Share 3-4 br apt or house in alexandria/springfield/lorton area?

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Well, I may have to move out of my house I'm sharing now. My current roommate is trying to buy a place of his own, so I'd need a roommate to take his part of the rent. It's a fairly decent sized 4 br + den, 2.5 bath single family home w/2 car garage. I'm only using one bedroom, the den, and I've got one car in the garage. I'd be open to someone taking over the rest of the rent ($1100) and half the utils.

If nobody is up for taking up the house, anyone looking to share a relatively large apartment in this area?

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
The house is just off of S. Kings Hwy, near Telegraph Rd, south of the beltway.

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
$1100 a month to share a place?? I can have my own place and then some for that much...

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: beatle
Not a house you can't.

Actually I think I could easily find a house to rent for that much. Matter of fact I have in the past almost rented an entire house for less a month.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
If you can find one for that price around here, please tell me where. I'll move in right away!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
My wife asks - do you mind kids? She say's she'll cook for ya! :)

Actually, I'm waiting on a job offer for Reston, and my sister lives in Springfield so I know the area somewhat. If you'd honestly put up with myself, my wife and 3 kids (under 5), I'd be definitely interested. :)

But it's a long shot anyway...

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you can find one for that price around here, please tell me where. I'll move in right away!

Crazymofo hasn't realized how much house prices are here in the DC area. Apparently, he keeps quoting prices from Michigan (according to his profile.) Heck, $1,100 a month wouldn't get a 2-bedroom apartment in the "low rent" area in the Wash, DC metro area. Actually, maybe if one were willing to commute like 40 miles, that price for such a place could be achieved - but, not within 20 miles of DC. :)

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
SunnyD, I don't know if I'm ready for kids in my life. :p Thanks for the offer though. Good luck on your job offer!

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech

Crazymofo hasn't realized how much house prices are here in the DC area. Apparently, he keeps quoting prices from Michigan (according to his profile.) Heck, $1,100 a month wouldn't get a 2-bedroom apartment in the "low rent" area in the Wash, DC metro area. Actually, maybe if one were willing to commute like 40 miles, that price for such a place could be achieved - but, not within 20 miles of DC. :)

Sure, you have to go 40 miles to get out of Suburb hell. But what's wrong with that? I wouldn't mind living in Alexandria, or Georgetown, if it didn't cost so damn much. But there are plenty of places just outside of DC that don't cost an arm and a leg to live there. :)

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001

Darn right! This is actually a lot less expensive than Arlington or (gulp) DC.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But there are plenty of places just outside of DC that don't cost an arm and a leg to live there.

Examples?

Edit: I guess I should clarify a bit better. Sure, there are some "cheaper" areas if you get out of the suburbs of DC. However, most of the school systems outside of the metro area are not really worth a lick.

After all, Fairfax County placed quite well in the school ranking that was posted in Newsweek a few months back.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: AvesPKS

Sure, you have to go 40 miles to get out of Suburb hell. But what's wrong with that? I wouldn't mind living in Alexandria, or Georgetown, if it didn't cost so damn much. But there are plenty of places just outside of DC that don't cost an arm and a leg to live there. :)

If it wasn't 40 miles in Northern Virginia traffic, I might actually consider it. :) Some people do it anyway... but I wonder how much they value their time, as they spend 3 hours a day just driving to and from work.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There was a simple "rule of thumb" that a tech recruiter shared with me a few months back. In his example, he indicated that for every mile you go out from DC to work, your salary will drop about $1,000 per mile in the tech industry. If you want a cheap house and and a good salary, expect to put lots of miles on your car in a year - or, join a van pool.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Wow, I wouldn't mind making an extra 10k a year if that holds true. :D

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
There was a simple "rule of thumb" that a tech recruiter shared with me a few months back. In his example, he indicated that for every mile you go out from DC to work, your salary will drop about $1,000 per mile in the tech industry. If you want a cheap house and and a good salary, expect to put lots of miles on your car in a year - or, join a van pool.

Or, work for the government and receive transit benefits, so not only do you not have to drive to work, you also don't have to pay for it! :D

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
But there are plenty of places just outside of DC that don't cost an arm and a leg to live there.

Examples?

Edit: I guess I should clarify a bit better. Sure, there are some "cheaper" areas if you get out of the suburbs of DC. However, most of the school systems outside of the metro area are not really worth a lick.

After all, Fairfax County placed quite well in the school ranking that was posted in Newsweek a few months back.

Charles County.

Edit: And yes, the school systems would be the only reason I'd consider raising a family in NVA, specifically Fairfax. They are quite nice.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000

If it wasn't 40 miles in Northern Virginia traffic, I might actually consider it. :) Some people do it anyway... but I wonder how much they value their time, as they spend 3 hours a day just driving to and from work.

I mean, I guess if you work in NVA, it makes sense to live in NVA. But if I get a job in DC, I'd rather live in SoMD than NVA. But that's just me.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I work for the Government, but not in DC. I'm about 2 1/2 miles from where I work, actually. (You can probably figure this out if you know the area well enough. ;))

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I work for the Government, but not in DC. I'm about 2 1/2 miles from where I work, actually. (You can probably figure this out if you know the area well enough. ;))

Pentagon? Crystal City? My aunt works in Crystal City and commutes from Chuck County.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
SunnyD, I don't know if I'm ready for kids in my life. :p Thanks for the offer though. Good luck on your job offer!

I respect that, I suppose I can kick em to the curb if need be. :D

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001

Pentagon? Crystal City? My aunt works in Crystal City and commutes from Chuck County.

Nah, I'm not that close. I used to live in Crystal City and then Rosslyn though. :D

I'm just off South King's Highway (not King St.) and I work in Alexandria.

A coworker also lives close and his wife commutes to Bethesda! :Q