Sharing an ADSL connection

SteveBlack

Nov 27, 2005
Hi

I am a total newbie here and I am trying to learn Networking, internet sharing etc.

I have a wired network with 10 WindowsXp clients and a server running Windows Small Business Server 2003. I plan to get a 2 MBPS ADSL connection and share it with the users. What kind of gears do I need? I am keen to go wireless to allow future laptops to connect as well.

What if I need to login to the server from anywhere in the world using the internet connection?

What are the security considerations? Do the router etc. comes with a built in firewall or other security mesaures? What is the use of VPN, NAT etc?

Sorry if my message sound lame, but I would greatly appreciate some guidance or pointers towards net resources etc.

Thanks in advance to all.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
SBS2003 combing with ISA firewall can do NAT, VPN, etc.

However if you are not familiar technically with these terms you should consider hiring consultant, and or buy few books and start the study. It is beyond the scope of a public BBS to give you a reasonable tutorial.

If you want to get an Entry Level explanations for most these issues log here, http://www.ezlan.net

:sun: