Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I think he just makes it:

1)Wilt
2)Bill Russell
3)Kareem
4)Hakeem
5)Shaq

Arguments could be made for Ewing, I've even heard Robert Parish maybe. Anyone I'm missing?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
i vote no, shaq sucks.....he can't even make free-throws with any consistancy....and he's pushy..

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Top 5?

Yeah.

Greatest?

No. (someone started a "Shaq is the best center of all time" thread a while back)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Who would replace him in the #5 slot then? If you "just don't like him", I don't think that's good enough. He isn't a criminal... if he was, then I would say maybe not!

DarkManXY2G

Dec 4, 2000
I think he is even though I hate his guts. I think anyone with his size and build could play the game he plays. Not to mention he gets away with so much under the basket in recent years. He has changed his game in recent years but the bulk of his points come from slamming it on someone that he pushes out of the way anyway.

Aboroth

Feb 16, 2000
I would replace him with David Robinson. He has done a lot more stuff in his career, such as being one of the few people to get a quadruple double.

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003
Ewing and Robinson get honorable mentions.

sad to say, but Shaq is indeed DOMINANT but not SKILLED.
he is all brute force... ugly game with no grace, with extensive use of shoulder and elbows towards defenders.
and/so he is in top 5 because of unfair dominance.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Lifer

he is all brute force... ugly game with no grace, with extensive use of shoulder and elbows towards defenders.

Now that Robinson has 2 rings, that's a good argument I think. Anyone want to argue that Ewing or the Admiral are better than Shaq? Maybe FG%, FT%, and character aside from stats?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Aboroth
I would replace him with David Robinson. He has done a lot more stuff in his career, such as being one of the few people to get a quadruple double.

Duncan will be better. He has an insane work ethic

fizmeister

Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: Lifer

Now that Robinson has 2 rings, that's a good argument I think. Anyone want to argue that Ewing or the Admiral are better than Shaq? Maybe FG%, FT%, and character aside from stats?

The Admiral is/was the smartest man in the NBA. Math major from the Naval Academy. Shaq can't say the same :D.

Flatline

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2001
I think you could make a good case for the admiral...he led his team in blocked shots, rebounding, scoring, and assists when he was on top of his game. I also don't remember Shaq ever scoring 71 points or getting a quadruple double

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Aboroth

Duncan will be better. He has an insane work ethic

yup, barring any major injuries i see Duncan quickly climbing the ranks as an elite center.

joe678

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
I think he just makes it:

1)Wilt
2)Bill Russell
3)Kareem
4)Hakeem
5)Shaq

Arguments could be made for Ewing, I've even heard Robert Parish maybe. Anyone I'm missing?

wilt is #1, he had sex with 30,000 womenz...

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: spliffstar69
Ewing has to be in the top.

ahead of whom? Ewing's never been league MVP, only been NBA 1st team once, and never won a championship.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Bill Walton get honorable mention, he won 2 championships:

"Jack Ramsay once said that if injuries hadn't curtailed Bill Walton's career, he would have been recognized as the best all-around center ever. You'd find few that would disagree. Walton was a team leader on defense. He was a superb rebounder and outlet passer on the fast break. Offensively, Walton could score from the post position, his best move being a jump hook that he shot with either hand. Above all, Walton set the tone for his teammates. He was all business on the court and his success is well chronicled. "

fastz28

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2001
Didn't Hakeem owned Shaq in Houston's sweep of Miami in the Championship?

edit: it was Orlando, not Miami. :eek:

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Moses Malone

In 21 professional seasons (ABA and NBA), scored 29,580 points, fourth on the all-time list, and grabbed 17,834 rebounds, third on the all-time list. First in free throws made (9,018) and attempted (11,864), third in games (1,455) and minutes (49,444) played and ninth in field goals made (10,277) and attempted (20,750).

Flatline

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2001
Walton was great when he was healthy, but so was Grant Hill (not a center, but just stays injured)

Flatline

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2001
OOOOoooooooooohhhhhhh, I forgot about Moses...even with the famous "fo, fo, fo, fo" quote