SF becomes first US city to top $10 minimum wage

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
You are making a number of assumptions here.

Mainly though, you are introducing the usual minimum wage strawmen so you can beat on those.

I have no interest in promoting a system that discourages businesses. I also have not suggested that current minimum wages are too high or too low. All I did was poke fun at a silly comment.

Try thinking about wages with a little complexity instead of in such black and white terms.

In fact, try thinking of the best minimum wage strategy you can, and then explain the problems with that solution, and why they are insurmountable.
Then you will be bringing something to the table. Currently you're using talking-point arguments equivalent to "if we allow interracial marriage, then next people will be marrying animals". I'm not clear if you think most of us who are not pure free-market types are ignorant of basic economic theory. I can tell you that I am not; I am well aware of what econ101 has to say about minimum wage.

Well then you should be laughing that the false claim that a removal of a minimum wage would somehow lead us to a return to slavery. Furthermore you'll also understand that the most efficient manner in which wages could and should be set is through the free market and based on conditions which reflect the current economic reality of said free market rather than increases or decreases made government officials who are far removed from market realities. In addition you should realize that employers will and do select prospective employees based on whether they will be an asset to their business which justifies hiring them at their hourly wage., etc.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Well then you should be laughing that the false claim that a removal of a minimum wage would somehow lead us to a return to slavery. Furthermore you'll also understand that the most efficient manner in which wages could and should be set is through the free market and based on conditions which reflect the current economic reality of said free market rather than increases or decreases made government officials who are far removed from market realities. In addition you should realize that employers will and do select prospective employees based on whether they will be an asset to their business which justifies hiring them at their hourly wage., etc.
You can do better. I know you can. Seriously.

I'm pretty convinced that you do not have any understanding of economics beyond the introductory level. You do not understand the assumptions being made in your extremely simplistic model. You also seem caught on the notion of efficiency, which has a fairly specific meaning in economics, which would specifically exclude using words like 'should be set'.

I'm perfectly capable of spouting the arguments you are using. I can graph them for you, if you'd like. It won't make them valid in the real world.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
The minimum wage has to be ended, it discriminates against low skilled people and the government has no right to tell them how much to pay

what a good sockpuppet you are, care to post this from your real account ?

wait for it...

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

You do understand that our culture of "pay as little as possible to as few as possible and damn the quality of our product" (the exact inverse of Henry Fords famous words) would quickly destroy the labor market?

We actually have a problem with business culture in the United States. Owners don't answer to anyone and have no sense of nationalism. It is just "make as much money as possible, damn the consequences".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You do understand that our culture of "pay as little as possible to as few as possible and damn the quality of our product" (the exact inverse of Henry Fords famous words) would quickly destroy the labor market?

We actually have a problem with business culture in the United States. Owners don't answer to anyone and have no sense of nationalism. It is just "make as much money as possible, damn the consequences".

So why does anybody make more than the govt mandated wage?

Business owners answer to their bottom line. It is their ass on the line, their money invested, their time and energy to build the business. Nationalism leads to stupid things like protectionism, wars based on national pride, and an overall worse living condition.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
while $40 an hour is not enough to live in Manhattan.

I live in SF (supposedly more expensive then Manhattan) and sometimes Manhattan also and do just fine supporting myself and the many projects I have my fingers in. Some years dishwashers take home more then me. But I always am happy. 40$ an hour? A sharp minded person could rule the world.

-If you were so inclined. Not my thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FMNFvKEy4c

Last edited: