Sharpton vs. Arizona- YAILT

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
by Karen Matthews - Apr. 25, 2010 01:36 PM
Associated Press

NEW YORK - The Rev. Al Sharpton and New York-area Hispanic leaders vowed Sunday to fight Arizona's new immigration law through legal challenges and with civil disobedience if those challenges fail.

Sharpton said that just as freedom riders battled segregation in the 1960s, he would organize "freedom walkers" to challenge the Arizona bill that requires police to question people about their immigration status if they suspect someone is in the country illegally.

"We will go to Arizona when this bill goes into effect and walk the streets with people who refuse to give identification and force arrest," Sharpton said.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the immigration bill Friday. It will take effect in late July or early August.

President Barack Obama has called the new law "misguided" and has instructed the Justice Department to examine it to see if it's legal. Civil rights advocates have vowed to challenge the law in court, saying it would lead to racial profiling.

But Brewer has ordered state officials to develop a training course for officers to learn what constitutes reasonable suspicion someone is in the U.S. illegally.

Supporters of the law say Arizona's example will force the federal government to take steps to seal the border.

The activists who joined Sharpton at a news conference in lower Manhattan said they would support legal challenges that will be filed in Arizona and they are prepared to commit civil disobedience if those efforts fail.

"We're going to walk without documentation to show how unconstitutional this law is and how it's really a violation of our civil rights
," said Lillian Rodriguez Lopez, president of the Hispanic Federation. "It reminds me of Nazi Germany, when people were stopped in the street and told show your papers."

Catherine Torres, president of the Puerto Rican Bar Association, said association members are ready to lend their legal expertise to fighting the law.

"It profiles an entire community," she said.

Sharpton said he would also support calls for a boycott of Arizona. He called on civil rights and religious organizations not to hold conventions in the state.

This should be interesting.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Lets see Al walk the streets of AZ in the summer time :hmmm:

Where is he when the Feds raid the slaughter houses?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Things have been a little slow for the Reverend since Obama took office. This is perfection for him. Republican Governor, brown skinned and downtrodden people.

The fact that they're not U.S. citizens I guess is immaterial.

The Reverend should go walk the streets in Mexico without identification and see how that goes for him. I won't be holding my breath waiting for that one.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Things have been a little slow for the Reverend since Obama took office. This is perfection for him. Republican Governor, brown skinned and downtrodden people.

The Reverend should go walk the streets in Mexico without identification and see how that goes for him. I won't be holding my breath waiting for that one.

This, This and This

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
But OH, I wonder how thrilled the people of Arizona will be with their new Law if they have to put up with the Rev Al for quite a while. I can just see quite a few people in the State of New York hoping the REV Al departs for Arizona ASAP, so they may be spared from his tough love and some one else, anyone else gets a good dose of the Sharpton wit and charm experience.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
But OH, I wonder how thrilled the people of Arizona will be with their new Law if they have to put up with the Rev Al for quite a while. I can just see quite a few people in the State of New York hoping the REV Al departs for Arizona ASAP, so they may be spared from his tough love and some else, anyone else gets a good dose of Sharpton wit and charm experience.

Since you put it that way I support Rev Al in his crusade :D

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

How do you know - or more to the point, how will the police know - who is or isn't a U.S. citizen? Let me guess: the police will harass any Hispanic who looks "suspicious." You must be one of those gun-toting, 2nd-Amendment purists who find any other Constitutional principle - such as the ban on unreasonable searches and seizures - "immaterial."

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
How do you know - or more to the point, how will the police know - who is or isn't a U.S. citizen? Let me guess: the police will harass any Hispanic who looks "suspicious." You must be one of those gun-toting, 2nd-Amendment purists who find any other Constitutional principle - such as the ban on unreasonable searches and seizures - "immaterial."

You seem good with people being forced to buy something they don't want or be punished, health care. Where is your right to be free there? The government has carte blanche then because it's something you want.

Now if police are found to be abusing this, they should be punished. Asking for ID in the course of normal duty isn't a violation of the Constitution.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Yes and given the rampant problem that is illegal immigration in Arizona, "searches" of someone's citizenship could very well be considered "reasonable".

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
See, I think this is irony at it's finest. Instead of pushing his people to become more educated, he is fighting for people who are not even citizens. The people who come in and take his people's job's at McDonald's. In essence he is setting his people back even more than he has. Oh and this is no more of an inconvenience then when I am asked for ID when buying cigarettes and beer.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I fully support the Rev. Al going to the great State of Arizona to march in the August sun. I look forward to multiple YouTube videos of his pompadour melting and then catching on fire while his rag tag band casts about for the nearest Starbux frap.

I propose we invite him to San Carlos, McNary, Lukachukai and Winslow West so that he can get a taste of the diversity the West has to offer.

Personally, I think he will feel most at home in Colorado City.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Please arrest him and throw his ass in jail for life.

And you say I'm ignorant. :)

BTW: I praise the Rev. for this. Non-violent civil disobedience is exactly what has stuck it in the face of racist conservatives for generations.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The other point to make, is that California used to be somewhat of a democratic republican toss up state, until a GOP fellow named Grey Davis passed a really anti-Hispanic health care law intended to deprive health care from illegal immigrants, and it instead had the effect of making it impossible for legal Californians of Hispanic decent to get health care. As Hispanic Californians that could trace their residency in California back 250+ years, got treated like illegal immigrants.

Now California votes reliably democratic, as the legal California Hispanic voting block will never vote for a single republican as their anger at the GOP has not cooled a bit in 20 years.

And dare the democrats hope, this new Arizona law will swing Arizona democratic, while also swinging the Hispanics even more reliably democratic in a large number of other surrounding States. As the GOP goes up to the top and stays at the top of nearly every Hispanic shit list in the entire USA for generations.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Can I just tell the cops my name? Why do I have to show ID?

If you tell a cop that your name is Her209 you will still have to state your real name after he or she stops laughing and calling for backup.

Arizona Ari. Rev. Stat. Tit. 13, Ch. 24-12 (enacted 2005)

Several states, including Arizona, have &#8220;stop and identify&#8221; statutes that require people to produce identification if they are being legally detained. Police can only legally detain you if they have a reasonable suspicion you have committed or are about to commit a crime. Being illegally in the U.S. is a crime.

Last edited:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Even if you tell a cop that your name is Her209 you will still have to provide an ID after he or she stops laughing and calling for backup.
Nope, nothing in the law requiring providing an ID : link
13-2412. Refusing to provide truthful name when lawfully detained; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.