sharpening a Henckles knife

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
we've been using a 7" Professional-S henckels knife for about a year now. I've always try to take good care of it and kept the wife from banging it around. last weekend we bought a 'twin signature' 7" cleaver and the edge is sharper than the pro-s and it reminded me what its suppose to be. i looked at amazon and they have a henckels gadget for sharpening their knives. should i buy one of these to sharpen my knive? or buy a regular sharpening steel? i've seen the fancy $100+ gizmo for sharpening but i don't want to spend that much money...

thanks

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Back in my hometown, the VA actually has a knife-sharpening truck that they send around up and down the streets like the ice cream man. Anything like that in your area?

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
i use a sharpening steel to keep my knives sharp for daily use, but they still need to be truly sharpened every once in a while. but maybe i just suck at using the steel?

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i don't even know of any local cutlery stores let alone a knife-sharpening truck...

i never sharpen any knives with great care before because they were all cheap crappy k-mart junk. now that i have decent stuff i want to take care of them. i have a old sharpening steel left over from my dad but i don't want to use it wrong and damage the knives...

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Ceramic sharpening board is better. If you know what you are doing, the knives will last longer that way than using the machine.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DaShen
Ceramic sharpening board is better. If you know what you are doing, the knives will last longer that way than using the machine.

i don't know what that is and i don't know what i'm doing...but i'll google it now.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Uhm...
1) Go to Chinese market
2) buy a stone ($5)
3) sharpen it yourself
4) ...
5) profit!

I sharpen my own cleaver (I use it for everything; don't own any other knives), and it's at least as sharp as anything you can buy, Henckels included. You can google for proper technique when using a stone.

What's a sharpening steel? That ridiculous textured metal rod that comes with some knife sets?