SF high school refuses to play national anthem at playoff game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Simpsons predicted this too!

GnKaha2RicdFSK-AyvSNPJNBcTSNWmmDuhCOmS0OmU8.png

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
They don't do that around here. Maybe its regional?

Weird. I've never seen it *not* done. I guess it could be regional. I've lived and worked mostly in the South and Midwest. Of course, we recited the pledge, prayed, and got spanked in elementary school in the 90s down South, so it may be a bit different. :p

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The national anthem is played before virtually every sporting event at every level in the US. Even games with eight year olds. The Pledge of Allegiance is recited at any official government event, even local government. This school not playing the anthem is highly irregular, but not surprising. It seems to be the trend these days.
Well, not EVERY event. When I was a kid and played sports we did not do the national anthem until high school. You don't sing the national anthem at a children's basketball game for example. At least that's been my experience, it seems to be high school sponsored sports and above where the anthem is played.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Well, not EVERY event. When I was a kid and played sports we did not do the national anthem until high school. You don't sing the national anthem at a children's basketball game for example. At least that's been my experience, it seems to be high school sponsored sports and above where the anthem is played.

Like I said, I've seen it at every such event I've been to and I assumed it was standard. Maybe it's more of a country/southern thing.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Observations:

#72. His nickname should be Meat.
The guy filming laughs like Beavis. And he should STFU during the anthem.
If that really is the visitor side then holy crap the home stands are almost empty. And where's the band? Pitiful.
Probably not legal, but I'd like to see them chose between federal funding and not playing the anthem.
It is always played at football and baseball games here (Ohio). But now that I think about it, I don't think it is played inside; gym sports like basketball and volleyball.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't know who's ever eaten at the restaurant Mission BBQ before, but I believe it was founded by Army Veterans. Last Friday I went there and got there at like 11:59am. One minute later they came on the loud speaker announcing to join them in singing the national anthem like they do every day at noon. Everyone stood up and faced the flag as the anthem played on the speakers in there. I thought it was pretty cool and had never been there at that time before to see that.

Feb 25, 2011
That's kind of fucked up. I'm sorry to hear that.
Hey, it's not a problem for me. But for a lot of people, their social lives are centered around their church. So, yes, even their knitting club is going to be a bunch of people who go to the same church, meet in a church basement, etc.

As far as national anthems, I consider them similar to a prayer in principle. Some of them are even explicitly religious. (God Save The Queen.)