Shipping a CPU

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
What is the proper packaging when shipping a CPU? I need to send one out and I already sent another one out with this plastic I got from another CPU. I no longer have those plastic containers. I only have anti-static bags. Would packaging the bare chip inside the anti-static bag with peanuts be sufficient? I don't want the receiver to have any bent pins!

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Pack it right or don't sell it, please. Bag + peanuts != good packing.

That being said, I hate selling chips because of the packing. I usually use the packing from a new one if I have it, or I just sell it localy.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Anti-static bag + soft foam (pieces of HD packaging, perhaps) inside a small box..insulated with peanuts inside a larger box.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
CPUs aren't shipped in anti-static bags.. at least not the ones that I've ever ordered... why do so many people demand them when buying a used one?

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Put chip in anti-static bag. Fold bag around chip many times (don't just crumple bag up, fold it nicely as it will add proper cushion this way) and then tape around the nice square you should have now.

I use newspaper instead of peanuts as the chip might be able to bounce around in the peanuts.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Anti-static bag + soft foam (pieces of HD packaging, perhaps) inside a small box..insulated with peanuts inside a larger box.

Those blown up plastic bags would be really good. Thanks.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: supafly
CPUs aren't shipped in anti-static bags.. at least not the ones that I've ever ordered... why do so many people demand them when buying a used one?

Perhaps because they are shipped in anti-static plastic? Unless you're talking about tray-packs.

edmundoab

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2003
www.facebook.com
soft foam on the base to protect the pins would be needed.
and yes like everyone said, an anti static bag to protect the entire erm, hard plastic case if you have one.

it should be good to go

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005
IIRC, it's an anti-static clamshell box, with the pins stuck in anti-static foam that also protects them from being bent up.

You maybe should have saved what it is that your CPU came in.

cirthix

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
DO NOT use an antistatic bag directly on the pins, they bend very easily. use a piece of conductive foam, tape it to the cpu's pins, then protect the top. tossing the whole thing in a bag will work good once the pins are protected.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: cirthix
DO NOT use an antistatic bag directly on the pins, they bend very easily. use a piece of conductive foam, tape it to the cpu's pins, then protect the top. tossing the whole thing in a bag will work good once the pins are protected.

QFT!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've shipped 4 CPUs, 1 P3, 2 AXP's & 1 A64) ... all three were packed the same way in the original plastic tray they came in, then sealed inside an anti-static bag surrounded by foam peanuts. 3 of the 4 survived & made it to the buyer without issue... the A64 was doa for some strange reason, but AMD rma'ed it.