Severely obese are fastest growing group of overweight Americans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
I eat Chik-Fil-A and pray for Jesus to take off the pounds.

lol I just had a business idea. pray the fat away camps, we'll call it the "the lards prayer", think of all the religious fatties out there.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
lol I just had a business idea. pray the fat away camps, we'll call it the "the lards prayer", think of all the religious fatties out there.
It will be a success!

The Bible Belt
bible_belt_1.jpg

Obese Population
fattest-states-2010-big.gif

Church Attendance
xtdxyofrteurueroj9gvjq.jpg

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
It will be a success!

The Bible Belt

that's exactly what I was thinking, and then when the fatties keep getting fatter we just blame it on their lack of faith and have then hand over more of their greasy money.

who's in?

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Culture of blame...

Can you get fat while exercising every day? Yes.
Can you get fat even though you have a high metabolism? Yes.
Can you get fat eating only "healthy foods"? Yes.
Can you get fat if you don't eat? No.

Regardless of genes, food content, or exercise, which can contribute to or help with a weight problem, overeating is the SOLE cause of Fatty McFadden Syndrome. If you want to weigh less, eat less. That is all.

But but but but...

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Did the school cafeterias try to cut back fat/salt/bad stuffs from the meals and the students complaint and post a few videos on YouTube?

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
How can this be possible when mcdonalds removed fries from their dollar menu?

It must be that rich 1% getting fat now.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
BMI was designed for averaging over a population, so when you use it for "groups" as in the article, that's using it as intended, and it is going to be basically accurate. It's just not accurate for an individual.

Anyway: obvious article is obvious.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm 6'1 and my BMI is around 40. I am clearly overweight, however, I don't feel like I'm severely obese. I have no issues with walking 10 miles or swimming a couple of miles. I also am perfectly fine walking up 10 flights of stairs or whatever. (though I do start to get shortness of breath by the 7th or 8th flight)...

There are many people with BMI of 30-35 who look much fatter than me.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yes, statistics can be deceiving, according to my BMI I am overweight, and I most certainly am not. That said, this is a problem, and anyone that disagrees is wrong. And as others have mentioned in the thread - its their own fault. You know how you lose weight? Have a little self control and put down the fork. That's it. You can eat crappy food and not exercise as much as you should and still not gain weight just by not eating too much...its really that simple.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
that's exactly what I was thinking, and then when the fatties keep getting fatter we just blame it on their lack of faith and have then hand over more of their greasy money.

who's in?

You could get race in too!

map_nhblack.gif

Why not go for a twofer!

:rolleyes:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
according to CA, Pizza is a vegtable because of tomato sauce

According to Ronald Reagan, ketchup is a vegetable...

I'm not fat...I'm just short for my weight.

(of course, I'd need to be nine feet tall) :p

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Culture of blame...

Can you get fat while exercising every day? Yes.
Can you get fat even though you have a high metabolism? Yes.
Can you get fat eating only "healthy foods"? Yes.
Can you get fat if you don't eat? No.

Regardless of genes, food content, or exercise, which can contribute to or help with a weight problem, overeating is the SOLE cause of Fatty McFadden Syndrome. If you want to weigh less, eat less. That is all.

But but but but...

Yes, weight gain/loss is actually very simple. It's calories in vs calories out. You can come up with all sorts of fad diets and workout plans but it all comes down to this one thing. So if you don't want to exercise you won't burn many calories in a day, you better not eat a lot. If you want to eat a lot of food, then you better be prepared to burn those calories.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
It will be a success!

The Bible Belt
bible_belt_1.jpg

Obese Population
fattest-states-2010-big.gif

This is what happens when you outsource blue-collar jobs to China.

Southern rednecks have no jobs to keep them active and sit around at home eating chips all day. :p

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm 6'1 and my BMI is around 40. I am clearly overweight, however, I don't feel like I'm severely obese. I have no issues with walking 10 miles or swimming a couple of miles. I also am perfectly fine walking up 10 flights of stairs or whatever. (though I do start to get shortness of breath by the 7th or 8th flight)...

There are many people with BMI of 30-35 who look much fatter than me.

Operative word of BMI is "mass". It's not body fat index. Or body muscle index. Simply put, the more mass you have, the harder your body has to work to pump blood and supply it. Obviously it's better to have that mass be muscle vs. fat, but the point stands. It is a risk.

The question was asked earlier - how many old obese people do you see walking around? To which I counter, how many old muscle bound buff people do you see?

They've either died of a stroke or a heart attack, had their age catch up to them and gone to flab, or maybe they all took a boat to Valinor.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yes, weight gain/loss is actually very simple. It's calories in vs calories out. You can come up with all sorts of fad diets and workout plans but it all comes down to this one thing. So if you don't want to exercise you won't burn many calories in a day, you better not eat a lot. If you want to eat a lot of food, then you better be prepared to burn those calories.

:thumbsup:

When my wife and I lost our weight it wasn't some crazy diet fad it was simple arithmetic. As long as we burned more than we ate we lost weight. It continues to boggle my mind how hard people make this process out to be...

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005

I am sure you are equally surprised by the percentage of people who do not get this simple concept.

When I hear the question asked, 'I need to lose weight, what should I do?', the first suggestion is almost always exercise. That is certainly the answer to a different question, but not how to lose weight. The first excuse is always, genetic (or flat out euphemistic) in nature.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I eat Chik-Fil-A and pray for Jesus to take off the pounds.

Dude...there's an even more sure-fire way than that...just wash it down with a diet soda. That cancels out the calories...:whiste:

Everyone knows this.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Weight loss starts at your mouth. Not anywhere else. A snickers bar erases 30 minutes on the treadmill. Unless you are an olympian or professional athlete you will likely never be able to overcome calories with exercise alone if you have an unchecked diet.

Lockup the diet to lose weight. Exercise is there for maintenance, a cushion on cheat days, and all of the other perks (cardiovascular health, mental health, ect).

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I am sure you are equally surprised by the percentage of people who do not get this simple concept.

When I hear the question asked, 'I need to lose weight, what should I do?', the first suggestion is almost always exercise. That is certainly the answer to a different question, but not how to lose weight. The first excuse is always, genetic (or flat out euphemistic) in nature.

My wife and I lost a combined 220 lbs over the last 2.5 years and we get asked this all the time. We tell them what we did - count calories and exercise. That is never what they want to hear - they are too busy - its too much work etc etc. What always happens next is they try some fad diet, lose 20 pounds and then gain it right back. Then they complain how they can never lose weight. We are considered 'lucky' and 'unusual'

Last edited: