Shark Fin Ban in California

Feb 19, 2001
http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=17264

Eh? I mean I know it's cruel, but there's a reason we pay up the ass for Shark Fin Soup. As a foodie it's something I don't eat very often. Maybe once a year at those Chinese banquets? But seriously food is food. If you want to go vegetarian, that's YOUR choice.

What's next? Banning cows?

/rage

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Are you fucking stupid? Chopping the legs off a cow and leaving it to bleed to death is also ILLEGAL.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Can I still catch my own shark and boil the fin? I've never actually eaten it any other way tbh.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
good. it's a rather ridiculous practice.

sharks are already protected. can't see why butchering and torturing them was ever tolerated in the first place.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
http://gov.ca.gov/news.php?id=17264

Eh? I mean I know it's cruel, but there's a reason we pay up the ass for Shark Fin Soup. As a foodie it's something I don't eat very often. Maybe once a year at those Chinese banquets? But seriously food is food. If you want to go vegetarian, that's YOUR choice.

What's next? Banning cows?

/rage

what does going vegetarian have to do with not abusing protected, apex species?

in fact, the worst fucking thing you can do is take out an apex predator.

idiot.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Never really cared for shark fin soup myself. It has an interesting (and not necessarily good) chew to it and little flavor, and not much else to excite the taste buds.

Won't give a damn if it disappears.

<- Chinese

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Never really cared for shark fin soup myself. It has an interesting (and not necessarily good) chew to it and little flavor, and not much else to excite the taste buds.

Won't give a damn if it disappears.

<- Chinese

I don't find it that good either tbh. I do like shark though. Shark steaks are bomb as hell. mmm Mako

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Doubt this will stop a few asian establishments in this area from having this on their special menu...

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I've really enjoyed shark fin soup when I have had it, but after seeing that they are simply harvesting the fins and dumping the bleeding sharks back in the sea I have chosen not to eat it.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Eating shark is about as dumb as it gets. It's at the top of the food chain and it's very important that they have a healthy population.

If you've ever scuba dived you'll understand this more clearly.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Eating shark is about as dumb as it gets. It's at the top of the food chain and it's very important that they have a healthy population.

If you've ever scuba dived you'll understand this more clearly.

No they aren't. We are top of the food chain at all times. This is our domain, we just let the other species play in it. Don't be silly, we conquered them all long ago.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
No they aren't. We are top of the food chain at all times. This is our domain, we just let the other species play in it. Don't be silly, we conquered them all long ago.

When I'm out spearfishing, I definetely don't feel like I'm at the top of the food chain. ;)

*edit - For some, shark fin soup is a food steeped in tradition, like the sweet bun with kau yuk and gau at Chnese New Years, along with the lion dance, etc.

So from that standpoint, I'd say it's OK. However, I don't agree with the commercial aspect of acquiring large quantites of it to the point of threatening the species or causing an imbalance in the rythum of nature along with the idea of wasting all that meat. It's akin to poaching elephant and rhino only for their tusk/horns and leaving their carcasses for the scavengers.

Lives lost for pure profit is bad juju.

Last edited:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Eating endangered animals doesn't really seem like a smart idea in the long run. And while I definitely consider myself a foodie, there's plenty of delicious stuff out there where eating it isn't so damaging to nature.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Eating endangered animals doesn't really seem like a smart idea in the long run. And while I definitely consider myself a foodie, there's plenty of delicious stuff out there where eating it isn't so damaging to nature.

Absolutely. Take what you need and not what you can, leave the rest to ensure the survival of their species.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

brainless simpleton.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm all for eating animals, but cutting fins off sharks and throwing them back into the ocean is STUPID

need sharks to stay on top of the oceanic food chain. don't you guys watch shark week? christ.

Need sharks to eat seals so seals don't eat the fish that we wanna eat.

Last edited:

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
IMO ships caught cutting shark fins and dumping sharks back into sea should be sunk and their crew can swim back to china.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Go back to reading your bible...

Sharks are very important in the ocean ecosystem. Like most top predators, sharks feed on the sick and weak, thereby keeping the schools of fish on which they feed healthy. Lions and tigers serve the same role in their respective ecosystems, removing the weaker animals from the herds, and keeping the gene pool strong. Although it has long been said "The only good shark is a dead one," sharks have a very important role in the ocean ecosystem, and they most certainly are not better off dead. Believe it or not, we need sharks in the oceans.

Shark populations are dwindling due to heavy commercial fishing and the general attitude that they are nothing more than a nuisance. This shortsighted view of the ocean ecosystem is dangerous--a shortage of sharks could be disastrous to the health of ocean food chains, including but certainly not limited to the ones we rely upon for food resources. We humans are already placing enough strain on these food chains as it is, without adding the shark to the equation. We must respect these animals and give them the space they need to live. Sharks really are beautiful animals...once you get to know them.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
The practice of cutting the dorsal fin off a live shark and then dumping the live shark overboard to drown is not a responsible, humane, or sustainable way to consume shark. Have you seen videos of how the fins are harvested and how the sharks react once they get tossed back in the water?

I am all for responsible hunting and fishing, but those who hunt (and probably get looked down upon at the same time by those who would gladly eat sharkfin soup) harvest nearly every part of the animal, nothing goes to waste except what is deemed by the state such as the gall bladder.

edit: surprised this legislation has taken so long, but then again sharks aren't considered cute and cuddly to most people or "animal rights" organizations.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's another racist/cultural food law. It can join the other cultural/racist food bans like eating dogs, cats, horses etc.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
It's another racist/cultural food law. It can join the other cultural/racist food bans like eating dogs, cats, horses etc.

*facepalm*

the mexicans who make birria (goat) don't cut off the goat's legs and throw the goat back into the wild.

Last edited: