberal he was the stand-in Green Party candidate in 2002 for Pa. State Representative in the 144th district. It was Tom's TV show that I wrote for and acted in for five years. Of the other two main writers, one was also at least as huge a Stern fan as Tom, and the other guy liked Stern as well. Not me. I've never found Stern funny, and I did try to listen to him. I found him one of those guys who wanted his "irony" both ways. I think he's something of a weasel. I found his humor cheap and predictable, AND UNFUNNY! I ate a lot of sh!t at our drunken weekly writer's meetings for my views. And folks, I'm pretty damn loose, pretty damn profane, and no prude!

I just don't like Howard Stern. My point? Chaque un a son gout OR De gustibus non est disputandum
oder Alles (ist) wurst. In English you could go with, "That's why they have horse races" (Each to his own taste).

So in the end, we're all individuals here, despite our stark, artificial and deeply depressing division into two warring political camps on this forum. Yet accross the wide, variegated purview of actual life, no two of us think exactly alike. There's something comforting to me about that fact.

:beer:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MachFive
Jesus christ people.

I'm one of the most pro-gay hetero's your gonna run across around here, and *I* think it's funny. It's not homophobic. If that's homophobic, the definition must have been re-written in my sleep.

ho·mo·pho·bi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hm-fb-)
n.
1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
2. Behavior based on such a feeling.

Therefore, homophobic would mean the condition of exhibiting fear or contempt of gays, and behavior resulting form such feelings.

That link that was posted? It's called FUNNY. Look that one up in a dictionary.

its the context. bush and the republicans are on their little anti gay F*ck with the constution rampage right now. trading on fear, hatred, righteous sadism, all the worst aspects of man to bolster their party. now add this cleverly guised appeal to the homophobia of their supporters and it just gets just that more disgusting.

just imagine if it were an antimisegination amendment to the constitution, and if edwards were black:p