Shady employee - money missing

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Ok for the past couple of weeks now I've had an employee that from word of mouth from other managers is supposedly a good worker. However, I've been finding my drawer short after she works almost every single time she's worked here. The first time it was short she said she didn't know why. The second time it was short she said someone returned something. Now I just had a customer call to tell me she purchased a flashing keypad yesterday but she didn't have her receipt because my employee who was working yesterday said the machine was having problems printing it out. The machine has no problems whatsoever ever since I've been working here (one year now) and I know the lady knows how to work the machine. Now I have a list of what was sold yesterday and the item this lady wants to exchange is no where on this list. I have a feeling that this employee pocketed that $19.99 dollar item. The item is showing up no where on the list and the lady said that it was sold to her yesterday. My close out for yesterday was $8.00 cash. I still have to talk to the other managers about this but I am getting very suspecious.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Do a sting operation on her. Have some "secret shoppers" come in and have her help them. :eek:

- Kevin

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Is this a small local business or a high profile chain like a dept. store?

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Why do you have multiple people on a single drawer? It makes it impossible to track mistakes like this.

Have everybody get separate drawers and lock the ones you're not using up, problem solved. Implement an over/short policy, if she breaks it, her ass is kicked to the curb.

-silver

Originally posted by: agnitrate
Why do you have multiple people on a single drawer? It makes it impossible to track mistakes like this.

Have everybody get separate drawers and lock the ones you're not using up, problem solved. Implement an over/short policy, if she breaks it, her ass is kicked to the curb.

-silver
He works at a kiosk. I don't think it's feasible to have multiple drawers.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
This is why most retail stores have separate tills for each salesperson. Whenever you have more than 1 person using a till it makes it more difficult to catch the crooks.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Or you could get one of those new fangled programmable cash registers that require you to enter an ID and code to use it, identifying the person using it at that time.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
The thing is only her and I work at this kiosk lol. So if I'm not the one stealing it, who the hell else could it be?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: agnitrate

-silver

my father does this at his business for such a reason. if you need help at the counter....just assist, let whoever is on the register do the actual money handling. exceptions made for him, the manager and myself. he doesnt have any problems losing money.