SG05 builds? Thinking about 4790k and GTX970

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Other options? I'm guessing the 450w should be enough...does it work OK with the fan up so it doesn't fight with the CPU cooler? Are there any budget coolers ($30) better than stock Intel (that will fit)?

I'm thinking:

SG05 450w 110$
ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC 135$
i7 4790K 310$
GTX970 @ ~9 inches (do they make a blower version?) 350$
2x8GB DDR3 1600/1866 150$
512GB MX100/500/EVO 220$

No CD/DVD or HDD.

About $1,300.

Any hints/tips, suggestions, or specific parts? Concerned about cooling, any options that wont void warranties (or be loud)?

How close in size would a MATX build be?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Guess Ill be the first one here to do a build like this.
If I'm feeling up to it maybe I'll find a camera and get some pictures.

Talaii

Feb 13, 2011
I have an SG05 with an i7 3770 and a Geforce 680 stuffed in it. It's a tight fit, but everything works fine. The video card noise is more noticable than with a bigger case - but I didn't find it annoying; game noise easily covered it. I don't have tools to do proper testing, unfortunately; so the best I can do is subjective.

I used a closed-loop water cooler (one of the antec ones iirc, I can't be bothered trying to extract it to check) and that part is nice and quiet - though I had to remove the hard disk cage for it to fit.

In terms of getting everything in - If the video card is long (which a 970 will be, unless you get one of the -ITX ones) you really need to pull everything out of the case and get it in first, then the motherboard/cooler. A 9" or 9.5" card will only just fit, which means you need to angle it across the case to get it past the metal lip around the top.

And a final note on cooling: Everything will work at stock speeds, it might just be a little louder than it would be in a larger case. But you will be limited on overclocking. The case is a little smaller than a shoebox - even most of the other ITX cases (that take full-size video cards) are 50-100% bigger; I've seen people compare it to the Bitfenix Prodigy; which is more than twice the size. And (short of buying a modular power supply) you'll have a big rats-nets of cables inside - there's just nowhere to tuck them away. But I liked the finished product - my computer went from a big behemoth taking up desk space to fitting nicely into a slot on my shelf.

Feb 25, 2011
I have that case. Just using the stock Intel HSF on the CPU and it fits with a little room to spare, but most third party coolers for overclocking wouldn't fit.

The 970 actually has a lower TDP than my 660Ti, so you should be alright there.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Can the PSU be rotated to pull air from the top so it doesn't fight the CPU cooler?

Feb 25, 2011
Can the PSU be rotated to pull air from the top so it doesn't fight the CPU cooler?

It can be, most of the case is mesh anyway. But PSU holes are semi-directional, so... two screws, not four. Unless you drill a couple new ones. No big deal.

That said, I'm pretty sure it was designed that way by people who do this stuff for a living...

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
That psu should be fine for that build, I'm using the 80+ gold, modular verion with very similar parts but a R9 290 instead of the 970. The bigger issue is that I think the on in that case is the 80+ bronze, non-modular version. Power will be fine but you might have a mess of cables to deal with. If you haven't looked at it the Cooler Master Elite 130 might be another option. It is bigger, almost twice the volume, but its still a relatively compact case and would give you more PSU/cooling options and more room to work with. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA24G28M3890