Sex Change Operations CAN be Covered by Medicare

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/medicare-coverage-ban-sex-change-surgery-lifted-165659894.html

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Transgender people receiving Medicare may no longer be automatically denied coverage for sex reassignment surgeries, a U.S. Department of Health and Services review board ruled Friday in a groundbreaking decision that recognizes the procedures as a medically necessary and effective treatment for individuals who do not identify with their biological sex.

Ruling in favor of a 74-year-old Army veteran whose request to have Medicare pay for her genital reconstruction was denied two years ago, the agency's Departmental Appeals Board ruled that a three-decade-old HHS rule excluding such surgeries from the procedures covered by the national health program for the elderly and disabled was unjustified.

"Sometimes I am asked aren't I too old to have surgery. My answer is how old is too old?" the veteran, Denee Mallon, of Albuquerque, New Mexico, said in an email interview before the board issued its decision. "When people ask if I am too old, it feels like they are implying that it's a 'waste of money' to operate at my age. But I could have an active life ahead of me for another 20 years. And I want to spend those years in congruence and not distress."

Jennifer Levi, a lawyer who directs the Transgender Rights Project of Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders in Boston, said the ruling does not mean Medicare recipients are necessarily entitled to have sex reassignment surgery paid for by the government.

Instead, the lifting of the coverage ban means they now will be able to seek authorization by submitting documentation from a doctor and mental health professionals stating that surgery is medically indicated in their individual case, Levi said.

Transgender health advocates said that because private insurance companies and state-run Medicaid programs that provide health insurance for low-income individuals often take their cue from the federal government on which treatments to approve or exclude, the decision could eventually pave the way for sex-reassignment surgeries to be a routinely covered benefit.

No statistics exist on how many people might be affected by the decision. Gary Gates, a demographer with The Williams Institute, a think tank on LGBT issues based at the University of California, Los Angeles, has estimated that people who self-identify as transgender make up 0.3 percent of the U.S. adult population. Over 49 million Americans are enrolled in Medicare.

The appeals board's decisions are binding on HHS unless they are appealed in federal court. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the agency within HHS that manages Medicare, opted not to defend the transgender surgery exclusion before the five-member board and had initiated the process for lifting it on its own before Mallon filed her complaint.

The ruling does not apply to Medicaid, which provides health coverage for individuals and families with low-incomes and is regulated by the states. Some states have blanket exclusions on sex reassignment surgeries and the sex hormones transgender people often take during their transitions, while others evaluate claims on a case-by-case basis.

Transgender rights activists hope the action on Medicare motivates private insurers, who often take their cues on what is considered medically necessary, elective or experimental from the federal government to eliminate exclusions on sex reassignment surgeries from their plans.

Mallon was born a man and identifies as a woman.

"When I learned that Medicare denies the essential care I need, I remember saying 'This is not right. They're relying on these archaic reasons to deny me the care my doctor agrees I need? I knew I had to do something to challenge that," Mallon said.

Wow...

D:

If people want to have a sex change operation, that's up to them. BUT, having the taxpayers pay for it seems to be a little out there.

What if I got a psychiatrist to say that I need to have liposuction, breast implants, hair plugs, etc. in order to make myself into what I identify myself as? Should the taxpayers be forced to pay for my elective surgery?

Although this doesn't mean that every sex change operation will be covered (only that they can be considered), I think it sets a very dangerous precedent.

Thoughts?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
But the issue is to those struggling with gender dyphoria it hardly feels elective. It is not the same as a woman feeling insecure and simply wanting larger breasts. The fairest way I can see to help transgender patients would be for the coverage of hormone replacement therapy tablets and, after a long enough time seeing psychiatrists that will recommend it, the SRS that changes their physical sex.

At that point you would most likely have to draw the line. Hormones do much to create curves/breasts etc already and while surgical augmentation and what not may enhance it further, to angle for such coverage would draw too many opponents to ever pass and asking for too much change results in getting nothing. Wanting to transition because of strong gender dysphoria is one thing. Wanting to transition to be a super model with all the trappings is fantasy. Learning to tell the difference seems to be a major struggle for Americans compared to most every other country in the first world.

Last edited:

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
But why does gender dyphoria get "special" treatment besides the obvious lobbying? Body dysmorphic disorder is also a recognized and diagnosed mental illness, so wouldn't having the taxpayers pay for liposuction, synthahol injections, gastric bypass, etc. also be warranted under that rationale? I'm sure that those procedures wouldn't "feel elective" to the people suffering from them, either...

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to have the procedure; just that we shouldn't be forcing an already broke government to use our money to pay for it.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
yet another shining example that liberalism is a mental disorder. Now they want to institutionalize self mutilation.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I do not recognize this as anything more than mental illness. I oppose society enduring the cost of self mutilation.

Let alone for a person aged 74...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Transgender surgery will end up costing taxpayers 0.00001% of the Medicare budget, while fat people and smokers will swallow the rest.

Pick your battles people. Preferably the ones worth fighting.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
It may not be the pc opinion to have, but I don't think that our tax dollars should be paying for this. I know that psychologist study this and think they have it all worked out, it's a perfectly normal thing etc. I disagree, however, and think that gender dyphoria or whatever term you want to use to call it is a mental disease. If they want to pay for it, fine, but our tax dollars shouldn't be what pays for it.

Side rant I don't know how the "T" got in the mix with "LGB", and if I were one of the first three I would not want to be associated with the latter. They are completely different things imo. I think the whole notion of gender fluidity is absurd and if I were LGB and wanted to be taken seriously I wouldn't include the T (since sexual preference is completely different than someone wanting to be a gender that they are not).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Transgender surgery will end up costing taxpayers 0.00001% of the Medicare budget, while fat people and smokers will swallow the rest.

I do agree with this too, even though I disagree that transgender surgery should be paid for with Medicare/caid. Our entire food and dietary system is completely fvcked up, and it's going to take some tough choices by lawmakers to turn this ship around.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
It may not be the pc opinion to have, but I don't think that our tax dollars should be paying for this. I know that psychologist study this and think they have it all worked out, it's a perfectly normal thing etc. I disagree, however, and think that gender dyphoria or whatever term you want to use to call it is a mental disease. If they want to pay for it, fine, but our tax dollars shouldn't be what pays for it.

Side rant I don't know how the "T" got in the mix with "LGB", and if I were one of the first three I would not want to be associated with the latter. They are completely different things imo. I think the whole notion of gender fluidity is absurd and if I were LGB and wanted to be taken seriously I wouldn't include the T (since sexual preference is completely different than someone wanting to be a gender that they are not).

This is not a "pc" vs. "non-pc" issue. There are some things I don't want our taxpayer dollars to be used for either but citizens do not have a line item veto. I think psychologists know a lot more than they did 30, 20, or even 10 years ago but they'll be the first to tell you that they don't have it all worked out.

Gender identity has been studied since the 1960's, it's not a current "fad". Sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. are not binary issues and there's more to gender than just what's between one's legs.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Smokers... no one likes them. Easy pickings.

Fat people however... I've been very thin almost all my life. I look around, I see the epidemic. But efforts to deal with fat people, to control their food... you're going to control MY food. Restrict my choices. That'll anger me.

BTW, how does this "pick your battles" theme work here? It's "cheap" so who cares, you think we should just say yes to paying for elective cosmetics? We're not taking about a person's face here...

Got an argument (links?) for why making a guy a eunuch is beneficial?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Thank god we have a printing press and we can print unlimited amounts of money without causing inflation. At least that's what Bernanke said.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Nothing like having elective surgery and letting everyone else pay for it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
But why does gender dyphoria get "special" treatment besides the obvious lobbying? Body dysmorphic disorder is also a recognized and diagnosed mental illness, so wouldn't having the taxpayers pay for liposuction, synthahol injections, gastric bypass, etc. also be warranted under that rationale? I'm sure that those procedures wouldn't "feel elective" to the people suffering from them, either...

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to have the procedure; just that we shouldn't be forcing an already broke government to use our money to pay for it.

Because body dysmorphic disorder is not improved by moving towards the idea that they have in their head. It only makes it worse. Give someone with body dysmorphic disorder a boob job and they will soon what to go larger. It always goes farther, like bulimia, they are never thin enough.

Gender Reassignment actually makes the person feel like they have the proper body. It is effective treatment for the gender dyphoria. Blocking effective treatments because you don't like it is not rational. If you want to block gender reassignment you need a valid argument why, not just an emotional reaction.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
Because body dysmorphic disorder is not improved by moving towards the idea that they have in their head. It only makes it worse. Give someone with body dysmorphic disorder a boob job and they will soon what to go larger. It always goes farther, like bulimia, they are never thin enough.

Gender Reassignment actually makes the person feel like they have the proper body. It is effective treatment for the gender dyphoria. Blocking effective treatments because you don't like it is not rational. If you want to block gender reassignment you need a valid argument why, not just an emotional reaction.

That's a good point about body dysmorphic disorder sufferers never being satisfied; hadn't thought of that. I'm not 100% convinced that gender dyphoria sufferers are as "cured" as you indicate. I mean, they have the "look" of the other sex's genitalia (supposedly...I've never seen it) and that's being generous. But they will never have the same function. A man that becomes a woman can never get pregnant, can never menstruate, and will always have a Y chromosome. So, while it may be a step towards making them feel "normal", I'm not convinced that it is significantly different than other psychological disorders.

As for your assertion that I want "to block gender reassignment"...I never made that claim. In fact, I said 'If people want to have a sex change operation, that's up to them. BUT, having the taxpayers pay for it seems to be a little out there. There's a big difference between saying something shouldn't be done and something shouldn't be paid for with taxpayers money.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Gender identity has been studied since the 1960's, it's not a current "fad". Sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. are not binary issues and there's more to gender than just what's between one's legs.

So then there shouldn't be any need for a sex change operation.

No, I am against paying for the surgery because even the people advocating transgender issues cannot come up with coherent beliefs about gender.

A more accurate way to put it is that transgender people are people who are born into a body not associated with their gender, or were assigned a sex that does not match their gender
http://gender.wikia.com/wiki/Transgender

You aren't "assigned" a sex. Just like you aren't assigned an eye color, or hair color, or skin color, or height.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What "special" treatment are they getting? If they are truly Transgendered, what should we do about it, let them suffer?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
What "special" treatment are they getting? If they are truly Transgendered, what should we do about it, let them suffer?

I am sure that there are plenty of women who "suffer" because they have small breasts. Should society pay for them to get enlargements?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am sure that there are plenty of women who "suffer" because they have small breasts. Should society pay for them to get enlargements?

Reminds me of the cosmetic surgeon from Good Luck Chuck stating that he corrects birth defects when he really means boob jobs.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008

"We don't need to worry about this when worse things are being ignored"? That's the same argument conservatives use to explain why the USA shouldn't worry about greenhouse gas emissions, when China and other countries are polluting at 50x our rate.

It's either one way or the other. Consistency, please.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So, while it may be a step towards making them feel "normal", I'm not convinced that it is significantly different than other psychological disorders.
Oral hypoglycemic agents don't cure diabetes, but we recognize that it is of medically value because it makes the patients life a whole lot easier. The truth is that almost all diabetics could regulate their blood sugar by careful monitoring of blood sugar and strict control of their diet. In the same way does sex reassignment surgery treat gender dysphoria. It does not cure them, but it makes their life more bearable.

As for your assertion that I want "to block gender reassignment"...I never made that claim.
My apologies, that was not directly aimed at you but in general for people that considers the entire idea of gender reassignment surgery as an outrage or 'mutilation'.

No, I am against paying for the surgery because even the people advocating transgender issues cannot come up with coherent beliefs about gender.
This is not about philosophy. One do not have to understand, or present a full philosophy of blood sugar levels to suffer from diabetes.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
This is not about philosophy. One do not have to understand, or present a full philosophy of blood sugar levels to suffer from diabetes.

But if someone advocating for diabetics didn't understand what sugar was you probably wouldn't take them very seriously.

Likewise. If someone doesn't understand that biological sex isn't "assigned" why should we take their opinion on sex and gender seriously?

EDIT: Basically the whole idea of gender reassignment surgery is a complete contradiction to the idea that gender and sex are different things.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You aren't "assigned" a sex. Just like you aren't assigned an eye color, or hair color, or skin color, or height.

There are folks with parts not properly formed, thus making gender identification as a baby very difficult. In those cases the gender is assigned and assumed. Sometimes that choice is wrong.

Feb 10, 2000
To me this is too small an issue to get indignant about.

I used to be very wary of the validity of sexual reassignment surgery - to me it seemed like self-mutilation in indulgence of a mental illness, not a legitimate medical therapy. Since that time, though, I got to know and became friends with a female-to-male transsexual (he is actually married to my ex-GF's best friend). It took essentially no time to be convinced that he really is a man, and was one even when he was entirely female in appearance. I don't know how common this kind of gender dysphoria is, but it's a real phenomenon and honestly as long as there is adequate screening prior to any surgery or medical treatments, I have no problem with gender reassignment or being obligated to pay, through Medicare, for the vanishingly small number of Medicare-eligible people who undergo gender reassignment procedures.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I am going to get some boobs that way I can sit around and play with them all day.