Shocking Egypt Police Video Stirs Debate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Despite the similarities, the Egyptian government is our "friend" while Saddam's government was our "foe"

Except when Saddam was our "friend" he did commit (as best as I can recollect) all the crimes we condemn him for. Just look at New York, L.A., New Orleans, we have our own rogue cops.

Interesting how people forget this detail. Supporting regimes like those found in Egypt and Saudi Arabia will come to bite us in the rear in the end if it hasn't already.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
Zero suprise. Police are exactly the same all over the world.

When I was in college, our physchiatry class interviewed several students from the police academy to the physics department, and the police academy students all showed several peculilarities. Almost to a man, they all had odd emotional responses to words like gun (which is understandable due to their training), mother, victim, torture, and stuff like that. It was our summation that certain professions attract people with certain disfunctions.

I do want to add that quote from Orwell (sorry if I'm butchering it): Peaceful men sleep peacefully in their beds because violent men stand by ready to do violence in their name.

This however does not condone torture, just that police are a nessecary evil.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The west is responsible for the Mongol hordes? :confused:

I guess I'm not following how that link relates in any way to what you're saying.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
Originally posted by: judasmachine

When I was in college, our physchiatry class interviewed several students from the police academy to the physics department, and the police academy students all showed several peculilarities. Almost to a man, they all had odd emotional responses to words like gun (which is understandable due to their training), mother, victim, torture, and stuff like that. It was our summation that certain professions attract people with certain disfunctions.

I do want to add that quote from Orwell (sorry if I'm butchering it): Peaceful men sleep peacefully in their beds because violent men stand by ready to do violence in their name.
This however does not condone torture, just that police are a nessecary evil.

Strong words indeed... and the truth, but not the whole truth. I want those violent men... I want them & we need them, but when the time is right. Daddyo, that ain't the time for violent men (the tale from Egypt). It's not even close.

When the time is right, I'll glady be one of those violent men. I'll just wait 'till it's time.

imported_hscorpio

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: keird
1prophet: Thanks for that post. I didn't know that.

Its a lot more complicated. Here's a lecture from the royal society discussing the issue of
Islam and science. The author claims European colonialism was the main cause of the decline of Islamic science, but he also talks about the other explanations.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Give the west a 500 year kick backwards and leave the the Islamic world alone and it would be the west in that predicament now.

All the west did was colonize an already fractured and weakened society which would not have been possible without the mongol invasions. But when one needs an enemy to blame for ones political or religious reasons the West fits that role not some enemy that doesn't exist anymore.

The Mongols were the most brutal, feared, and largest land empire the world has ever seen. They were hated and loathed so much that the Russians forbade his name to be spoken and tried to wipe his name out of history when they were under Soviet rule.

During the seven decades the Soviet Union ran Mongolia, Moscow feared the deification of Genghis Khan would incite Mongolian nationalism, so even mentioning his name was forbidden. People were banned from visiting his home province of Khentii in the northeast; a Soviet tank base sat on the sole road connecting Khentii to the rest of the country

Historians in the West and in China, India, Iran and other nations that fell to Genghis Khan's horsemen in the early 1200s see the onslaught of the Mongol hordes as an apocalyptic event that threatened to end their ancient civilizations forever.

When Islam Almost Vanished

The genocide lasted decades. Historians said that the world had never seen murder and destruction on such a massive scale. Millions died and those left alive often longed for death. People openly wondered whether the light of Islam would be forever extinguished..

In the thirteenth century a tidal wave of devastation swept over the Muslim world. City after city, region after region disintegrated amidst a storm of iron and fire. The death toll was incredible.

Nishapur 1,747,000 dead
Baghdad 1,600,000 dead
Herat 1,600,000 dead
Samarkand 950,000 dead
Merv 700,000 dead
Aleppo 50,000 dead
Balkh completely destroyed
Khiva completely destroyed
Harran completely destroyed

Remember this is with arrows and swords not tanks, bombs, bullets, and airplanes

The Tartar Holocaust began in 1218 CE six centuries after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. It moved westward from Mongolia across Central Asia and the Persian Gulf, southward toward Delhi and northwest to Budapest and Moscow. People as far away as Sweden shuddered at the thought of a Mongol invasion. Muslims were so overawed by their power that one Mongol could kill over a hundred Muslims and none would dare defend himself. In Arabic a proverb sprang up which meant that if someone tells you the Mongols have suffered a defeat don?t believe him

No empire has ever been feared or loathed as much as Genghis Kahn and the mongols even to the end of the 20th century, consequently many to this day try to marginalize or revise history, after all who wants to admit their glorious empire, western or eastern, was defeated by a bunch of flea bitten, illiterate, pagan nomad types who conquered empires much larger then themselves.:laugh:

The main reason that the West is were it is today is because of the separation of church and state not technology or superior culture.;)

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50

You are ignorant

Eloquent rebuttal. Did you get that one from the bathroom wall at Winchells?

When you say something so utterly retarded, you don't deserve any more of a reply than that. Saying that Police all over the world do crap like this is so ignorant its ridiculous. In the US at least, Police brutality is the exception, not the rule. Maybe you should try thinking before you post.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: judasmachine
see my sig...

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

You are ignorant

When you say something so utterly retarded, you don't deserve any more of a reply than that. Saying that Police all over the world do crap like this is so ignorant its ridiculous. In the US at least, Police brutality is the exception, not the rule. Maybe you should try thinking before you post.

You really need to:

A. Learn the meaning of "ignorant".

B. Stop calling everyone you disagree with "ignorant" and "retarded".

C. Offer some logical argument, facts or even common sense instead of trying to insult
everyone.

:cookie:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: feralkid

You are ignorant

You really need to:

A. Learn the meaning of "ignorant".

B. Stop calling everyone you disagree with "ignorant" and "retarded".

C. Offer some logical argument, facts or even common sense instead of trying to insult
everyone.

From Wikipedia - Ignorance 1) is a lack of knowledge

Saying that all Police around the world do this is showing a severe lack of knowledge. His statement insinuates that this is normal behavior by Police, again, showing his lack of knowledge.

The person that should be offering "some logical argument, facts or even common sense " would be the person that originally said "Police are exactly the same all over the world". Shouldn't the person making the original claim be the one to offer facts?

I would say that Tommywishbone started with the insults when he stated that "Police are exactly the same all over the world" in a thread about Police brutality. Being a former Police Officer and never seeing brutality, I take that as a major insult. Maybe you should be directing your above comments to Tommywishbone.