Sharing ideas with a potential investor

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Any of you ATOTers have any legal background or know the proper protocol to set up a contract?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
This spot reserved for the "I got ripped off becuase of my contract" post.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Well I would suppose a contract in this kind of a situation would serve to prevent the investor for just taking my idea and profiting on it himself.
Secondly, this contract would specifically define how the profits would be divided.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You probably don't want to hear this, but trying to protect an investing idea with a contract is a long shot. If your partner wants to cheat you, there's nothing you can really do. All your partner would have to do is agree to your proposal about sharing profits, invest a little with you, then invest more money where you can't see it and you won't get your share of those profits.

If your partner is going to be honest, you won't need to worry. If your partner is going to cheat you, a contract isn't going to stop it.

If your partner is putting up the money, and you are contributing just the idea, you better get a lawyer to work out the contract. Don't cheap out. Because your partner with the money is surely going to protect HIS interest.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Unless you're in a field where you have a secret formula like a medicine, you probably can't get investors to sign any kind of NDA. An idea alone isn't worth anything. Even if you have that secret formula, the NDA for that and the release of that information comes after you've presented the rest of the business to them.

What kind of investors are you presenting to and how did you get them interested without already sharing the ideas?