Shared Directories In WHS

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I created a shared directory to copy some files to but I don't have permissions from my remote machines to copy files to. The only directories that I can access from my remote machines are the ones that WHS created. I set permissions to full access for all users. I can create network drives of the new shared folders but I can't access them.

Perry

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Ok I answered my own question. My server was installed in the workgroup workgroup and my machines at home are on a different workgroup. The shared folders that came with WHS worked fine in XP or win7. When I added shared folders, my XP machines could not open the shared folders AT ALL including the server. I don't think the wizards asked me what the workgroup should be. The win7 machines did not seem to care at all that the sever was on a different workgroup.

Anyway to change the workgroup name you go to system then computer name then change. Change your workgroup name to whatever the rest of your machines are.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295017

Perry

Last edited:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Workgroups don't really make much difference in Windows networking, including XP. Workgroups are basically a "convenience" to help organize the display of local computers. If you wait a bit, you will be able to see all computers from all workgroups on the same subnet. In XP, at least, this can take nearly fifteen minutes. If you want to see all the workgroups, be sure to start at "Entire Network" when doing network browsing.

Last edited:

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Well I could not access newly created shared folders in XP when my WHS was in workgroup. I had to change the server workgroup to the one I use for my home network or I had no access in XP. It said I had no permission. Everything was setup as having shared full access. It did not matter how long I waited. Win 7 did not care at all which workgroup I was in. I have not messed with Vista at all. I am trying to setup some mirror software to mirror to a mapped shared folder. I am also setting up shared directories for things like movies and pictures and unless I used the already existing WHS shared folders I had no access to any new shared folders.

Rebatemonger, I could see and create folders on the server but I could not acesss them even from the server console. When I changed the workgroup the problem went away.

Perry

Last edited:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Are you manually creating new shared folders outside of the folders that WHS offers as shared data folders? Using Windows Exploer? If so, don't do it. WHS won't know about them and won't manage them. If you want those folders to function as "normal" WHS shared folders, create them from the WHS Management Console.

Sure, if you want to create a folder where you can transfer the installer for your new antivirus program, then manually create a share. But WHS won't manage that space for you, manage file permissions, do folder duplication, do disk balancing, or do any other WHS data management to that folder. Unless you have very specific reasons for creating shared folders from Explorer, then I suggest you let WHS create and manage your data folders.

Last edited:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
My WHS server isn't available right now (I took down my Hyper-V server to change out some disks and haven't brought it back up yet). Otherwise, I'd do some testing to see what might be causing this with XP.

I'm obviously not understanding exactly what you are (were) seeing. Do you use logon passwords on any/all of your computers? Are you running XP Home or Pro? Win7 Home or Professional (or Ultimate)?

Did you get specific, "You don't have permission to access this folder" messages from WHS?

Last edited:

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
There are no passwords accept to get into the console. XP pro with SP3 and Win7 Home Premium and WHS 2003 PP3. If you want to reproduce the problem put your WHS on workgroup and put your XP machine on some other workgroup.

Perry

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
If you want to reproduce the problem put your WHS on workgroup and put your XP machine on some other workgroup.
Well, most of my XP boxes are all joined to Domains, so they don't have a workgroup. I have a laptop with XP Home where I can play with workgroup names, but I've got to put the disks back in my Hyper-V server so I can restart my WHS server. I'll give it a try when I can.