Shameless Plug. Self published my first book.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Xcrown, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Xcrown

Xcrown Senior member

I know the zombie thing appears to be overdone, but here is my take on this fun genre.

I have been unemployed for two and a half years now and am worn out of filling out applications and getting rejection letters.

This is my first chance to try to get out of this hole I am in.

If it seems like something you'd enjoy, check it out, and please let me know what you think.

Xcrown

Deadfall: Survivors

MASSIVE NECRO....Im zombiefying this thread...

Part two is now available, also on Amazon.

Deadfall: Hunters

#1 Xcrown, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. olds

olds Elite Member

Bought it for my Kindle

3. kranky

kranky Elite Member

Wish you luck with your book, it had to be a real labor of love. I don't have a Kindle or I would give it a shot.

4. Xcrown

Xcrown Senior member

I believe you can download the kindle app for free on a smartphone. Its how I did my editing.

Thanks for the plug.

Xcrown

5. ComputerWizKid

ComputerWizKid Golden Member

Thanks for the shameless Plug

[​IMG]

6. olds

olds Elite Member

Nice Heat

7. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I won't buy a book from Amazon, and I have too many backlogged books anyway, but good luck on your book, and I hope you start getting some hits on employment. Ya never know. Sometimes being lucky is better than being good :^)

8. slayer202

slayer202 Lifer

Honestly, I read the first couple paragraphs of the foreward and the writing is quite bad. It seems like you're trying to be too wordy and the sentence structure and grammar gets all out of wack. Perhaps some people have been too kind to say anything

9. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

shoulda started with 'It was a daaaaaaark and stormy night.....'

10. KlokWyze

KlokWyze Diamond Member

Gotta start somewhere. :D

11. Xcrown

Xcrown Senior member

I was gonna start with...

They call me Ishmael. Actually, nobody calls me that.

Xcrown

12. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

Too many zombie stuff out there. My coworker is also writing a zombie book and wants me to proof it. Meh!

13. KlokWyze

KlokWyze Diamond Member

It would be like getting into producing and making dubstep. o_O

14. MrsBugi

MrsBugi Platinum Member

Congrats! So exciting, wishing you success... My girlfriends love zombies. :p

15. darkxshade

darkxshade Lifer

So you've been a lurker all this time because you rather write books than forum posts? I am disappointed :colbert:

I'm just busting your chops, good luck with your booksales.

16. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

I like zombie books, I have read about 12 or so in this format (diary/blog/entry) and I am not sure I like your grammatical style of writing ... but grats on getting it out!

17. Pulsar

Pulsar Diamond Member

He enjoys using way too many commas.

For instance, it's proper to use commas after a sentence lead in, but when you have more than one in a sentence, even after using a word like "but", it starts to become confusing, annoying, and unreadable.

General rule: it's fairly rare you should have concurrent sentences with commas. Rearranging the sentence structure will often remove the need for commas and make your writing flow more effectively.

I proofread a couple folk's books who publish on a regular basis. They write the huggy-kissy romantic-style books. They aren't my cup of tea, but with my reading speed I can burn through a 300 page book in two evenings.

They all make common mistakes. They change tense mid-sentence. Or mid-paragraph. They use multiple nouns in a sentence then use a pronoun. That makes it very difficult to read, because you don't necessarily know which noun the pronoun refers to.

Of course, they have all the normal issues. They confuse to and too and regularly mess up possessive apostrophes.

It's not as bad as reading a message board on Anandtech though! That's enough to make any proofreader want to slit their wrists.

Keep up the hard work OP. Find yourself a good English high school teacher and have them proof-read your book. Once you understand the places you need to focus on, writing will become much easier.

#17 Pulsar, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  18. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

shoulda started with 'It, was, a, daaaaaaark and, stormy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,night.....'

better??

19. disappoint

disappoint Diamond Member

You know what really burns my bacon? Makes me grit my teeth and bite my tongue until I exsanguinate? 'Of' in the place of 'have'. OMG that drives me nuts. I would of proofread my last book but I went to go watch The Simpsons instead. waah wwaaaah.

OP good luck with your book but if you made that error, your book and all the zombies in it will burn.

Hmm, I spelled exsanguinate correctly but the spell check doesn't recognize it. Damn Engrish damn you to hell with that insolent shrew Lois! /end stewie

#19 disappoint, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  20. Xcrown

Xcrown Senior member

HAHA. Good stuff. No, I think Im well aware of that common mistake. My main issue is that I ramble too much.

That, and I kept putting a she as a pronoun for a male character...

Thanks for the cheers folks, and the critiques. Im in it to tell a good story if I can and help pay the bills.

Merry xmas everyone.

Xcrown

21. zCypher

zCypher Diamond Member

Not going to critique it, but my girl loves zombie stuff so I ordered it for her kindle. Best of luck to you!

22. olds

olds Elite Member

It pretty much sucks but I just bought it to help a little too. Heck, it's only $5.

23. fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras

OP, how much does Amazon get out of the $5 and how much of the $5 do you actually receive?

How do you do marketing or make your eBook stand out in the millions of other eBooks on Amazon? I find publishing really interesting but I don't know the details of it, only that it's hard.

24. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

My wife is into the avidly into the zombie thing but I don't have prime. If you can score me a free copy I'll put it on her reader to give it a run. :)

25. AMCRambler

AMCRambler Diamond Member

In for 1. I'll give it a read. GL Flunker. Lol last name made me laugh. Is that a pseudonym?