Shark Fin Ban in California

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"Opponents countered that no species of shark is listed as endangered in the United States and that such a ban is a slap at the state's 1.1 million Chinese-Americans for whom the pricey delicacy is a traditional accompaniment to special occasions like weddings."

http://news.yahoo.com/california-shark-fin-ban-signed-law-000841068.html

It's a cultural/racist ban on a traditional food, there are many ways they could have passed more reasonable laws that would have kept it available to people, they didn't.

Bullshit. those who tout an attack on culture for this can go fuck themselves, literally.

There is no reason--no reason--to consume an apex predator.

It is completely unsound, archaic, and flies in the face of all that we know about preserving natural ecosystems.

seriously--go ahead and eat your predators and watch all of your food sources dwindle. fucking idiots.

who gives a flying fuck what 1.1 million chinese living in America think about this? if it concerns you, then go live in some 3rd rate country that tolerates such ignorance of fundamental laws of sustaining real food resources. serve this completely fabricated bullshit "tradition" up your ass, are take it out of here. Do you also support the "cultural tradition" of using tiger penis to give you vigor and fertility?

Again; fucking idiots with zero argument.

yes, that's how I really feel.

:)

Last edited:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Bullshit. those who tout an attack on culture for this can go fuck themselves, literally.

There is no reason--no reason--to consume an apex predator.

It is completely unsound, archaic, and flies in the face of all that we know about preserving natural ecosystems.

seriously--go ahead and eat your predators and watch all of your food sources dwindle. fucking idiots.

who gives a flying fuck what 1.1 million chinese living in America think about this? if it concerns you, then go live in some 3rd rate country that tolerates such ignorance of fundamental laws of sustaining real food resources. serve this completely fabricated bullshit "tradition" up your ass, are take it out of here. Do you also support the "cultural tradition" of using tiger penis to give you vigor and fertility?

Again; fucking idiots with zero argument.

yes, that's how I really feel.

:)

Yes there is a reason. People like to eat shark fin. Typical liberal attitude. You guys hate liberty, freedom, and prosperity.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes there is a reason. People like to eat shark fin. Typical liberal attitude. You guys hate liberty, freedom, and prosperity.

nah. you're just a brainless dumbfuck. this has little to do with political leanings, and more to do with the fact that your brain cavity contains nothing more than luke-warm pus.

lol, the fact that you'd even suggest such a meaningless connection. back to P&N, you child.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah, here's a good idea: I want to eat shark fin because I like to! that's freedom!

me: uh, you eat shark fin, kill apex predator, then fish populations crash, therefore--no more fish for you, or anyone.

you: You hate freedom, You liberal!

me: dumbass. go fuck yourself and watch me shed my crocodile tears as you can't eat your shark fin soup (which, amazingly, you probably wouldn't even enjoy).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Wait, wouldn't eating the predator make the fish populations grow? Like, grow out of control? Why would their population crash?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I've been trying to get the apex predator restored to Golden Gate Park for 30 years, don't blame me because there's no grizzly bears in Frisco.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
So chopping a small part of an apex predator and leaving it to die under the guise of "its food" is enough for you? Humans are so fcking stupid and self centered. I'd love some soylent green, its food....

Shark, when prepared properly, can be quite tasty. I have eaten grilled shark, but have never tried the soup.

One can kill the shark to end its suffering. Nothing goes to waste in the sea, plenty of other critters will gladly munch on the remainder of the shark.

If an animal is not endangered, then it should be game. We can have "hunting seasons" and regulations to cap the number of sharks harvested to ensure that they do not become endangered.

Wait, wouldn't eating the predator make the fish populations grow? Like, grow out of control? Why would their population crash?
The regular fish population would deplete their food supply as their numbers would become unsustainable without a predator (sharks are not the only predators of standard fish, btw). But, just because you allow people to eat shark, does not mean we will immediately slaughter them all into extinction. Hunting regulations (permits and caps) can exist...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archi...ng-multiple-plant-animal-and-human-ecosystems

certain populations can balloon with predator loss, but then out-compete other populations, many of those which we, and the ecosystem depend upon.

controlled deer hunting has been shown, decade after decade, to actually increase the deer population (over population of deer leads to over-grazing, sick, starving, and crashing animals). Of course, hunting herbivores vs carnivores is very different.

simply: you do not hunt carnivores. Predators are essential, and their numbers are already internally balanced to their geographic area. Bears can be an exception, as they are mostly opportunists. Still, hunting bears is highly regulated for a reason.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
http://www.livescience.com/1814-monster-jellyfish-invade-gulf-mexico.html

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world-s-most-invasive-jellyfish-spreading-along-israel-coast-1.278097

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5876499/Japan-hit-by-invasion-of-giant-Nomuras-jellyfish.html

this is what happens when you over-fish, primarily tuna (serious predator).

monster jellyfish show up and destroy everything. These guys have been raping the Japanese every other year or so, primarily do to Japan's wanton and shameful rape of the oceans to feed their bluefin addiction.

Again, I would cry crocodile tears for these pricks, but this shit is spreading everywhere, now.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
controlled deer hunting has been shown, decade after decade, to actually increase the deer population (over population of deer leads to over-grazing, sick, starving, and crashing animals). Of course, hunting herbivores vs carnivores is very different.

I assume you mean in comparison to uncontrolled deer hunting? Because the only way I can imagine hunting causing an increase in population is if they weren't killing enough deer to slow down or stop the population growth. Without any hunting at all, I would think the population would grow even faster, right?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I assume you mean in comparison to uncontrolled deer hunting? Because the only way I can imagine hunting causing an increase in population is if they weren't killing enough deer to slow down or stop the population growth. Without any hunting at all, I would think the population would grow even faster, right?

for a little while, sure. Then the population would collapse after depletion of resources through over-grazing could no longer sustain it.

also, increased disease and such.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
for a little while, sure. Then the population would collapse after depletion of resources through over-grazing could no longer sustain it.

also, increased disease and such.

Right, that's what happens when there's not enough predators to keep the deer population under control. But the deer don't breed themselves into extinction. Their population collapses once it reaches an unsustainable size. Why doesn't that happen with the fish?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Right, that's what happens when there's not enough predators to keep the deer population under control. But the deer don't breed themselves into extinction. Their population collapses once it reaches an unsustainable size. Why doesn't that happen with the fish?

the monster big mutant jellyfish show up and eat all of the fish's food--and pretty much ruin every single catch (can't sell fish that have been caught with jelly toxin)

as in the links I posted. ;)

But why wouldn't fish populations collapse when they, too, reach an unsustainable size?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

I am not a marine biologist like a George Costanza, but anytime the apex predator removed, lessor populations grow out of control until they are no longer sustainable. Maybe a parallel would be here in North America where bears were hunted almost to the point of extinction, or near so anyway, and deer population became out of control. Disease and famine ran rampant, and now days we use legal hunting to control deer populations so that they may remain healthy and genetically diverse.

Then there is the jellyfish problem, which I don't know enough of to comment on other than they are running rampant and causing all sorts of problems.

edit: looks like zin beat me to it, making some of the same points but probably explaining it better.

Last edited:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Disgusting practice, I am glad to see it banned.

Don't think this practice isn't still going on right this very minute in international waters all over the place, it is simply too lucrative. Until the cultures that insist shark fin will make them better lovers or have extra large boners or whatever changes, the practice won't end.

The amount of shark fins sold in CA probably accounts for something like .001 percent worldwide I would guess.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
While I support this law, I thought people should know the ocean has many apex predators not just sharks.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
While I support this law, I thought people should know the ocean has many apex predators not just sharks.

the japanese have more or less raped the serious bluefin populations and they will continue to do it because they simply don't give a fuck that they are driving themselves toward starvation, so sharks are the only significant predator remaining.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
conservshark.jpg

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
the japanese have more or less raped the serious bluefin populations and they will continue to do it because they simply don't give a fuck that they are driving themselves toward starvation, so sharks are the only significant predator remaining.

What about dolphins such as the killer whale.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Time to evolve you savages. Shark fin won't make your little pricks bigger or anything else but deplete a species for your stupersitions.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Time to evolve you savages. Shark fin won't make your little pricks bigger or anything else but deplete a species for your stupersitions.

I was under the impression that shark fins are consumed because they are tasty and/or as a status symbol (like eating lobster)?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I was under the impression that shark fins are consumed because they are tasty and/or as a status symbol (like eating lobster)?

The problem is they have no taste other then the broth they are cooked in.

It's a status / historic type food that people eat it for but not for the taste of it.

And unlike most food in Asian cultures they don't use the majority of it, only cutting of the fins and tossing it back in the ocean, and many sharks are becoming endangered because of it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Vanity? That's even worse. At least with religion/customs you can blame a God or something.