Shadowplay and G-SYNC not compatible?

Matt Viglas

Dec 16, 2017
I'm running 388.59 driver. I can confirm that launching a game with shadowplay (the GE overlay in general) enable blocks G-SYNC from working properly. Worst part is, the "G-SYNC ON" overlay will still show up but I know its not actually working.

All my testing has been done with PUBG only. I can visually see if GSYNC is really on or not by 2 ways, 1st just the general smoothness with my Asus ROG GL702VS laptop's 120hz screen, I've used GSYNC enough now to notice when its off. 2nd and more important, G-SYNC introduces some graphical artifacts on certain textures on ths screen, most obvious is when looking into the sky you see these rainbow effect lines moving around.

So, If i launch the game with the GE Overlay OFF, GSYNC will work fine. Once in game if i minimize to desktop and enable the overlay and shadow play they both activate BUT when back in the game none of the hot-keys actually work so i can't capture screenshots or video clips.

If I launch the game with the overlay on, Shadowplay works fine, the G-SYNC ON indicator is being displayed but i can clearly see the G-SYNC is Not working..

Anyone have a work around or at least have the same problem? I really want to have shadowplay active but i've gotten so used to gaming with GSYNC I don't want to give that up either.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I apologize as I stopped using GFE when they started the user login requirement mess, so I gave up on Shadowplay at that time. From the web, it appears that they aren't compatible since you need a minimum constant framerate for recording with Shadowplay (?), and GSync pretty much nips that in the bud from the get go.

I can't say for certain or confirm, but wanted to at least let you know you're not being ignored. :)

Matt Viglas

Dec 16, 2017
thx for the replay.

Yeah i’m just surprised there isn’t more discussion about this. I would imagine both these features are popular among enthusiasts.. Im wondering if people are not realizing gsync is getting turned off..

Jonathan Dupuis

Jan 4, 2018
You're not crazy. I've been experiencing stutter/hitching during recording in Shadowplay lately, (currently on driver 388.71). I have pretty sensitive eyes to stutter and I swear gsync was working fine with Shadowplay just a few months ago.

I tried rolling back to older drivers and it didn't solve anything. I've been doing research for the last few days and many seem to think it's a write speed drive problem. I've tried moving location of my video files and temp files to different drives, on the same drive, on three different drives including the location of my game...no luck. I purchased a new Samsung SSD yesterday just to write the video files to, and again no difference. I experience hitching as soon as I start recording, and it goes away as soon as I stop.

I can confirm it's not an FPS issue. All indications are I'm getting 60 FPS, but I see stutter everywhere. I'm still trying to find a solution. :(