Sharp Aquos Tv & Samsung Soundbar issues

technicallychallanged

Jan 5, 2017
Hello. I am desperately hoping someone can help. I have a Sharp tv model LC_52D64U which is connected to a cable box via HDMI cable. I also have a new Sony wi-fi blu ray player connected by HDMI to the tv. I just recently purchased a Samsung soundbar model HW-J355. The only connection on the back of the soundbar is an optical digital cable. Here is where it gets tricky: All works properly without the soundbar connected. When soundbar is connected to cable box I get sound when playing tv. When soundbar is connected to tv - no sound. No sound when playing blu ray either.

A guy at best buy says there should be a setting on the tv to force the sound to the soundbar - & also that the soundbar should be connected to the tv - not the cable box. I have searched all settings options on the tv & do not see anything regarding sending sound elsewhere or even disabling sound. The tv is about 10 years old but I was told that should not matter & all pieces should be compatible.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
check your tv manuals
make sure the tv sound output is one your soundbar can handle
usually pcm or dolby

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
If your TV has a optical out then use that to the sound bar optical in. Now anything coming into the TV via HDMI or any other audio cable will be outputted to the soundbar. The sound var always should run off the TV as the TV has multiple inputs.