Sheesh...gas prices shot up 30 cents today...EDIT: Oh...summer grade maybe??

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Glad I filled up two days ago but just when they were hitting the $1.20 range...back up to $1.55/1.56 today. Odd as they usually go up on Thursdays, at least around here.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
:Q

That's a huge jump.

It's been slowly going down here, it's down to 1.61/gallon for Regular 87 here.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
From cnnfn:

Oil prices fell, with light crude futures losing 37 cents to $27.35 a barrel in New York. Gold rose $3 to $351.90 an ounce in New York.

OH!! I bet I know. The switch to summer grade gasoline. With that MBTE crap in it (that is actually more harmful to the environment than the stuff it replaces).

Son...of...a....b!tch!!!!

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Around here, it went from $1.26 --> $1.48 overnight for 87. It's disgusting how prices routinely jump 20-30 cents/gallon overnight but it even when oil prices fall significantly on Wall Street, it takes weeks for a similar-sized drop at the pump. Pure greed on the part of the oil companies.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
From cnnfn:

Oil prices fell, with light crude futures losing 37 cents to $27.35 a barrel in New York. Gold rose $3 to $351.90 an ounce in New York.

OH!! I bet I know. The switch to summer grade gasoline. With that MBTE crap in it (that is actually more harmful to the environment than the stuff it replaces).

MTBE itself is bad for the environment, but adding it to gasoline makes it burn cleaner - which is better for the environment.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
currently $1.27 for the 87 at the cheapest place...$1.47 for the 92(93? I forget which) but just $1.40 for it after KROGER PLUS CARD! love the kroger gas stations.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
From cnnfn:

MTBE itself is bad for the environment, but adding it to gasoline makes it burn cleaner - which is better for the environment.

But when it leaks into the ground water (as happened in...was it Santa Monica? Santa Barbara?) it makes it completely undrinkable.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: GtPrOjEcTX
currently $1.27 for the 87 at the cheapest place...$1.47 for the 92(93? I forget which) but just $1.40 for it after KROGER PLUS CARD! love the kroger gas stations.

7 cent discount w/the card? We only get a 3 cent discount here.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli
From cnnfn:

But when it leaks into the ground water (as happened in...was it Santa Monica? Santa Barbara?) it makes it completely undrinkable.
Yep, it's a horrible chemical.

We need to use Ethanol instead of MTBE.