Shell sued by Farmers for pollution. What is really happening ?

May 11, 2008
It is mentioned that Shell did cause spills.
It is also mentioned that the region is filled with people trying to damage the oil pipelines in order to get to the oil. But why and how ?

What is the history of oil, shell and all activities in Nigeria ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19905694
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...igeria-africa_n_1956931.html?utm_hp_ref=green

Who has a proper answer for me ?

EDIT:
Oops, i almost forgot :
The reason why i ask is this qoute from the text :

Allard Castelein, Shell's vice president for environment, told Reuters before the hearing.
The biggest pollution problem in the Niger Delta was caused by thieves who steal oil from Shell's installations, he said. Around 150,000 barrels of oil are stolen every day in the Delta. That is worth about $6 billion a year.

I cannot imagine Shell would not do nothing if there is oil stolen worth $6 billion dollars a year.
Or they make an insane amount of money and do not care about this.
Or this is a lie.
Or there is more to those 150,000 barrels stolen every day.

Last edited:

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
They patch up damaged pipelines but do not clean up the oil that was spilled. Most of the pipes are old and rusty (so there's also leaks without people damaging it) , but they don't replace them with better ones nor do they improve security to prevent damage. They minimize costs to maximize profits, and it's cheaper to fix holes once in a while than to prevent leaks and theft (the amount stolen is not so big that they can make more by protecting the pipelines).

It's been a 'public secret' for years that they don't clean up after them, only when there's a too loud public outcry and governments get involved are they willing to do something (Mostly out of fear of losing contracts I guess).

May 11, 2008
They patch up damaged pipelines but do not clean up the oil that was spilled. Most of the pipes are old and rusty (so there's also leaks without people damaging it) , but they don't replace them with better ones nor do they improve security to prevent damage. They minimize costs to maximize profits, and it's cheaper to fix holes once in a while than to prevent leaks and theft (the amount stolen is not so big that they can make more by protecting the pipelines).

It's been a 'public secret' for years that they don't clean up after them, only when there's a too loud public outcry and governments get involved are they willing to do something (Mostly out of fear of losing contracts I guess).

That is what i also expected. This behavior is typical for multinationals active in a foreign country. Same as when companies moved production to China a few years ago. Nobody could enforce them to clean up toxic waste.
If Shell really loses 6 billion dollars a year as the vice president claims, i cannot imagine that cleaning up, increased inspection and maintenance with security costs 6 billion dollars a year.

I would start to think that statement is a blatant lie.

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
I remember a case a year ago where about 100 people where burned to death while stealing oil in the Niger delta,there are no good guys in these kind of stories.

May 11, 2008
I remember a case a year ago where about 100 people where burned to death while stealing oil in the Niger delta,there are no good guys in these kind of stories.

There is a lot of horrible events going on there and have happened in the past. More news should be about what is going on there. But as always, the new nose of some pushed music star is seen more important as prime time news then lives. Or reality shows with overweight idiots are more important... It is just a metaphor, but sometimes watching what is on tv and seeing how people behave... I would almost start to think i must be present in one of Dante's rings. To be longing for a good show or documentary and only having crazy reality shows. Without the internet to read or good books... I would never use any media anymore.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I saw something a while ago about companies like this moving into places like Brazil and polluting small villages and communities. In one village, their water supply was pretty much destroyed by the company pumping pollutants into the water. They had no other source to drink from...a lot of villagers got sick, some died, and some ended up disabled.

It was a bunch of bull..the company claimed they had nothing to do with it. The villagers tried to fight back and petition their Government to get rid of the company. The Government hand their hands in the company's pockets...

Villagers permanently fucked.

May 11, 2008
I saw something a while ago about companies like this moving into places like Brazil and polluting small villages and communities. In one village, their water supply was pretty much destroyed by the company pumping pollutants into the water. They had no other source to drink from...a lot of villagers got sick, some died, and some ended up disabled.

It was a bunch of bull..the company claimed they had nothing to do with it. The villagers tried to fight back and petition their Government to get rid of the company. The Government hand their hands in the company's pockets...

Amazing and disgusting, when watching movies such scenarios are often used. When one has no money at all, i can understand certain decisions. But when one has millions and still has to behave as an ordinary crook...
But of course, something similar might very well be the case with Shell. Hence why Shell wants it handled locally. Personally i think it would be best if it would be done internationally.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Amazing and disgusting, when watching movies such scenarios are often used. When one has no money at all, i can understand certain decisions. But when one has millions and still has to behave as an ordinary crook...
But of course, something similar might very well be the case with Shell. Hence why Shell wants it handled locally. Personally i think it would be best if it would be done internationally.

Shell steals oil? Care to explain how do they "steal" oil when they have gone through the local government in that nation to have that right to drill and extract oil in that nation? Furthermore if one would actually believe your false claim and considering that Shell exports this oil and it is refined into other products which YOU knowingly purchase and use then that would in turn make you an accomplice of this "theft" because you knowingly purchase goods made from this "Stolen" oil.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

I guess they should of lobbied for more big government to come to their rescue right? LOLOLOLOL

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It is mentioned that Shell did cause spills.
It is also mentioned that the region is filled with people trying to damage the oil pipelines in order to get to the oil. But why and how ?

What is the history of oil, shell and all activities in Nigeria ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19905694
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...igeria-africa_n_1956931.html?utm_hp_ref=green

Who has a proper answer for me ?

EDIT:
Oops, i almost forgot :
The reason why i ask is this qoute from the text :

I cannot imagine Shell would not do nothing if there is oil stolen worth $6 billion dollars a year.
Or they make an insane amount of money and do not care about this.
Or this is a lie.
Or there is more to those 150,000 barrels stolen every day.

Considering that Shell would potentially receive approximately 30% of that 6 billion and doesn't/can't have a standing army in Nigeria I can see them walking away from the losses. Nigeria also produces 2.2 million barrels a day so 150 thousand is less than 10% normal production.

May 11, 2008
Shell steals oil? Care to explain how do they "steal" oil when they have gone through the local government in that nation to have that right to drill and extract oil in that nation? Furthermore if one would actually believe your false claim and considering that Shell exports this oil and it is refined into other products which YOU knowingly purchase and use then that would in turn make you an accomplice of this "theft" because you knowingly purchase goods made from this "Stolen" oil.

Oh, do not be so typical "American during election time with false ads". Of course it is not Shell stealing oil. You read into it what you want to read or make a false statement.
However it is not uncommon that the local officials have a very nice life because of the contracts provided and signed. Usually an extremely good deal for the international company and a good deal for the official. When you think big, you think big. But of course, thinking big is a subjective term.

May 11, 2008
Considering that Shell would potentially receive approximately 30% of that 6 billion and doesn't/can't have a standing army in Nigeria I can see them walking away from the losses. Nigeria also produces 2.2 million barrels a day so 150 thousand is less than 10% normal production.

I understand that, but i think that in this situation... It is just an idea, that friends of the earth group play their cards right, they can prevent the oil spilling and thefts and damage and pollution by providing a solution for an oil protection guard division of the local army. The money earned from the sales of the not stolen barrels, and the not existing clean up actions in the long term and of the not lost oil, will pay for such a division. People have jobs from such a division and increased maintenance. This seems like an efficiency issue. And not looking just only at two variables such as time and money, but also looking at the stability in the region (criminals highly likely pay for their weapons by selling stolen barrels or making use of the oil for vehicles.) , local nature and the safety of people. Shell can play a big part in this and will boost their "good will" image.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The situation there is an extreme example of what's happening here in the good 'ol US of A: No trickle down. The folks who Shell made the deal with is behaving just like the very rich in the US. Shell gets theirs, the guys they made the deal with gets theirs too, and they're hoarding it for themselves. Those poor folks who's stealing oil? It looks like that's their way of getting in on the action that their "leaders" refuse to allow them via denial of improved infrastructure, better schools, social services etc.