Sheldon Silver, one of the three who run NY arrested.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Our Emperor Cuomo as I like to refer to our Governor may lose a partner. Since the following article appeared Silver has in fact been arrested by the Feds.

ALBANY — In a move bound to rock the state Capitol, longtime Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver reportedly will be arrested Thursday on corruption charges.

The arrest of Silver, who has been one of most powerful men in Albany for more than two decades, was reported overnight by The New York Times.

While it’s unclear exactly what charges Silver could be facing, The Times reported they are linked to payments the powerful Manhattan Democrat received from New York City law Goldberg & Iryami that he did not disclose publicly as required by law.

A spokesman for U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara had no comment.

Silver spokesman Michael Whyland did not return calls for comment.

Silver, 70, told reporters on Jan. 7 that he had not personally heard from investigators. He was less specific when asked whether his lawyer had, saying “they have not been directed to do anything.”

He has repeatedly refused to discuss the probe.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate at this time under the circumstances to be commenting on these matters,” he said two weeks ago.

The arrest of Silver, who next year would become the longest-serving speaker in Assembly history, comes as Bharara’s office has taken up the unfinished investigations of the Moreland anti-corruption commission that Gov. Cuomo created in 2013 but abruptly ended last year when the Legislature agreed to ethics reforms.

It would also upend Albany just as the new legislative session is beginning. Silver, along with Cuomo and Senate Republican Majority Leader Dean Skelos, are known as the “three men in the room” who negotiate most everything that gets done in Albany.

An arrest would create a power vacuum in the Assembly, where there is no clear heir apparent. Assemblymen Keith Wright (D-Manhattan), Carl Heastie (D-Bronx) and Joseph Lentol (D-Brooklyn) are potential successors.

Two members said that if Silver is arrested, it will likely be difficult for him to hold on to his post.

A spokesman for U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara had no comment.
"If he's arrested, you'll likely hear members calling for him to give up his speakership," an Assembly Democrat told The News.

The lawmaker noted that there has been mass turnover in the Assembly in recent years, meaning "there's a lot of new members who are not loyal to Shelly."

Silver was in Albany on Wednesday to hear Cuomo deliver his combined State of the State/budget address. It’s unclear whether he knew the reported arrest was pending.

For years Silver’s outside income has been the subject of discussion and controversy. Last year he reported making up to $750,000 for legal work, mostly with the trial firm of Weitz & Luxenberg.

Silver has refused to detail what he’s done to earn the pay.

First elected to the Assembly in 1976, Silver became speaker in February 1994 after the death of Saul Weprin. He has served as speaker with five governors and a number of Senate majority leaders, both Republican and Democrat.

Silver, an observant Orthodox Jew, was born on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. He lives with his wife, Rosa, near the apartment where he grew up. He has four children.

His wife and one of Silver’s sons were in the Assembly chamber Jan. 7 when Silver was elected to another term as speaker .

Several Assembly Republicans urged a vote against Silver on that day, including Steve Katz (R-Putnam County), who publicly argued that “New Yorkers deserve a speaker who isn’t under federal investigation.”

Silver has also been dealing with a lawsuit from two Assembly staffers who charge that the speaker and the Assembly did not protect them from being sexually harassed by now former Assemblyman Vito Lopez.

With Dareh Gregorian

RELATED STORIES
Sheldon Silver probed over payments from law firm: report
State AG Eric Schneiderman, GOP challenger John Chaill spar at debate
MORE FROM NYDAILYNEWS

In brief Cuomo decided to boost his image by creating an anti-corruption commission which sounds good unless it actually does its job. These nice sounding ideas are often a means to silence opposition, but Cuomo lost control and people far to close to him were being investigated. So the Assembly and Cuomo decided to kill the investigations by agreeing to reforms so the Emperor and the assembly could cover their asses. "Nuh-uh" said the Feds who continued anyway. The bottom line is that the man who knows the most dirt has just been arrested, and this state is filthy. I thought MA was bad but they're comparative saints, but I digress.

If Silver and others start talking then it's very possible that the Emperor will be seen to have no clothes.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Our Emperor Cuomo as I like to refer to our Governor may lose a partner. Since the following article appeared Silver has in fact been arrested by the Feds.

In brief Cuomo decided to boost his image by creating an anti-corruption commission which sounds good unless it actually does its job. These nice sounding ideas are often a means to silence opposition, but Cuomo lost control and people far to close to him were being investigated. So the Assembly and Cuomo decided to kill the investigations by agreeing to reforms so the Emperor and the assembly could cover their asses. "Nuh-uh" said the Feds who continued anyway. The bottom line is that the man who knows the most dirt has just been arrested, and this state is filthy. I thought MA was bad but they're comparative saints, but I digress.

If Silver and others start talking then it's very possible that the Emperor will be seen to have no clothes.

It's good that they nailed him. Slimy politicians need to be tossed in the 'pig pen' as just reward for their 'service'.

Oink! :biggrin:

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
And?

What did you think this forum was for? Rational discussion?

Go post in the LOLZ PALIN WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT AND ALL REPUBLICANS ARE STUPIDHEADS thread if it's more in line with what you want.
LOL
At least this thread has some substance :thumbsup:
There needs to be more! (politicians arrested for corruption)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I've been slowly acclimating myself to NY politics and political history these last 2 years or so, and have to say this is good news. Cuomo and his sleazy ring are corrupt as hell and I hope this news somehow marks the beginning of a much needed political enema for the state.

Cuomo having the balls to cancel his own anti-corruption project when it looked at him, like he's Nixon or some shit. What a piece of work. NYers have my condolences.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I've been slowly acclimating myself to NY politics and political history these last 2 years or so, and have to say this is good news. Cuomo and his sleazy ring are corrupt as hell and I hope this news somehow marks the beginning of a much needed political enema for the state.

Cuomo having the balls to cancel his own anti-corruption project when it looked at him, like he's Nixon or some shit. What a piece of work. NYers have my condolences.

We're used to it. Corruption seem to be a good term limit around here. Half these people have to resign in disgrace after a term or two. And this isn't a R or D thing, all politics gets a black eye when this happens.

Dec 10, 2005
We're used to it. Corruption seem to be a good term limit around here. Half these people have to resign in disgrace after a term or two. And this isn't a R or D thing, all politics gets a black eye when this happens.
Resign? LOL. Half these clowns get elected even when indicted. Their paper ethics reforms and other bullshit nonsense. I'm glad the US Attorney is going after them. I don't care what side of the aisle you belong to - you should do your job ethically and put the people of the state before filling your damn pocket book.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Silver needed to go decades ago

But he never did because the NYT and other papers were no doubt supporters. After these many years they knew nothing? I don't buy it at all. That's how Cuomo got away with something a heck of a lot worse than Bridgegate and hardly anyone ever knew.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
But he never did because the NYT and other papers were no doubt supporters. After these many years they knew nothing? I don't buy it at all. That's how Cuomo got away with something a heck of a lot worse than Bridgegate and hardly anyone ever knew.

Welcome to new York I guess 😕

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The first time I ever gave a damn about Silver was when he killed the proposed Jets stadium in Chelsea. I'm glad he's getting his comeuppance.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
The more the merrier. Nothing smells better than arrested politician in the morning. Would love to see another state governor put in chains for corruption. These guys need to stop living in the 1920's.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
My God, I hope they can still collect their pensions!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Question, if NY or Chicago tried to join the EU. Would they have to enact corruption reform like Ukraine?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Question, if NY or Chicago tried to join the EU. Would they have to enact corruption reform like Ukraine?

The funny thing is that's more or less how Cuomo and our Tammany Hall got rid of the investigations. Promise reforms and we're all good.

I believe Cuomo will one day run for President and with the NYC news agencies behind him he'd have a shot.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

My my. Someone's got their pretty lace panties in a knot around their tiny little nads. So sorry that one of your precious little dems got nailed. Go cry somewhere else, you self-righteous git.

And?

What did you think this forum was for? Rational discussion?

Go post in the LOLZ PALIN WANTS TO BE PRESIDENT AND ALL REPUBLICANS ARE STUPIDHEADS thread if it's more in line with what you want.

Perfect! That's exactly where he belongs so he doesn't have to confront the ugly truth that his side is every bit as bad as the side he claims to hate.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Impossible.

We all know liberals/democrats NEVER get arrested, since the Media, Minorities, Feminists, Gays and Jews are always going after conservatives/republicans.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
My my. Someone's got their pretty lace panties in a knot around their tiny little nads. So sorry that one of your precious little dems got nailed. Go cry somewhere else, you self-righteous git.

Yeah, I'm and independent who leans libertarian.

I don't give a shit if a democrat is called out for being corrupt. I take offense at the people who can't look past partisan politics to see that this is a systemic issue.