Shameless MS Promotion: Download Poor Browser - Feed The Poor

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Bwahahahaha! :laugh:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10263790-56.html (CNET News)

Microsoft hopes charity push will spur IE downloads

Although Microsoft is pulling Internet Explorer 8 out of Windows 7 in Europe, the software maker is also busy in the U.S. trying to get folks to download its latest browser.

One piece of the effort is a charity push in which Microsoft will donate meals to a food bank for each person that downloads IE 8 via a special "Browser for the Better" Web site. Technically, the company is donating $1.15 per completed download, up to a maximum of $1 million. [/b]
Makes me wanna puke!!!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
You're right, how dare Microsoft boost market share and feed people at the same time?

So what if they are doing this? I wish that IE8 worked a little better, but it is still a better browser than IE6, and in my opinion, IE7. So, they push out IE8, get some publicity, help feed people.

Besides, isn't IE8 more secure than IE7 (and I think Firefox, but I can't keep up with all the Windows Security stuff these days) and so having people 'want' to get it so they can buy someone a sandwich is a good thing. In fact, in no way whatsoever is this a bad thing.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I think it's a very noble thing to do. Gates is huge into spreading his wealth. I'm glad that MS does the same.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Although Microsoft is pulling Internet Explorer 8 out of Windows 7 in Europe
Now THAT'S news. Wonder if we will be able to get the IE8-less Windows 7 releases stateside.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Now THAT'S news. Wonder if we will be able to get the IE8-less Windows 7 releases stateside.

Start>control panel>uninstall a program>turn windows features on or off>untick Internet explorer 8

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

Start>control panel>uninstall a program>turn windows features on or off>untick Internet explorer 8

Will that allow to install IE7 on Windows 7?

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000

Will that allow to install IE7 on Windows 7?

Why would you want to do that? :confused:

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Download Poor Browser - Feed The Poor

Show me any other browser you can centrally manage on an AD domain. Pre-customize, deploy, configure, enforce, audit, and update, all without any legwork.

*crickets*

IE has had that capability since IE5.01, released about 10 years ago. I guess Microsoft is still the only browser maker that comprehends anything beyond the home/SOHO market :evil:

As long as we're all taking turns on our soapboxes here, I would strongly suggest all WinXP and Vista users update to IE8, no matter what browser you usually do your actual browsing with. Better security for a future that won't be getting any friendlier. Among other things, the SmartScreen filtering is reportedly the best-of-breed at this time, Data Execution Prevention is now enabled by default, and it has XSS-prevention capabilities. Just sayin'... :beer:

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: XZeroII
I think it's a very noble thing to do. Gates is huge into spreading his wealth. I'm glad that MS does the same.
Big deal!
  • Give a man some soup - feed him for a day.
    Give a man a job - feed his family for a lifetime!
Why doesn't MS start hiring ppl, instead of giving them soup n' crackers???

Hell, Microsoft is doing just the opposite - threatening to move high paying jobs offshore!!!

Steve Ballmer is an out-and-out hypocrite!

He spent a ton of money ensuring Barack Obama would become president. Now that B.O. is in office, trying to save American jobs and the American economy through costly initiatives, Microsoft doesn't want any part of it. They want to cut n' run!

If Microsoft moves their operations to Ireland, or wherever, to avoid paying taxes to the "Hope and Change" government they helped put in place, I'll never use their products again... including their shitty, no-good IE8 browser, that they have to trick soft-headed ppl into downloading!!!

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: VinDSL
And mozilla donates how much?
150 million downloads, in 24 hours?!?!?

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/n...ox-reaches-150-million

LoL! Priceless! :D

And from the search revenue their browser generates for them, how much did Mozilla donate to charity? If they did, would it be something to get upset about? Would it make you "wanna puke?" Maybe you have something against the homeless, I dunno :confused:

As for numbers of downloads, ask yourself how many of the world's >1billion Windows PCs downloaded the Cumulative Update for IE on the last Patch Tuesday. I'll guess it's a lot larger than 150 million ;)

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Mozilla Foundation revenue (2007): $75 million
Microsoft Corporation revenue (2008): $60,420 million

Shameless promotion, but at least it's for a good cause. And I have a ton of respect for Bill and Melinda Gates, they do some wonderful philanthropic work.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Shameless promotion, but at least it's for a good cause. And I have a ton of respect for Bill and Melinda Gates, they do some wonderful philanthropic work.
Al Capone funded soup kitchens too - and for the same reason... ;)

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1660.html (NWtravel Magazine Online)

At the outset of the Depression, Al Capone, the notorious gangster from Chicago, established the first soup kitchen. He started it because he wanted to clean up his shady image. Capone's kitchen served three meals a day to ensure that everyone who had lost a job could get a meal.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Since you basically started a thread to take potshots at Microsoft and IE8, I'd be curious to hear why you feel it's a "poor" browser.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Since you basically started a thread to take potshots at Microsoft and IE8, I'd be curious to hear why you feel it's a "poor" browser.
2 strikes and you're out, I guess...

I installed IE8 beta on my x.86 Vista lappy, when it was first released, and immediately had problems. Truthfully, I cannot remember what the issues were (rendering problems, I think - it's been a while) but I uninstalled it at the first opportunity - which was a couple of months later, when I couldn't do a security update on Vista, unless I uninstalled IE8 first - or so the warning screen said.

Hey, such is the life of a beta tester, right? I asked for trouble, and I got it - my bad!

I lost track of IE8 until a couple of weeks ago, when I made the mistake of installing it on a friend's 64-bit Vista lappy - figuring it was a final release, and safe to use. Wrong! IE8 immediately caused extreme lagginess and brought her high-dollar 64-bit lappy to a crawl.

That "basically" did it for me!

I won't install it again anytime soon. Matter of fact, I'm running Vista right now (so much for your MS hater theory) and just hid IE8 in WU, but it'll reappear, guaranteed!

Now, a question for you...

I guess you're a MVP, according to your sig (unless I'm missing the joke).

Aren't you concerned about all the IE8 problems ppl are reporting?

Evidently, Microsoft isn't. Soup to the poor for trying it - are you shitting me?!?!?

How can you recommend something like that with a straight face?

Oops! That was 2 questions...

Sorry, take your pick! :D

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
150 million downloads, in 24 hours?!?!?

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/n...ox-reaches-150-million

LoL! Priceless! :D

For a security fix, that got me to finally just stop using firefox.

Although I am not sure why you quoted "And mozilla donates how much?"

Are you saying that mozilla is so generous as to donate that bandwidth? Man, you must LOVE microsoft then.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Originally posted by: Rangoric
Meh! I was just giving you guys an easy out - that's all.

Nobody was replying to my post about MS stabbing Barack Obama in the back... ;)

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
I installed IE8 beta on my x.86 Vista lappy, when it was first released, and immediately had problems. Truthfully, I cannot remember what the issues were (it's been a while) but I uninstalled it at the first opportunity - which was a couple of months later, when I couldn't do a security update on Vista, unless I uninstalled IE8 first - or so the warning screen said.

Hey, such is the life of a beta tester, right? I asked for trouble, and I got it - my bad!

What trouble? No only did you not really say what your issue was (with beta software) you also admited you didn't bother uninstalling it and that there is a "problem" with a Security Update wanting you to UNINSTALL BETA SOFTWARE.

I'd say WU helped you.

I don't have people reporting issues. And I also don't have issues with IE8. What issues should I be looking for? Your friend's laptop slowing to a crawl sounds like it might have not been IE8 since by any report I've seen, it works better. Is there a specific website or specific action that made it slower?
Evidently, Microsoft isn't. Soup to the poor for trying it - are you shitting me?!?!?

Charity is a joke with you? How can you say that with a straight face?

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
Meh! I was just giving you guys an easy out - that's all.

Nobody was replying to my post about MS stabbing Barack Obama in the back... ;)

Because it was a silly comment. Politics and well, life in general, have people agree on some things and disgree on others.

Anyone that would think that a company would agree with all things ANYONE let alone the President does is delusional.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
What trouble? No only did you not really say what your issue was (with beta software) you also admited you didn't bother uninstalling it...
I updated the post - I think it was (web page) rendering problems, if memory serves me...

The reason I didn't want to uninstall it (unless absolutely necessary) is because IE is so intertwined with the rest of the OS. Sounded like a good way to bork my install.

To Microsoft's credit, they tell ppl how to get rid of it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 (Microsoft Help & Support)

LoL! First link on my Google Search Results! :D

http://www.google.com/search?&...et+explorer+8+problems (Google Search)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
I installed IE8 beta on my x.86 Vista lappy, when it was first released, and immediately had problems.

Yeah, I didn't like the beta either. I submitted some bug reports.

I guess you're a MVP, according to your sig (unless I'm missing the joke).

You are correct, I've been MVP'ed three times now.

Such as...? So far, the worst repeatable problem I've heard is that IE8 gets sluggish when it's been immunized by Spybot Search & Destroy. I investigated, found that it was true and repeatable, and forwarded that issue to Brian at Microsoft on March 30th. Gimme your laundry list and I'll see what I can do with it :D Unfortunately, saying "I installed it on a friend's system, had problems, did zero investigation, and removed it again" doesn't give me much to go on :confused:

Speaking for myself, I'm having good results with IE8 on my personal systems, as well as a few others that I maintain. The worst issues I see are web pages refreshing in Compatibility Mode once in a while. I see no major trends here at the Forums to indicate that IE8 is problematic, and it does have some useful security enhancements, so it gets my recommendation. If there's an insurmountable problem with it, then as you found out, it's easy enough to uninstall.